ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Rounds not possible?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jamiechelt
Posts: 74
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 19:35
Gender: Male

Rounds not possible?

Post by Jamiechelt »

I'm a part timer, only been here for 4 weeks. I come in at 6:30 instead of 7:50 and still manage to use 2 hours of overtime daily. I do need the money, so it's good but ... I prep quite quickly, I bag quite quickly and I literally jog around yet it still isn't done. The guy I work with says he could work with someone more experienced and finish 45 minutes earlier but that still means at least an hour over and having to come in at 6:30. Also never get to take a break, and the bags are super heavy. I think we have the biggest round and I'm a newbie.

If I came in at 7:50 today then it wouldn't have gotten done until 5. I get hammered for parcels, big oversized ones mainly ... feel like parcelforce. So somedays it says finish at 1:40 but it's the same for someone that has 1 parcel or 100. What can I do, I love the overtime but it's getting excessive.

The one time I did cut off, it just rolled over on to the next day which is extra stressful.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Rounds not possible?

Post by Jpro747 »

Sounds like a huge round. My advice is to start on time, slow down to a walking only pace and take your break, use the cut off procedure to finish on time. If you want them to do something about it you’ll need to stick to your guns and do this every day. Then they will have no option but to take some off the round as the mail will just keep piling up.
Jamiechelt
Posts: 74
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 19:35
Gender: Male

Rounds not possible?

Post by Jamiechelt »

Jpro747 wrote:Sounds like a huge round. My advice is to start on time, slow down to a walking only pace and take your break, use the cut off procedure to finish on time. If you want them to do something about it you’ll need to stick to your guns and do this every day. Then they will have no option but to take some off the round as the mail will just keep piling up.
Sounds too good to be true to be honest. They'll never cut any off the round!!! I've got 600 doors I think and lots of them have parcels, and the bags are super heavy
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Rounds not possible?

Post by cpsteve »

Jamiechelt wrote:
Jpro747 wrote:Sounds like a huge round. My advice is to start on time, slow down to a walking only pace and take your break, use the cut off procedure to finish on time. If you want them to do something about it you’ll need to stick to your guns and do this every day. Then they will have no option but to take some off the round as the mail will just keep piling up.
Sounds too good to be true to be honest. They'll never cut any off the round!!! I've got 600 doors I think and lots of them have parcels, and the bags are super heavy
600 is not bad unless you have long pathways and dead walking my walk is 1300 of course thats for two of us, remember to use the equipment to take the load of your back there are weight limits you should not go over. Have you been out with a coach because they should have explained the dos and donts regarding weight as well as the overrun procedure also you can go and see the coach about your work related problems and he/she can give you advise.
TheTrolleyMan
Posts: 776
Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
Gender: Male

Rounds not possible?

Post by TheTrolleyMan »

Jogging with a trolley must be a nightmare
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Rounds not possible?

Post by number one »

Do they pay you from the time you start?
Jamiechelt
Posts: 74
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 19:35
Gender: Male

Rounds not possible?

Post by Jamiechelt »

1200 total doors for our walk.. 600 each. Trolleys will not fit in the van!!! They pay from 7.50 only, but if I went in that late I wouldn't get out til 11.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Rounds not possible?

Post by worktotime »

Jamiechelt wrote:I'm a part timer, only been here for 4 weeks. I come in at 6:30 instead of 7:50 and still manage to use 2 hours of overtime daily. I do need the money, so it's good but ... I prep quite quickly, I bag quite quickly and I literally jog around yet it still isn't done. The guy I work with says he could work with someone more experienced and finish 45 minutes earlier but that still means at least an hour over and having to come in at 6:30. Also never get to take a break, and the bags are super heavy. I think we have the biggest round and I'm a newbie.

If I came in at 7:50 today then it wouldn't have gotten done until 5. I get hammered for parcels, big oversized ones mainly ... feel like parcelforce. So somedays it says finish at 1:40 but it's the same for someone that has 1 parcel or 100. What can I do, I love the overtime but it's getting excessive.

The one time I did cut off, it just rolled over on to the next day which is extra stressful.
don't be put under pressure to work like he does or run round and take short cuts like he does , start early if they pay you , if not start on your time , use lwt and not carry bags , take your break even if he doesn't :thumbup , stick to your guns .
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Rounds not possible?

Post by eastie »

Jamiechelt wrote:
Jpro747 wrote:Sounds like a huge round. My advice is to start on time, slow down to a walking only pace and take your break, use the cut off procedure to finish on time. If you want them to do something about it you’ll need to stick to your guns and do this every day. Then they will have no option but to take some off the round as the mail will just keep piling up.
Sounds too good to be true to be honest. They'll never cut any off the round!!! I've got 600 doors I think and lots of them have parcels, and the bags are super heavy
Why dont you use a LWT ??
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Rounds not possible?

Post by worktotime »

Jamiechelt wrote:1200 total doors for our walk.. 600 each. Trolleys will not fit in the van!!! They pay from 7.50 only, but if I went in that late I wouldn't get out til 11.
we have 1600 btw us , we start on time , use lwt , and have a break , why cant you get the trolleys in the van ? , we tell them no lwts no delivery , simple .
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Rounds not possible?

Post by eastie »

Jamiechelt wrote:1200 total doors for our walk.. 600 each. Trolleys will not fit in the van!!! They pay from 7.50 only, but if I went in that late I wouldn't get out til 11.
So.......... its not your problem just work to your time and bring the rest back
Jamiechelt
Posts: 74
Joined: 16 Feb 2018, 19:35
Gender: Male

Rounds not possible?

Post by Jamiechelt »

The van is absolutely rammed with parcels and letters to the roof it seems. Never seen any of the trolleys either. I do sort of need some overtime just not like almost 2 hours everyday. Plus i'm on probation, I'm guessing it doesnt look good cutting off all the time.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Rounds not possible?

Post by crimson king »

Jamiechelt wrote:The van is absolutely rammed with parcels and letters to the roof it seems. Never seen any of the trolleys either. I do sort of need some overtime just not like almost 2 hours everyday. Plus i'm on probation, I'm guessing it doesnt look good cutting off all the time.
Trolleys are h&s, you should ask your DOM to sort that out. It's not worth hurting yourself. And stop jogging! They're called walks for a reason.

Don't let the probation thing worry you. If you keep going as you are you'll burn out, end up hating the job and not last six months anyway.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Rounds not possible?

Post by Judgee »

You are not doing yourself any favours and not doing any favours for anyone else that has to cover the round when you are not there. Start at your start time, take your break, use the trolley and cut off. If they roll it over cut off more. They won't cut down the round but will probably move you to a round more suitable for your pace until you get up a bit more speed.

Whilst you are working for free and completing every day they have no reason to change anything! :crazy: :arrrghhh
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Rounds not possible?

Post by number one »

You need the overtime but work for 2+hrs a day for free. Words fail me! NEVER work for free!!!