ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
6 weeks in - close to leaving
-
Ralpho
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 25 Feb 2018, 09:41
- Gender: Male
6 weeks in - close to leaving
As the title says I'm seriously considering handing in my notice.
Six weeks in and very unhappy.
My training consisted of one day observing a trainer doing the round, the next day he observed me and since day three I've been winging it.
My HCT is regularly over 100kg, I'm using two bags to carry all the mail and parcels.
Haven't had a tea break yet, running over by about 90 minutes every day - 3hours on a particularly busy day.
Subjected to a tirade of verbal abuse from a very unhappy householder holding a pair of scissors - two days later I got told off for not scanning the parcel that was snatched out of hands and thrown back in my face. I explained I was a bit shook up by it all, still got reprimanded.
Made a mistake with a 1pm special and ran to the door, scanned it at 1.03pm, another bollocking-first time anyone explained to me how important they are.
Again I pointed out this was news to me, still got told off by 3 different people.
All in all, I don't think it's for me.
Six weeks in and very unhappy.
My training consisted of one day observing a trainer doing the round, the next day he observed me and since day three I've been winging it.
My HCT is regularly over 100kg, I'm using two bags to carry all the mail and parcels.
Haven't had a tea break yet, running over by about 90 minutes every day - 3hours on a particularly busy day.
Subjected to a tirade of verbal abuse from a very unhappy householder holding a pair of scissors - two days later I got told off for not scanning the parcel that was snatched out of hands and thrown back in my face. I explained I was a bit shook up by it all, still got reprimanded.
Made a mistake with a 1pm special and ran to the door, scanned it at 1.03pm, another bollocking-first time anyone explained to me how important they are.
Again I pointed out this was news to me, still got told off by 3 different people.
All in all, I don't think it's for me.
-
seaside
- Posts: 266
- Joined: 31 May 2013, 18:51
- Gender: Female
6 weeks in - close to leaving
Sorry to hear, sometimes workloads are too much in the given time, which upsets me that our union are not addressing this, as far as I know. Speak to your manager first about not being able to finish on time.
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
6 weeks in - close to leaving
I think your problem is that you're on an HCT round, much as I dislike van share, I absolutely despise HCT, and putting new people on them is stupid. The point is ,if you were with a more experienced member of staff they could guide you and build your confidence,instead of you having to "wing it". The training is poor from what I've seen in the offices I have worked at,so that doesn't help. Try asking to go on a van share before you cut and run,see if that improves matters.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
6 weeks in - close to leaving
Give it a few more weeks. I was on a hct round when i started, for the first couple of months the walk just didn't seem to flow, and i seemed to be just not "getting it" which slowed me down.
A couple of pointers which i found helpful, try to number the bundles and load the trolley"backwards" so that the first bundle you need is at the top, and the last at the bottom. Do the same with the packets, so that the ones you need first are at the top.
I do agree that learning the ropes on a van share is helpful as there would be a more experienced colleague to help out.
I also agree that training for new starts could be a lot better!
A couple of pointers which i found helpful, try to number the bundles and load the trolley"backwards" so that the first bundle you need is at the top, and the last at the bottom. Do the same with the packets, so that the ones you need first are at the top.
I do agree that learning the ropes on a van share is helpful as there would be a more experienced colleague to help out.
I also agree that training for new starts could be a lot better!
-
Ralpho
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 25 Feb 2018, 09:41
- Gender: Male
6 weeks in - close to leaving
Thanks for the advice and responses.
The training is very poor, expecting someone to impart everything in a shift and someone else to pick it all up in the same time is impossible.
It's an incredibly sharp learning curve and from what I'm seeing the only feedback you get is when something goes wrong.
The training is very poor, expecting someone to impart everything in a shift and someone else to pick it all up in the same time is impossible.
It's an incredibly sharp learning curve and from what I'm seeing the only feedback you get is when something goes wrong.
