ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Meal relief
-
Harri74
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 09 Sep 2012, 17:39
- Gender: Male
Meal relief
Hi guys,
Postie of 6 years getting constant hassle from my latest DOM.
She is claiming that my first 20 minutes meal relief needs to be taken at a set time - 8:30am. I'm not even hungry by then (starting at 6:30). In my last office there was no set times - we were trusted to take it when we wanted. I usually take it after I am bundled, loaded and ready to go out but my DOM claims this is disrupting the other people I work with.. The real reason I suspect is that not everyone takes their meal relief and I am holding the other person up who wants to get going. My DOM is telling me if I don't take it at 8:30 I will forgo it. I never take my 2nd 20 minutes (as most people don't) but I'm thinking of foregoing my 1st and just taking my 2nd before I go out. Her whole idea is counterproductive because if I'm not hungry at 8:30 I will be by 10:00 and either my partner wont want to stop or I will have to eat on the hoof. It feels like B&H to me. Its not just me though. She is also trying to force the Part timers to take it at 8:30 too even though they only start at 7:45. I think she is losing the plot....... Any thoughts much welcomed. :)
Postie of 6 years getting constant hassle from my latest DOM.
She is claiming that my first 20 minutes meal relief needs to be taken at a set time - 8:30am. I'm not even hungry by then (starting at 6:30). In my last office there was no set times - we were trusted to take it when we wanted. I usually take it after I am bundled, loaded and ready to go out but my DOM claims this is disrupting the other people I work with.. The real reason I suspect is that not everyone takes their meal relief and I am holding the other person up who wants to get going. My DOM is telling me if I don't take it at 8:30 I will forgo it. I never take my 2nd 20 minutes (as most people don't) but I'm thinking of foregoing my 1st and just taking my 2nd before I go out. Her whole idea is counterproductive because if I'm not hungry at 8:30 I will be by 10:00 and either my partner wont want to stop or I will have to eat on the hoof. It feels like B&H to me. Its not just me though. She is also trying to force the Part timers to take it at 8:30 too even though they only start at 7:45. I think she is losing the plot....... Any thoughts much welcomed. :)
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Meal relief
Take your full 40 minutes at 8:30 that will pee her off.
-
Harri74
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 09 Sep 2012, 17:39
- Gender: Male
Meal relief
Ha, yeah, good thinking! Thanks for replying. As a previous Union rep I cannot remember any Nat Agreement that said you have to take them either separately or at specific times.
-
mark.cup
- Posts: 303
- Joined: 14 Mar 2010, 20:54
- Gender: Male
Meal relief
I'm meant to take my meal relief at 8.20 a couple hours after breakfast! I'm pretty sure they can't force you to take it near the start of your duty...
I take mine as late as possible after I'm practically ready to leave as far as I'm concerned it's technically my lunch and needs to keep you going for a very long time burning lots of calories
I take mine as late as possible after I'm practically ready to leave as far as I'm concerned it's technically my lunch and needs to keep you going for a very long time burning lots of calories
-
Harri74
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 09 Sep 2012, 17:39
- Gender: Male
Meal relief
My point exactly. Whats the point in taking 20 mins 2 hours in when not hungry and then feeling hungry 2 hours later? Surely its better to take it just before you go out so youre loaded up with energy. It seems DOMs completely lose touch with the outdoor aspect of the job..mark.cup wrote:I'm meant to take my meal relief at 8.20 a couple hours after breakfast! I'm pretty sure they can't force you to take it near the start of your duty...
I take mine as late as possible after I'm practically ready to leave as far as I'm concerned it's technically my lunch and needs to keep you going for a very long time burning lots of calories
-
rumble1234
- Posts: 58
- Joined: 07 Dec 2010, 11:52
- Gender: Male
Meal relief
Take full 40 mins regardless of partner moaning or anyone else says.if she starts any moaning cause your taking full break then start taking notes and get on b and h and let them know you're getting hassle for taking your break. Take it easy matey.
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Meal relief
some postmen in my Delivery Office drive back to the office to take their full 40 minute break in our canteen rather than in the van.
-
lightningpostman
- Posts: 271
- Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:54
- Gender: Male
Meal relief
i think we all should do the same, trolley duties walk back to office then start there breakeastie wrote:some postmen in my Delivery Office drive back to the office to take their full 40 minute break in our canteen rather than in the van.
