ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
How to talk to managers about mental health
-
Kid0192
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 18 Mar 2018, 12:08
- Gender: Male
How to talk to managers about mental health
Hi, I have worked for royal mail for 15 years and have been diagnosed with clinical depression. I believe that royal mail and royal mail manager's do not understand the management of mental health within the work place. I have witnessed this recently myself. I would like to raise this awareness, as I am sure there are other colleagues in this situation.
Last edited by Kid0192 on 19 Mar 2018, 19:44, edited 2 times in total.
-
woody38
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 273
- Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
- Gender: Male
How to talk to managers about my mental health
You are right about mental health & management, I have autism and I am laughed at called names on a daily basis, a lot of it is by management, there is no one to talk to about it. Moria Green say one of the charities it supports is mental health but then does nothing about mental health in her own workforce. The problem for me has got so bad I am seriously thinking of walking away from a job I love, I hope u get the help u need with your problems but don’t expect much from RM managers as many have said on here most but not all are the problem with Royal Mail.
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
How to talk to managers about my mental health
That is a disgrace no way as a workmate would i allow that to happen, some people/idiots think its being funny. Do they know about your Autism if not tell them and i am sure it will stop and they will be ashamed of their actions.woody38 wrote:You are right about mental health & management, I have autism and I am laughed at called names on a daily basis, a lot of it is by management, there is no one to talk to about it. Moria Green say one of the charities it supports is mental health but then does nothing about mental health in her own workforce. The problem for me has got so bad I am seriously thinking of walking away from a job I love, I hope u get the help u need with your problems but don’t expect much from RM managers as many have said on here most but not all are the problem with Royal Mail.
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
How to talk to managers about my mental health
The management mantra seems to be "don't ask, don't tell"
They are poorly trained and very ill equipped to deal with employees dealing with mental health conditions.
On the plus side, when I recently needed time off (which everyone saw coming except me) I didn't get the usual harassment demanding to know when I'd be be back, I was left well alone which was exactly what I needed
However, I was refused a return to work chat (and let's pretend for a moment they would make some minor changes to assist someone with a physical illness or injury)
which we could have used to make things easier for everyone.
Meanwhile I get to walk around the office being bullied by some colleagues, and looked at by management as though I'm the classic horror movie "escaped mental patient" type, and patronisingly spoken too like I'm completely delusional and don't know my own mind.
Sorry for the rant, but the gist is, as much as RM claim to be "mental health aware" at the moment, they really really are not.
On the positive side, I have some effing awesome colleagues who have really supported me and helped more than they realise, in ways that I just can't put in to words.
They are poorly trained and very ill equipped to deal with employees dealing with mental health conditions.
On the plus side, when I recently needed time off (which everyone saw coming except me) I didn't get the usual harassment demanding to know when I'd be be back, I was left well alone which was exactly what I needed
However, I was refused a return to work chat (and let's pretend for a moment they would make some minor changes to assist someone with a physical illness or injury)
which we could have used to make things easier for everyone.
Meanwhile I get to walk around the office being bullied by some colleagues, and looked at by management as though I'm the classic horror movie "escaped mental patient" type, and patronisingly spoken too like I'm completely delusional and don't know my own mind.
Sorry for the rant, but the gist is, as much as RM claim to be "mental health aware" at the moment, they really really are not.
On the positive side, I have some effing awesome colleagues who have really supported me and helped more than they realise, in ways that I just can't put in to words.
-
woody38
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 273
- Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
- Gender: Male
How to talk to managers about my mental health
I work in Quite a small clickey office where everybody knows everybody business, I should have gone years ago all my mates have gone, everybody I cared about has gone just me left. I was offered EVR about 2 years ago, the worst mistake I ever made in my life was to staycpsteve wrote:That is a disgrace no way as a workmate would i allow that to happen, some people/idiots think its being funny. Do they know about your Autism if not tell them and i am sure it will stop and they will be ashamed of their actions.woody38 wrote:You are right about mental health & management, I have autism and I am laughed at called names on a daily basis, a lot of it is by management, there is no one to talk to about it. Moria Green say one of the charities it supports is mental health but then does nothing about mental health in her own workforce. The problem for me has got so bad I am seriously thinking of walking away from a job I love, I hope u get the help u need with your problems but don’t expect much from RM managers as many have said on here most but not all are the problem with Royal Mail.
When I am out on delivery I have no problems, I even have some real good friends that I have made on my walk, I even do overtime in a mail centre callers office which is a lot bigger than where I work & do not have the problems that I have on a daily basis at my work place. I have answered the question myself what the hell are u doing there, but as I have said I love my job epecially the outside part.
Just do not know what to do about it, I do not want to end my life but the problems that I have on a daily basis are really getting me down.
-
rjay87
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 31 Mar 2015, 21:28
- Gender: Male
How to talk to managers about my mental health
I
Last edited by rjay87 on 30 Jul 2018, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
How to talk to managers about my mental health
These posts are so sad,come on Royal Mail I thought you were supposed to care about your employees mental health!!
