ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Term time only working

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Costas6969
Posts: 25
Joined: 08 Dec 2017, 11:19
Gender: Male

Term time only working

Post by Costas6969 »

Is term time only working available only to parents?
My wife and I have always taken our grandchildren on holiday with us every school holiday for years now. I started working as a postie in December and even though this year’s holidays have been approved due to them being pre booked I want to know moving forward if I can apply for term time only work so that I can continue to work at Royal Mail.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Term time only working

Post by joewyan »

Costas6969 wrote:Is term time only working available only to parents?
My wife and I have always taken our grandchildren on holiday with us every school holiday for years now. I started working as a postie in December and even though this year’s holidays have been approved due to them being pre booked I want to know moving forward if I can apply for term time only work so that I can continue to work at Royal Mail.
I would like to hope that the answer is no as this would be grossly unfair to those people who don’t have children. Christmas holidays especially!
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Term time only working

Post by Creditshampoo »

joewyan wrote:
Costas6969 wrote:Is term time only working available only to parents?
My wife and I have always taken our grandchildren on holiday with us every school holiday for years now. I started working as a postie in December and even though this year’s holidays have been approved due to them being pre booked I want to know moving forward if I can apply for term time only work so that I can continue to work at Royal Mail.
I would like to hope that the answer is no as this would be grossly unfair to those people who don’t have children. Christmas holidays especially!
No it wouldn’t be unfair. If you have kids you have a responsibility to look after them.
If you don’t have kids why would you insist on having school holidays off?! Selfish
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Term time only working

Post by rehabron »

Costas6969 wrote:Is term time only working available only to parents?
My wife and I have always taken our grandchildren on holiday with us every school holiday for years now. I started working as a postie in December and even though this year’s holidays have been approved due to them being pre booked I want to know moving forward if I can apply for term time only work so that I can continue to work at Royal Mail.
I am not aware of term time working going to grandparent level unless there are jusifiable reasons for the request.
The term time working if agreed includes the banking of hours you have worked and not claimed to support the time off that your require.
On reading your post I am assuming that you are not requiring the full 6 weeks summer holiday but wish to take your annual leave on a continuous basis within the band of the summer school holiday break and this could prove difficult.
Although lapsing is predominant at this time due to volumes decline but their will be a ceiling on the amount of staff that can be off and colleagues with children will have applications for annual leave within these dates and DOM still has an operation to run.
You have not mentioned your contracted hours and the days you work and this would have a bearing on your term time off request but under the 4 pillars agreement P/T staff are supposed to receive variation of contracts to refelect actual hours being worked.
If you are a union member I would suggest you put your first line of enquirey through your union rep as nothing ventured nothing gained.
Christmas pressure weeks are taboo for leave requests.
Costas6969
Posts: 25
Joined: 08 Dec 2017, 11:19
Gender: Male

Term time only working

Post by Costas6969 »

I am on 25 hours a week.
If I am not eligible for term time only then I will just take unpaid leave. Either way I wont let royal mail change the way I take my holidays. My family time is my family time and that's that
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Term time only working

Post by 97gaz »

I
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 15:19, edited 2 times in total.
Costas6969
Posts: 25
Joined: 08 Dec 2017, 11:19
Gender: Male

Term time only working

Post by Costas6969 »

Then I suppose I will just work there till they sack me. Simples.
Family is more important than royal mail
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Term time only working

Post by Creditshampoo »

Costas6969 wrote:Then I suppose I will just work there till they sack me. Simples.
Family is more important than royal mail
Apply for term time working if it suits you
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Term time only working

Post by rubberbond »

Costas6969 wrote:Then I suppose I will just work there till they sack me. Simples.
Family is more important than royal mail
That's just nonsensical, I agree family is more important, but if they can't/won't ,meet your requirements,then surely you should ,albeit regrettably,leave. Why on earth would you want to be sacked?
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Term time only working

Post by rambo1 »