-
BELIAL
- Posts: 6758
- Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
- Gender: Female
- Location: Nowhere
Meal relief
Do as instructed ,take your full meal relief at 8:30 and work to your time. Why work overtime for no pay? RM won't give you an extra £15 a week in your pension cos you worked through lunch
Bye
-
panch1989
- Posts: 104
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 07:44
- Gender: Male
Meal relief
Who the hell has lunch at 8.30? Tell her to do one. Take your break when you want.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Meal relief
Your meal relief should have been scheduled as part of your revision process.Harri74 wrote:Ha, yeah, good thinking! Thanks for replying. As a previous Union rep I cannot remember any Nat Agreement that said you have to take them either separately or at specific times.
Your office should have voted on the duration/split.
The Working Time Directive states that an employer can tell the employees when to take their break - it should be somewhere in the middle (very vague) but cannot be at the start or the end of the duty.
If your break was scheduled as 20 minutes at 8.30, then your break is 20 minutes at 8.30.
You cannot just take it as and when you feel like it.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Harri74
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 09 Sep 2012, 17:39
- Gender: Male
Meal relief
You sound quite confident about this. Another example of Royal Mail inflexibility. Part Timers start at 7:45 are told to take their meal relief at 8:30. Nice one Royal Mailclashcityrocker wrote:Your meal relief should have been scheduled as part of your revision process.Harri74 wrote:Ha, yeah, good thinking! Thanks for replying. As a previous Union rep I cannot remember any Nat Agreement that said you have to take them either separately or at specific times.
Your office should have voted on the duration/split.
The Working Time Directive states that an employer can tell the employees when to take their break - it should be somewhere in the middle (very vague) but cannot be at the start or the end of the duty.
If your break was scheduled as 20 minutes at 8.30, then your break is 20 minutes at 8.30.
You cannot just take it as and when you feel like it.
-
awesomepenguin
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 14 Sep 2016, 20:14
- Gender: Male
Meal relief
Nice one CWU for agreeing to the whole shambolic farce that is the meal relief/break situation in Royal Mail.Harri74 wrote:You sound quite confident about this. Another example of Royal Mail inflexibility. Part Timers start at 7:45 are told to take their meal relief at 8:30. Nice one Royal Mailclashcityrocker wrote:Your meal relief should have been scheduled as part of your revision process.Harri74 wrote:Ha, yeah, good thinking! Thanks for replying. As a previous Union rep I cannot remember any Nat Agreement that said you have to take them either separately or at specific times.
Your office should have voted on the duration/split.
The Working Time Directive states that an employer can tell the employees when to take their break - it should be somewhere in the middle (very vague) but cannot be at the start or the end of the duty.
If your break was scheduled as 20 minutes at 8.30, then your break is 20 minutes at 8.30.
You cannot just take it as and when you feel like it.:
-
korky
- Posts: 797
- Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28
Meal relief
speak to your rep, pretty sure they are allowed to tell you when to take a break, but they also must tell everyone else too or this may have a case for b&h
in the meantime do as said above and take the whole break beforehand, this will also force your partner to have one too as you will be then due to finish at separate times if they take half at the end.
do they take any break themselves as now and are working for free 1hr 40 p/w? that's the way it appears assuming they also get 40mins, eating quickly between loops isn't a break
in the meantime do as said above and take the whole break beforehand, this will also force your partner to have one too as you will be then due to finish at separate times if they take half at the end.
do they take any break themselves as now and are working for free 1hr 40 p/w? that's the way it appears assuming they also get 40mins, eating quickly between loops isn't a break
-
mark.cup
- Posts: 303
- Joined: 14 Mar 2010, 20:54
- Gender: Male
Meal relief
2 hours into a nearly 9 hour shift is not somewhere in the middle?clashcityrocker wrote:Your meal relief should have been scheduled as part of your revision process.Harri74 wrote:Ha, yeah, good thinking! Thanks for replying. As a previous Union rep I cannot remember any Nat Agreement that said you have to take them either separately or at specific times.
Your office should have voted on the duration/split.
The Working Time Directive states that an employer can tell the employees when to take their break - it should be somewhere in the middle (very vague) but cannot be at the start or the end of the duty.
If your break was scheduled as 20 minutes at 8.30, then your break is 20 minutes at 8.30.
You cannot just take it as and when you feel like it.