ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

MRM.COM : Phil never fails to deliver a parcel (3 years!)

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6696
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

MRM.COM : Phil never fails to deliver a parcel (3 years!)

Post by RobertT »

https://www.myroyalmail.com/news/2018/0 ... -no-return" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A legend is building around a postman from the North East who never fails to deliver a parcel.

Phil Hetherington has not brought an item back to his delivery office since November 2014, an incredible three-year run that he hopes to keep going as long as possible.

‘It’s been spread over four different offices, and includes four busy Christmas periods,’ said Phil, proudly. ‘I’ve done shifts in Middlesbrough and Skelton and recently transferred from Hartlepool to Wear Valley, but the run is still going.’

So what is the secret to his success? Perseverance? Advanced technique? Sheer good luck?

‘I plan my strategy in the morning,’ he said. ‘If I have something for a house where they are never in I think, “where am I going to leave this?” I have kept things back until the end of the round, knowing they could be in later in the day.

‘If no-one’s home, I try next door, then the next house, over the road, everywhere until I find someone. I look for tell-tale signs that people are home: cars on the drive, windows open, heat coming from boiler flues.

‘The closest I’ve come to a failure was when I tried 18 doors before I found someone.’

Phil also builds relationships with customers by using a little reverse psychology.

‘Next time you see the person you have left a parcel for you ask, “did you get that alright?” Then you know you’ve got them onside and you can use them in the future.

‘If people try to get out of it, I just explain how it saves them going to queue at the delivery office and also saves the company time and money.

‘Everybody in Hartlepool was aware of what I was doing and they were busting for me to bring one back. Some think I’m mad, going to that many doors, but I want to, and I can.

‘It also encourages the team to match what I’m doing, which is great for the whole office and our customers.’

Wear Valley delivery office manager Lee Sedman says Phil’s reputation preceded him before his move from Hartlepool.

‘On first time delivery he is very, very good,’ said Lee. ‘I gave him a single duty that was one of the worst for bringing Tracked items back and said I wanted it to come out of the top 10, and he’s done it.

‘It’s mainly down to perseverance, but he also takes pride in his work, so he literally goes the extra mile every time.’

Phil is part of We Are Royal Mail, our campaign to profile colleagues in different roles across the business. For more colleague profiles, visit http://www.myroyalmail.com/weareroyalmail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
hans solo
Posts: 3288
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

Phil never fails to deliver a parcel

Post by hans solo »

and how much o-time
tries 18 doors :left: :left: :left:
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Phil never fails to deliver a parcel

Post by SpacePhoenix »

hans solo wrote:and how much o-time
tries 18 doors :left: :left: :left:
I wonder how much non-parcel mail gets cut off by him :hmmmm
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Phil never fails to deliver a parcel

Post by twoloops »

Bet he's the life & soul of his office? :left:
gary1975
Posts: 482
Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 13:41
Gender: Male

Phil never fails to deliver a parcel

Post by gary1975 »

18 doors ? That's got to have taken over 20 mins to get rid of one parcel
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Phil never fails to deliver a parcel

Post by greengiant »

18 doors to get rid of one parcel? He must have plenty of spare time on his rounds to be able to do that...
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4110
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Phil never fails to deliver a parcel

Post by ted_e_bear »

We used to have a postie who never brought anything back, didn't try any neighbours either, just left em on the doorstep.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Phil never fails to deliver a parcel

Post by LaggyBand »

In my area, I’d say close to fifty percent of neighbours don’t actually like this deliver to neighbour policy.

And if it isn’t for next door, that only increases their level of pissed-off-ness the further it is.

It was ok at the start, when it was all new and exciting, everyone pretending to be a happy community.

But now people are annoyed. They don’t want you banging on the door everyday just to make your day and the recipients day easier.
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4110
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Phil never fails to deliver a parcel

Post by ted_e_bear »

Oh yeah I can just hear the Dom now, 'what do you mean you had to bring trackeds back ? Phil can manage it' !
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Phil never fails to deliver a parcel

Post by twoloops »

I knock once, count 123 I'm writing the card out, never ever tried a neighbour, my record is 3 full mail sacks, hopefully you piss off the customer that much having to keep turning up @ the office, they'll stop ordering shite off the internet? Wonder if they'll feature me in that publication?
gunho
Posts: 59
Joined: 08 Jan 2010, 20:15
Gender: Male

Phil never fails to deliver a parcel

Post by gunho »

What thanks does he get for staying out all day, what a plonker
redheadedwoman
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 132
Joined: 17 Aug 2011, 14:58
Gender: Female

Phil never fails to deliver a parcel

Post by redheadedwoman »

mattycash wrote:I knock once, count 123 I'm writing the card out, never ever tried a neighbour, my record is 3 full mail sacks, hopefully you piss off the customer that much having to keep turning up @ the office, they'll stop ordering shite off the internet? Wonder if they'll feature me in that publication?
That shite is keeping you, me and everybody else in the firm in a job :shock:
GT85
Posts: 365
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
Gender: Male
Location: ASDO

Phil never fails to deliver a parcel

Post by GT85 »

I wish I had that much spare time in my day.
We're all here because we're not all there
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

Phil never fails to deliver a parcel

Post by tommyrep »

ted_e_bear wrote:Oh yeah I can just hear the Dom now, 'what do you mean you had to bring trackeds back ? Phil can manage it' !
Exactly!
nickinoneck
Posts: 110
Joined: 20 Aug 2010, 15:37
Gender: Male

Phil never fails to deliver a parcel

Post by nickinoneck »

‘If no-one’s home, I try next door, then the next house, over the road, everywhere until I find someone. I look for tell-tale signs that people are home: cars on the drive, windows open, heat coming from boiler flues.



Sounds more like Inspector Clouseau.