-
Charliecat
- Posts: 92
- Joined: 16 Dec 2017, 09:29
- Gender: Female
6 weeks in - close to leaving
I started 2 months ago and have been on a Trolley round for all but a week of that time. I am female and let me tell you this ...they aren't really bothered that you're pushing the weight of at least 2 grown adults and more. It's hard work and it's complicated sorting the parcels to your bundles and also remembering the specials. You are right about feedback too. They haven't asked me once how I'm getting on , enjoying it etc. They expect a lot off people and don't care if you are exhausted as long as post gets delivered. It's a thankless job. As for customers , well looking at your watch when your post comes won't get it delivered any faster lol. Waiting for someone to find their keys, and even answer the door to you wastes so much time too and they wonder why the round takes longer than expected . I am now waiting to go on a van round to see if it's better. I hope you can sort out your problems as the money isn't bad . Good luck
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
6 weeks in - close to leaving
Any job is tough to start with and RM will not bend over backwards to make it any easier for you. Grit your teeth and get on with it, it does get easier after 10 years or so! 
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
Ralpho
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 25 Feb 2018, 09:41
- Gender: Male
6 weeks in - close to leaving
Lol good to knowJudgee wrote:Any job is tough to start with and RM will not bend over backwards to make it any easier for you. Grit your teeth and get on with it, it does get easier after 10 years or so!
-
2pints
- Posts: 286
- Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
- Gender: Male
6 weeks in - close to leaving
Dont give up just yet,sounds like you have been given a rough start,summers coming and usually gets quieter and more enjoyable and you get a tan as a bonus. 
-
zombiepostman
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 17 Apr 2014, 18:13
- Gender: Male
6 weeks in - close to leaving
i think you should give it a bit longer as i have found that new posties get to a point where the job suddenly just clicks and you find the job a lot easier,
i myself do an hct round that i find better than van share as you don't have to rely on other people.
give it at least 3 months then make your decision
i myself do an hct round that i find better than van share as you don't have to rely on other people.
give it at least 3 months then make your decision
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
6 weeks in - close to leaving
6 to 8 weeks on average is when most posties hit the wall. Hang tough for a few weeks and you WILL start enjoying the outside part. It just clicks all of a sudden, also you only just started at what I think is the worst time of the year, IMHO its worse than Christmas, the new financial year generates loads of letters etc, and the recent weather gave the snowbound plenty of time to surf the next and blow their bank balances.Ralpho wrote:Lol good to knowJudgee wrote:Any job is tough to start with and RM will not bend over backwards to make it any easier for you. Grit your teeth and get on with it, it does get easier after 10 years or so!
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
6 weeks in - close to leaving
The training is appauling for such a large company. I've said this before: basically there isn't any. I count myself quite lucky, I learnt from being paired with decent posties.
Give it more time though. It's a great job once you're through this stage. March was a really shite month with volumes and weather so it wouldn't have been on easy time to start but summer is coming where it really slows down. You'll also get better, I find it takes about 3 months to get upto speed.
Give it more time though. It's a great job once you're through this stage. March was a really shite month with volumes and weather so it wouldn't have been on easy time to start but summer is coming where it really slows down. You'll also get better, I find it takes about 3 months to get upto speed.
-
nelly21
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 50
- Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 14:14
- Gender: Male
6 weeks in - close to leaving
dont give up it will get easier in time , talk to your union rep for advice
-
korky
- Posts: 797
- Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28
6 weeks in - close to leaving
as 1pm's failures are a big no'no, in future inform a manager that you may struggle for it, it's easy in a van to break off to do.
any half decent (??) manager will get it taken for you as they probably get a bigger bollocking for these failures,
another tip if you do go by 1pm is to get them to sign an epod and do not scan it at all
they can then input it later manually and won't fail (unless recipient complains which is doubtful) your manager would prefer this and if he gets ratty just say pda went haywire.
any half decent (??) manager will get it taken for you as they probably get a bigger bollocking for these failures,
another tip if you do go by 1pm is to get them to sign an epod and do not scan it at all
they can then input it later manually and won't fail (unless recipient complains which is doubtful) your manager would prefer this and if he gets ratty just say pda went haywire.
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
6 weeks in - close to leaving
If you can retrain in another field, I would recommend that as you just get taken the piss out of all the time in this job.