ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Covering other offices

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
PackageForYou
Posts: 21
Joined: 11 Feb 2018, 21:07
Gender: Male

Covering other offices

Post by PackageForYou »

Hi all,
I'm being asked to drive to another office and cover there. What are the rules around this? Do I have to accept or can I refuse? Also am I only due mileage or am I paid for travel time too?
I've just done one day in another office and ran into the same trouble of working through meal-breaks because I didn't want to let my loop partner down, he wanted to work through and get finished rather than cut off.
Regards,
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Covering other offices

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

See my answers in this thread - they are still current https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... by#p795466" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check your insurance you are probably not covered driving to another office as the Insurance usually says "Normal/Permanent Place of work"
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Covering other offices

Post by terry2972 »

It’s easy to ensure you are insured and i don’t mind being sent anywhere its 45p a mile and depending on how i feel will either set of at my start time from my office or will start earlier and claim traveling time. Likewise on the way back either finish early or claim overtime
PackageForYou
Posts: 21
Joined: 11 Feb 2018, 21:07
Gender: Male

Covering other offices

Post by PackageForYou »

Thanks for the response TrueBlue and Terry.

So would I be within my rights to essentially turn up at my local delivery office for my start time and begin my journey to the covering office at the usual start time, rather than absorbing that travel time from my personal time?
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Covering other offices

Post by terry2972 »

That’s correct
PackageForYou
Posts: 21
Joined: 11 Feb 2018, 21:07
Gender: Male

Covering other offices

Post by PackageForYou »

Thank you very much Terry. :dance It's amazing how much we get milked out of us; it's a constant battle to get paid properly and work to PT hours! :Boo hoo!
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Covering other offices

Post by terry2972 »

That’s very true I also keep a record of overtime worked as sometimes it’s short lol its never overpaid
PackageForYou
Posts: 21
Joined: 11 Feb 2018, 21:07
Gender: Male

Covering other offices

Post by PackageForYou »

Thanks a lot for your help.

This makes it much easier to accept travelling so far. The other office were great, and weren't trying to force me into working through breaks or anything of the like - much better.
South_London_Postie
Posts: 306
Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
Gender: Male

Covering other offices

Post by South_London_Postie »

Remember you are to be back at your own office for your finish time aswell. If that means making your way back from the covering office an hour before you finish so be it.

The Delivery Office Manager used to have to drive me personally to and from offices, he never asks me to cover any more.
PackageForYou
Posts: 21
Joined: 11 Feb 2018, 21:07
Gender: Male

Covering other offices

Post by PackageForYou »

Really appreciate the replies everyone.

My manager didn't tell me any of this.
payetwhu
Posts: 54
Joined: 31 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Covering other offices

Post by payetwhu »

Tell them you need a van to get to the other office aswell
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Covering other offices

Post by eastie »

They were asking for people to do docket at Bromley office and ours is 40 miles away
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Covering other offices

Post by terry2972 »

That would be £36 mileage and at least 2hrs travelling to they must be desperate
PackageForYou
Posts: 21
Joined: 11 Feb 2018, 21:07
Gender: Male

Covering other offices

Post by PackageForYou »

There were covering days I did last week where I had to start travelling from where I live near the usual location and only started getting paid once I reached the cover location. Would I be in my rights to claim that OT now? How far back can we take OT?

It also transpires my colleague from the regular office who works through his breaks is taking it as OT this whole time so I've just been losing money. Could I claim OT on all the missed breaks?!