Creditshampoo wrote:
joewyan wrote:
Costas6969 wrote:Is term time only working available only to parents?
My wife and I have always taken our grandchildren on holiday with us every school holiday for years now. I started working as a postie in December and even though this year’s holidays have been approved due to them being pre booked I want to know moving forward if I can apply for term time only work so that I can continue to work at Royal Mail.
I would like to hope that the answer is no as this would be grossly unfair to those people who don’t have children. Christmas holidays especially!
No it wouldn’t be unfair. If you have kids you have a responsibility to look after them.
If you don’t have kids why would you insist on having school holidays off?! Selfish
Another, if you have kids, you have extra rights, person. Makes me mad. You chose to have kids, you get money from the govt for them, you got extra leave when you had them, what more do you want, seriously? All this equal rights stuff is nonsense.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Term time only working

Post by aiden01 »

rambo1 wrote:
Creditshampoo wrote:
joewyan wrote:
Costas6969 wrote:Is term time only working available only to parents?
My wife and I have always taken our grandchildren on holiday with us every school holiday for years now. I started working as a postie in December and even though this year’s holidays have been approved due to them being pre booked I want to know moving forward if I can apply for term time only work so that I can continue to work at Royal Mail.
I would like to hope that the answer is no as this would be grossly unfair to those people who don’t have children. Christmas holidays especially!
No it wouldn’t be unfair. If you have kids you have a responsibility to look after them.
If you don’t have kids why would you insist on having school holidays off?! Selfish
Another, if you have kids, you have extra rights, person. Makes me mad. You chose to have kids, you get money from the govt for them, you got extra leave when you had them, what more do you want, seriously? All this equal rights stuff is nonsense.
Take it you are single.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Term time only working

Post by Creditshampoo »

rambo1 wrote:
Creditshampoo wrote:
joewyan wrote:
Costas6969 wrote:Is term time only working available only to parents?
My wife and I have always taken our grandchildren on holiday with us every school holiday for years now. I started working as a postie in December and even though this year’s holidays have been approved due to them being pre booked I want to know moving forward if I can apply for term time only work so that I can continue to work at Royal Mail.
I would like to hope that the answer is no as this would be grossly unfair to those people who don’t have children. Christmas holidays especially!
No it wouldn’t be unfair. If you have kids you have a responsibility to look after them.
If you don’t have kids why would you insist on having school holidays off?! Selfish
Another, if you have kids, you have extra rights, person. Makes me mad. You chose to have kids, you get money from the govt for them, you got extra leave when you had them, what more do you want, seriously? All this equal rights stuff is nonsense.

:Boo hoo!
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Term time only working

Post by joewyan »

Creditshampoo wrote:
joewyan wrote:
Costas6969 wrote:Is term time only working available only to parents?
My wife and I have always taken our grandchildren on holiday with us every school holiday for years now. I started working as a postie in December and even though this year’s holidays have been approved due to them being pre booked I want to know moving forward if I can apply for term time only work so that I can continue to work at Royal Mail.
I would like to hope that the answer is no as this would be grossly unfair to those people who don’t have children. Christmas holidays especially!
No it wouldn’t be unfair. If you have kids you have a responsibility to look after them.
If you don’t have kids why would you insist on having school holidays off?! Selfish
Excuse me?
Why am I selfish for thinking I have the same rights as someone who has CHOSEN to have children? If I want a specific week off I should have exactly the same right. If someone needs all school holidays off then maybe they should be allowed as unpaid but not instead of other people being able to have time off, there are jobs out there that are term time only.
Incidentally I virtually always avoid school holidays when choosing my leave but do think I should have the same choice as someone who has made the life choice to have children.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Term time only working

Post by rubberbond »

Who's going to pay your old age pension and assorted benefits,if not future generations?
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Term time only working

Post by joewyan »

rubberbond wrote:Who's going to pay your old age pension and assorted benefits,if not future generations?
I have nothing wrong with children, just the expectation of working parents that they should have more rights than non parents.