-
malcdj
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 02 Mar 2014, 09:46
- Gender: Male
How to talk to managers about my mental health
I had to leave RM on IHR with mental health problems, absolutely no help or understanding from management or colleagues or the union, the rep even cancelled coming to my leaving interview. Manager said my stress and anxiety was nothing compared to how he felt organising the Rotors. All I ever got from managers was lies, abuse and “pull yourself together man”
I now work for a very understanding organisation, managers and staff do all they can to help me with any problem I might have.
I still read this forum site because Basically I enjoyed my job as a postie and yes I still miss it after 3 years away, if it wasn’t for the s**t management I would still be there now. I know that does not make sense, even my wife can not understand why I think that way, but as I said “I have mental health issues!” but now my life is better, happier and less stressful.
Keep up the fight, stand up for self if you can and remember there is life outside of Royal Mail
I now work for a very understanding organisation, managers and staff do all they can to help me with any problem I might have.
I still read this forum site because Basically I enjoyed my job as a postie and yes I still miss it after 3 years away, if it wasn’t for the s**t management I would still be there now. I know that does not make sense, even my wife can not understand why I think that way, but as I said “I have mental health issues!” but now my life is better, happier and less stressful.
Keep up the fight, stand up for self if you can and remember there is life outside of Royal Mail
-
Mobey
- Posts: 291
- Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
- Gender: Male
How to talk to managers about mental health
For those experiencing any issues with their mental health or autism, I'll try and send you a private message that can help. As there is places and organisations that can help you.

-
sindba
- Posts: 1455
- Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 20:27
- Gender: Male
How to talk to managers about mental health
First and foremost, get medical advice, and do not worry too much about wout work. Your health is the first priority
I would approach the manager you find easiest to deal with about any concerns you have.
If there is no one you feel comfortable with, then go to your highest manager, probably your DOM. You will probably find they are more understanding than you expect, even if it's just because they have to be careful to follow the correct procedures.
At all times, try to be as clear as possible in your own mind about how your illness is impacting your work, and what help you may need from Royal Mail. Speak to your Union rep if you feel you need to.
You might be pleasantly surprised about the support you receive. Despite everything, there are good people in Royal Mail, even management. From managers to your Union rep, they will listen you and maintain confidentiality.
And if you feel too ill to work fullstop, then DON'T. Get the help you need. This is why there are sickness policies.
Good luck.
I would approach the manager you find easiest to deal with about any concerns you have.
If there is no one you feel comfortable with, then go to your highest manager, probably your DOM. You will probably find they are more understanding than you expect, even if it's just because they have to be careful to follow the correct procedures.
At all times, try to be as clear as possible in your own mind about how your illness is impacting your work, and what help you may need from Royal Mail. Speak to your Union rep if you feel you need to.
You might be pleasantly surprised about the support you receive. Despite everything, there are good people in Royal Mail, even management. From managers to your Union rep, they will listen you and maintain confidentiality.
And if you feel too ill to work fullstop, then DON'T. Get the help you need. This is why there are sickness policies.
Good luck.
-
dodger71
- Posts: 39
- Joined: 05 Sep 2007, 17:36
- Gender: Female
- Location: right here right now
How to talk to managers about mental health
i feel for you ...i have been in this situation 3 oh assist reports tell manager what to to ..he ignores all of them ...trys and shame me in front of all the staff ....threatens me ....several staff complained on his "speech".....only stopped when legal action threatened ..just look after yourself m8 you are number 1
I FEEL LIKE A BITCH FOR AC AND AL
-
BELIAL
- Posts: 6758
- Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
- Gender: Female
- Location: Nowhere
How to talk to managers about mental health
IT really is "the law of the jungle" ;the "wild wild west". LOts of fine protocols and guidelines but all ignored. On a personal level ,where do RM find these people willing to inflict so much pain and harm? It's happened before ,I know , but just where do these 'zero empathy management bots' come from. Lets hope their kids don't face the same situations.
Bye
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
How to talk to managers about mental health
Personally I had bad experiences once I came out with mental health issues with a previous employer. While thankfully I seem to be over the worst of my mental health issues (although still bearing the scars of it), I am certainly wary about telling managers too much!
-
sindba
- Posts: 1455
- Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 20:27
- Gender: Male
How to talk to managers about mental health
Managers are human, like the rest of us.
This isn't about tnose horrible daily battles about lasping and whatnot, it's about health.
Approach the manager you trust most, one to one and in private, be honest, and you will probably get a better response than you expect.
This isn't about tnose horrible daily battles about lasping and whatnot, it's about health.
Approach the manager you trust most, one to one and in private, be honest, and you will probably get a better response than you expect.
-
BELIAL
- Posts: 6758
- Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
- Gender: Female
- Location: Nowhere