ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Not For Me

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
gumbygirl77
Posts: 4
Joined: 08 Mar 2018, 10:56
Gender: Female

Not For Me

Post by gumbygirl77 »

Hello

Started two weeks ago and have decided this job really is not for me.

So need to hand in notice - how much will they want considering I have only been there two weeks ?

Thanks.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Not For Me

Post by rehabron »

Due to being a new starter your contract will as with all new contracts require 4 weeks notice and because of the backlog of mail due to the recent weather conditions you will more than likely have to serve the full notice period.
The Postman
Posts: 267
Joined: 10 May 2017, 14:41
Gender: Male

Not For Me

Post by The Postman »

gumbygirl77 wrote:Hello

Started two weeks ago and have decided this job really is not for me.

So need to hand in notice - how much will they want considering I have only been there two weeks ?

Thanks.
If it’s about the physical aspect of the job, it does get easier. I would give it atleast a month before making a final decision, most posties will tell you it’s a great job once your up to speed.

One thing you need to learn is to stand up for yourself, ie, dont be afraid to inform your manager in the morning if you can’t complete and bring back any work you can’t do. This is probably the most stressful thing for any new starter.

If it’s for personal reasons then I wish you best of luck in whatever you do.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Not For Me

Post by Creditshampoo »

Give it a few more weeks!!
viking1488
Posts: 446
Joined: 15 May 2009, 15:37
Gender: Male

Not For Me

Post by viking1488 »

The Postman wrote:
gumbygirl77 wrote:Hello

Started two weeks ago and have decided this job really is not for me.

So need to hand in notice - how much will they want considering I have only been there two weeks ?

Thanks.
If it’s about the physical aspect of the job, it does get easier. I would give it atleast a month before making a final decision, most posties will tell you it’s a great job once your up to speed.

One thing you need to learn is to stand up for yourself, ie, dont be afraid to inform your manager in the morning if you can’t complete and bring back any work you can’t do. This is probably the most stressful thing for any new starter.

If it’s for personal reasons then I wish you best of luck in whatever you do.
most posties will tell you it’s a great job once your up to speed errrr what planet are you on lol :chuckle
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Not For Me

Post by k979aaa »

gumbygirl77 wrote:Hello

Started two weeks ago and have decided this job really is not for me.

So need to hand in notice - how much will they want considering I have only been there two weeks ?

Thanks.
If money does not bother you just tell them you have had enough and cannot take anymore and go. Probably nothing will happen except you will not get anymore pay from RM.
gumbygirl77
Posts: 4
Joined: 08 Mar 2018, 10:56
Gender: Female

Not For Me

Post by gumbygirl77 »

Thanks for your replies. Really helpful.

Physically this is killing me ; cannot believe there was not some sort of medical during the interview process

I am a father and have no intention of keeling over just for RM...
Post12345
Posts: 41
Joined: 18 Sep 2017, 18:56
Gender: Female

Not For Me

Post by Post12345 »

If you don't need a reference just tell them you are off :) life's too short xx
30+YEARMAN
Posts: 253
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:46
Gender: Male

Not For Me

Post by 30+YEARMAN »

I think this is going to be a big problem for Royal Mail we had 10 new starters at the end of last year and now there is only 1 left, I think it says something about how they treat people what they expect from them :cuppa .
The Postman
Posts: 267
Joined: 10 May 2017, 14:41
Gender: Male

Not For Me

Post by The Postman »

viking1488 wrote:
The Postman wrote:
gumbygirl77 wrote:Hello

Started two weeks ago and have decided this job really is not for me.

So need to hand in notice - how much will they want considering I have only been there two weeks ?

Thanks.
If it’s about the physical aspect of the job, it does get easier. I would give it atleast a month before making a final decision, most posties will tell you it’s a great job once your up to speed.

One thing you need to learn is to stand up for yourself, ie, dont be afraid to inform your manager in the morning if you can’t complete and bring back any work you can’t do. This is probably the most stressful thing for any new starter.

If it’s for personal reasons then I wish you best of luck in whatever you do.
most posties will tell you it’s a great job once your up to speed errrr what planet are you on lol :chuckle
This isn’t one of them. :Very Happy
the.postman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 19
Joined: 04 Nov 2010, 15:45
Gender: Male

Not For Me

Post by the.postman »

30+YEARMAN wrote:I think this is going to be a big problem for Royal Mail we had 10 new starters at the end of last year and now there is only 1 left, I think it says something about how they treat people what they expect from them :cuppa .
This is nothing new. I started 35 yrs ago... 20 intakes... 5 survived the first month
answer=42
Posts: 64
Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 07:44
Gender: Male

Not For Me

Post by answer=42 »

I tell people to stick it for 6 weeks. Early days are difficult, it's probably more physical than people expect and you probably get messed around more than you thought possible. Both get easier, you'll get 'match fit' quicker than you think right now and the messing about should die off (but that might take a while longer).
Keep your head down, take it day by day, give yourself a chance. Six weeks, all you've have wasted is another month and you might give yourself the chance of a (fairly) decent job for as long as you want.
Don't listen to some of the negative stuff on here, if it's as bad as they make out what are they doing still here and hanging about on this site?
Don't let the b@st@rds grind you down!!!
Xr4
Posts: 107
Joined: 23 Apr 2016, 09:15
Gender: Male

Not For Me

Post by Xr4 »

I started 2 years ago when I was 40, never bothered with exercise, drove to the corner shop etc. It was a big shock to me and it took a while to get used to it, but the pain was worth it in the end.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Not For Me

Post by NewPostieUK »

gumbygirl77 wrote:
I am a father ..
I'm very open minded, but that will take some explaining.
loverman shabba
Posts: 238
Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
Gender: Male

Not For Me

Post by loverman shabba »

'Match fit' meaning your whole body will be aching hurting so it will just feel normal