ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Reserve or not?!
-
postmail3
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 28 Jan 2018, 19:33
- Gender: Female
Reserve or not?!
This may sound dumb but I've only been with RM for 6 weeks and there's so many different titles going around it doesn't state in my contract but I've been told I'm a reserve by another postie in my DO. I'm not sure what that means or even if they are correct!! How will I know or not?!
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32798
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Reserve or not?!
You're a reserve.
You do various duties/walks as and when.
You do various duties/walks as and when.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Reserve or not?!
What it will state in your contract is the total amount of hours you are required to work for the week and over and above this is voluntary and with your consent.postmail3 wrote:This may sound dumb but I've only been with RM for 6 weeks and there's so many different titles going around it doesn't state in my contract but I've been told I'm a reserve by another postie in my DO. I'm not sure what that means or even if they are correct!! How will I know or not?!
Do not be intimadated or pressurised by your manager if you are unable to complete the deliveries on your walk as your workplace coach will have advised you of the procedure for cutting off to finish on duty time.
Fully realise that you will be on a probationary period and want to impress but set your stance from the outset to avoid any clash with management.
ENROL AS A UNION MEMBER WILL BE BENEFICIAL IN THE LONG RUN.
As " POSTMAN" mentioned you are a reserve which means you will be given various walks to cover for illness and holiday leave as you officially do not have a designated signed duty and ensure that you are given adequate training in the various walks.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Reserve or not?!
At the top you have duty holders. They do the same duty every day.
Then you have the floaters who cover the duty holder's day off. They cover the same 4/5 duties each week.
Then the reserves who cover annual leave/sickness/vacancies/whatever whenever.
The duties are allocated by seniority.
Then you have the floaters who cover the duty holder's day off. They cover the same 4/5 duties each week.
Then the reserves who cover annual leave/sickness/vacancies/whatever whenever.
The duties are allocated by seniority.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Warriorpostie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 118
- Joined: 23 Jan 2018, 17:01
- Gender: Male
Reserve or not?!
I have a grievance in about this. I’m in the job going on 9 years, transferred to a DO closer to home & they class me as a “reserve” even tho I have more seniority than half of the staff in the place. Also I’ve only had one Saturday off in two years because I am a “reserve”.
-
citypostie
- Posts: 895
- Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
- Gender: Male
Reserve or not?!
You cant expect to move to an office and jump on a round even if the person on it has fallen lucky and got it with hardly any time in. Unless you moved there after applying for a vacant duty you will be a reserve! Youll have to wait until a job goes on the board or theres a repick. Cant believe with 9 years youd be anywhere on a seniority list. The lowest full time leave reserve in my office has got 16 years in and hes still 50+ on the list. Hes no chance of his own round anytime soonWarriorpostie wrote:I have a grievance in about this. I’m in the job going on 9 years, transferred to a DO closer to home & they class me as a “reserve” even tho I have more seniority than half of the staff in the place. Also I’ve only had one Saturday off in two years because I am a “reserve”.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Reserve or not?!
You could enquire with your union rep and/or DOM about getting more Saturdays or long weekends off. Every office is different in terms of age ratio. I get the impression there are a lot more younger, or younger people than me, doing the job nowadays. Our office has a high percentage of posties over 40 & over 50 but I gather other office have more younger people so 9 years service might put you further up the list there. But if you transfer and there isn't a spare walk waiting you have to wait your turn.Warriorpostie wrote:I have a grievance in about this. I’m in the job going on 9 years, transferred to a DO closer to home & they class me as a “reserve” even tho I have more seniority than half of the staff in the place. Also I’ve only had one Saturday off in two years because I am a “reserve”.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.