I would be interested in other folks on delivery who have managed to retain their chain driven transport
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Bicycles on delivery anyone?
-
thewayforward
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 28 Oct 2012, 11:55
- Gender: Male
Bicycles on delivery anyone?
My delivery is singleton van and trolley loops, as agreed after a risk assessment some years back.i walk a minimum of 10 and up to 12 miles per day!!
My age is now having an impact,hips,knees,ankles all wearing out fast and daily exhaustion the norm! Trying to get to retirement without being disabled for the rest of my life! I would like to try a combination of van and bicycle as I feel this would be more efficient for me and the company.CWU says no no.My office manager is indifferent and disengaged about the subject.
I would be interested in other folks on delivery who have managed to retain their chain driven transport
. Any experience or advice on this topic greatly appreciated. Thanks
I would be interested in other folks on delivery who have managed to retain their chain driven transport
-
lee walker
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Bicycles on delivery anyone?
Still have them in Syston spdo leicester.. largest spdo in the country i am reliably informed...still use cars as well. in fact anything to get the managers out of the hole they have dug...
-
zombiepostman
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 17 Apr 2014, 18:13
- Gender: Male
Bicycles on delivery anyone?
Bicycles have been phased out, they shouldn't be being used in any office,our office had a giant skip put in the yard and bikes were brought from all over the south east and cut up for disposal (so much for sending them to Africa) some were still wrapped up brand new. shocking waste !!!
-
thewayforward
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 28 Oct 2012, 11:55
- Gender: Male
Bicycles on delivery anyone?
I am not surprised at all by these replies, but thanks for responding.RIP The bicycle....crazy world,also they were non polluting !!
Just keep on walking and walking and walking and walking....I have an image of myself lying exhausted in the road or maybe sat at the bottom of a lamp post on my round having collapsed thinking about all the things I should of done with my life!! No encore for me, exit stage door left ....soon I hope.
-
wallop
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 251
- Joined: 02 Feb 2011, 07:34
- Gender: Male
Bicycles on delivery anyone?
Our DOM was all for sending them to Africa until he found out you had to pay Parcelforce £25 per bike to take them away,So ours ended up in a skip.zombiepostman wrote:Bicycles have been phased out, they shouldn't be being used in any office,our office had a giant skip put in the yard and bikes were brought from all over the south east and cut up for disposal (so much for sending them to Africa) some were still wrapped up brand new. shocking waste !!!
-
transporter03
- Posts: 34
- Joined: 03 Oct 2017, 18:24
- Gender: Male
Bicycles on delivery anyone?
I'm surprised to hear that there are offices still using bikes never mind people going out in their own cars !.
Our office was one of the first in the country to introduce the shared van/ park + loop system . That was over seven years ago i think.
We also have trimble in all of the vans and they are starting from next week using the pda's for data capture trials. Big brother is watching us .
Personally I can't believe how far behind some offices are!.
Our office was one of the first in the country to introduce the shared van/ park + loop system . That was over seven years ago i think.
We also have trimble in all of the vans and they are starting from next week using the pda's for data capture trials. Big brother is watching us .
Personally I can't believe how far behind some offices are!.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Bicycles on delivery anyone?
thewayforward wrote:My delivery is singleton van and trolley loops, as agreed after a risk assessment some years back.i walk a minimum of 10 and up to 12 miles per day!!My age is now having an impact,hips,knees,ankles all wearing out fast and daily exhaustion the norm! Trying to get to retirement without being disabled for the rest of my life! I would like to try a combination of van and bicycle as I feel this would be more efficient for me and the company.CWU says no no.My office manager is indifferent and disengaged about the subject.
I would be interested in other folks on delivery who have managed to retain their chain driven transport. Any experience or advice on this topic greatly appreciated. Thanks
You anywhere near Hinckley? They’re still on bikes there if you’re really keen. Or maybe you can use it as ammo that some still do, take it all the way to the top..
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Bicycles on delivery anyone?
I remember seeing Postie's in Cambridge delivering on bikes a few years ago when going to the CFF. Not sure if they are still using bikes now.
I was under the impression all our bikes went to Africa or another country? Seems a shame for them to all be cut up into bits for scrap metal. Didn't improve our environmental impact. Wouldn't really be possible to carry on with bikes now given how many parcels we deliver.
I was under the impression all our bikes went to Africa or another country? Seems a shame for them to all be cut up into bits for scrap metal. Didn't improve our environmental impact. Wouldn't really be possible to carry on with bikes now given how many parcels we deliver.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Bicycles on delivery anyone?
No, Syston is twenty miles from Hinckley, the other side of Leicester.LaggyBand wrote:thewayforward wrote:My delivery is singleton van and trolley loops, as agreed after a risk assessment some years back.i walk a minimum of 10 and up to 12 miles per day!!My age is now having an impact,hips,knees,ankles all wearing out fast and daily exhaustion the norm! Trying to get to retirement without being disabled for the rest of my life! I would like to try a combination of van and bicycle as I feel this would be more efficient for me and the company.CWU says no no.My office manager is indifferent and disengaged about the subject.
I would be interested in other folks on delivery who have managed to retain their chain driven transport. Any experience or advice on this topic greatly appreciated. Thanks
You anywhere near Hinckley? They’re still on bikes there if you’re really keen. Or maybe you can use it as ammo that some still do, take it all the way to the top..
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Bicycles on delivery anyone?
I’m confused as to what you mean.Lounge Lizard wrote:No, Syston is twenty miles from Hinckley, the other side of Leicester.LaggyBand wrote:thewayforward wrote:My delivery is singleton van and trolley loops, as agreed after a risk assessment some years back.i walk a minimum of 10 and up to 12 miles per day!!My age is now having an impact,hips,knees,ankles all wearing out fast and daily exhaustion the norm! Trying to get to retirement without being disabled for the rest of my life! I would like to try a combination of van and bicycle as I feel this would be more efficient for me and the company.CWU says no no.My office manager is indifferent and disengaged about the subject.
I would be interested in other folks on delivery who have managed to retain their chain driven transport. Any experience or advice on this topic greatly appreciated. Thanks
You anywhere near Hinckley? They’re still on bikes there if you’re really keen. Or maybe you can use it as ammo that some still do, take it all the way to the top..
I’m saying bikes are still used at Hinckley if he’s interested.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Bicycles on delivery anyone?
Well you had better believe it cos some offices are very much behind am sorry to say,not sure if that’s a good or bad thing,we don’t tend to be concerned as to what’s going on around us,we have enough battles to fight in our office,but dare say it will come to us all,hopefully I’ll be long gonetransporter03 wrote:I'm surprised to hear that there are offices still using bikes never mind people going out in their own cars !.
Our office was one of the first in the country to introduce the shared van/ park + loop system . That was over seven years ago i think.
We also have trimble in all of the vans and they are starting from next week using the pda's for data capture trials. Big brother is watching us .
Personally I can't believe how far behind some offices are!.
-
paulsmd
- Posts: 88
- Joined: 12 Oct 2008, 09:04
- Gender: Male
Bicycles on delivery anyone?
I was doing shared van 11 years ago.transporter03 wrote:I'm surprised to hear that there are offices still using bikes never mind people going out in their own cars !.
Our office was one of the first in the country to introduce the shared van/ park + loop system . That was over seven years ago i think.
We also have trimble in all of the vans and they are starting from next week using the pda's for data capture trials. Big brother is watching us .
Personally I can't believe how far behind some offices are!.
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Bicycles on delivery anyone?
Ahh the good old days!