ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Dom supports.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
vastus35
Posts: 11
Joined: 21 Nov 2014, 16:47
Gender: Male

Dom supports.

Post by vastus35 »

Is it time for the Dom support to be scrapped ? In our office the D supp. enters the overtime & sucks the Doms ..... you get the idea. Then finishes at 12.30 or 1pm, has every Saturday off & gets extra £35-40 per week. When on annual leave the line manager does the D. supp. as part of his normal duties. Is yours any good or a waste of time ?
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Dom supports.

Post by maisymoo04 »

so hes a work place coach aswell ?? :shock: must be doing a lot of suckin then :no no :no no
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Dom supports.

Post by 97gaz »

[
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.
Xr4
Posts: 107
Joined: 23 Apr 2016, 09:15
Gender: Male

Dom supports.

Post by Xr4 »

Our DOM support is amazing, sorts A/l out, enters all our overtime in correctly and helps prep frames when we're short. Surprised that they don't get paid more
DRM
Posts: 50
Joined: 17 Nov 2017, 21:42
Gender: Female

Dom supports.

Post by DRM »

Xr4 wrote:Our DOM support is amazing, sorts A/l out, enters all our overtime in correctly and helps prep frames when we're short. Surprised that they don't get paid more
Send them my way please!!!!
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Dom supports.

Post by Postie45 »

hmm i doubt you know exactly what the dom support is doing, neither do i, so im not gonna call for someone to be out of a job
scorched
Posts: 44
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 17:40
Gender: Male

Dom supports.

Post by scorched »

If you think it’s such an easy job, maybe volunteer to be their cover? That’s what I did, for the added training and experience, not because I thought it would be a doss. I regret it now because no one else will touch the duty if the regular person is away so I always do it. There is so much to do every day and you are constantly under pressure and it is an utterly thankless job. You don’t get a penny extra for all the extra responsibilities you have. I would rather do any other duty in the office than Dom support! So give it a try, you might like it!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Dom supports.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

vastus35 wrote:Is it time for the Dom support to be scrapped ? In our office the D supp. enters the overtime & sucks the Doms ..... you get the idea. Then finishes at 12.30 or 1pm, has every Saturday off & gets extra £35-40 per week. When on annual leave the line manager does the D. supp. as part of his normal duties. Is yours any good or a waste of time ?
Oh great, another divide and conquer post with homophobic undertones, just what we need. :roll:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Dom supports.

Post by Interested-seeker »

scorched wrote:If you think it’s such an easy job, maybe volunteer to be their cover? That’s what I did, for the added training and experience, not because I thought it would be a doss. I regret it now because no one else will touch the duty if the regular person is away so I always do it. There is so much to do every day and you are constantly under pressure and it is an utterly thankless job. You don’t get a penny extra for all the extra responsibilities you have. I would rather do any other duty in the office than Dom support! So give it a try, you might like it!
:thumbup
BELIAL
Posts: 6758
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere

Dom supports.

Post by BELIAL »

Leave the train and walk this way, stay in line please and display your ID .
Bye
Harv12
Posts: 158
Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 18:25
Gender: Male

Dom supports.

Post by Harv12 »

scorched wrote:If you think it’s such an easy job, maybe volunteer to be their cover? That’s what I did, for the added training and experience, not because I thought it would be a doss. I regret it now because no one else will touch the duty if the regular person is away so I always do it. There is so much to do every day and you are constantly under pressure and it is an utterly thankless job. You don’t get a penny extra for all the extra responsibilities you have. I would rather do any other duty in the office than Dom support! So give it a try, you might like it!

110% agree, i was dom support for over 5 years had to cover hatch and cover the then PHG role, getting sent on delivery when you have a pile of work to get through, always way behind on stuff and the manager not givin a s**t, my job never got covered when on annual leave so had loads of work to catch on while not havin time todo that weeks work to start with. no extra cash, worst duty in the office by far. back then i was the last to leave the office every day finishing 2 / 3pm when every one had finished delivery by 12/1pm, only bonus of doing that job now as iv covered a few times is the earlier finish as they have to start an hour or two before everyone else.tbh the job would be ok if they got left alone to do it, but havin to cover hatch all shift and specails and covering hand backs which in it self is a job on it own, you just havn't the time
Anonymous100
Posts: 19
Joined: 29 May 2017, 18:47
Gender: Male

Dom supports.

Post by Anonymous100 »

I’ve been doing this job for about 8 weeks now along with being responsible for driving up the overall performance of the office. I’m still on Postie money but where there is the earlier start I am making extra every week from starting at 5am which is the only reason why I’m still doing it.
I came into this job initially for a rest I’m not gonna lie!
But I’d rather go back on my delivery now because like many of you have said you don’t get any thanks for all the extra work you are doing and all you get is aggro when something isn’t done right.
For the money I still don’t think it’s worth but in terms of the experience you gain I think it’s fantastic if your looking to work towards being a Dom of an office in the future.

I do all the RCS and everybody’s pay on PSP we are now also moving from manpower plan into PSP now for annual leave which is going to be a laugh trying to explain how that now works to people.
I have done all the work schedules recently because for some reason some of them didn’t match the posties actually working week which was strange.
I have to do D2Ds, signing on sheets, 552s every morning. Update the sick board and put all that in PSP and send the day one letters out. Holiday SA, Allowances.... whilst at the same time keeping track of everyone’s performance with tracked, local collects and specials.

And when people are short I will prep walks and give people a dig out.
So yeah it’s a lot.
Much easier to just double prep or do IPS and then do a walk and get back and on your way home by 1pm. But like I said, not knocking it because it’s great experience, I just think I do a lot of other people’s work.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Dom supports.

Post by Postie45 »

Scrapped ? then how would the work dom support does get done ? fairies ?
Lets scrap posties too, im sure the letters will get delivered still somehow....
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Dom supports.

Post by robbertwhitton »

I have to say from what I see in our office,it’s a bit of a poison chalice,and not sure anything remotely like the job was advertised as that my mate got,it’s pretty much full on to be fair,and then you wind up thinking what does the Dom actually do?i though the delivery support got a leadership allowance payment of £25 a week,which of course is a typical Royal Mail insult,our guy has no day off and does sa on Saturday,but that’s his choice,maybe that could be shared out,but not sure anyone wants it,I would imagine it makes a change from the gutty slog of delivery and as mentioned gives you an insight as to the pressures on staff etc,figures,workload etc,our Dom runs two offices which is far from ideal,as he spends more time at our neighbors than ours,and we’re left to get on with it,and delivery support left to manage,with a great deal of goodwill and much needed office banter that gets the job done,as I have said before management do love to big this job up far more than the need,after 37 years I’m not so daft as to dismiss change within the company in this climate of efficiency and costs etc,with regard to delivery support as with most things in this company it will vary widely from office to office but with the same constraints and same clear office policies that every office has,and it puzzles me the wide differences on how things are done and what they get and how people are treated,have just had two weeks in the Maldives and back to work Monday,oh what joy,can’t wait,have a nice week all.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Dom supports.

Post by Brandy »

Am I right,does DOM support get no extra pay? If not then RM are taking the piss bigtime! :shock: