ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Shoes

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
honda333
Posts: 10
Joined: 06 Dec 2017, 06:39
Gender: Female

Shoes

Post by honda333 »

Which shoes to choose???
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Shoes

Post by Interested-seeker »

I'm not sure. But don't choose Magnums. They are absolutely awful.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Shoes

Post by crimson king »

Interested-seeker wrote:I'm not sure. But don't choose Magnums. They are absolutely awful.
I second that about the Magnums...tread went on mine after two, three months. Definitely not up too delivery demands imo.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Shoes

Post by Celgar »

I wear the Magnum boots. I have tried the other types such as Doc Martin etc but they tend to bite and cut into the back of my ankle. I find the Magnums are the most comfortable out of the range but they don't last that long. They get a lot of use though in this job. The first thing to go on them is usually the uppers splitting away from the soles/base rather than the tread wearing away.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Chimps_tea_party
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 154
Joined: 17 Sep 2010, 22:33
Gender: Male

Shoes

Post by Chimps_tea_party »

They seem to be a tighter fit nowadays.
Retired ex- Royal Mail.
cardboard13
Posts: 14
Joined: 22 Feb 2011, 19:38
Gender: Male

Shoes

Post by cardboard13 »

recently got some easyflex, found them very light and comfortable.
Decky Boy
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
Gender: Male

Shoes

Post by Decky Boy »

Wore magnum boots for 5 years (good if your duty has lots of climbing ie stairs) Moved onto trainers which after initial doubts I like :Very Happy Using Anvils at the moment. They're good but need replacing every 4 months as my duty (and walk to and from work) is typically 12 to 16 miles :sad: You'll find what works best for you through trial and error. Good Luck.
gunho
Posts: 59
Joined: 08 Jan 2010, 20:15
Gender: Male

Shoes

Post by gunho »

Nikes, Adidas or Under Armour throw RM s**t in the bin where they belong
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Shoes

Post by rubberbond »

Chimps_tea_party wrote:They seem to be a tighter fit nowadays.
I'm glad you mentioned that ,as I've just had 2 pairs on the go in recent times, they damned near crippled me! , with blisters on my heels and on the top of my foot, they were agonisingly bad and I'm sure they never used to be that way. Steer well clear.
Mr Rush
Posts: 3345
Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
Gender: Male

Shoes

Post by Mr Rush »

Celgar wrote:I wear the Magnum boots. [...] but they don't last that long.
I went from Magnums to Doc Martens a few years ago thinking they'd last longer. Nope. They'll last maybe five months at best if you have a bunch of weeks off in that period. Five months is, of course, nowhere near how long RM/Dimensions think a pair should last. They keep making duties longer but don't increase the footwear allowance.
The machine stops.
Xr4
Posts: 107
Joined: 23 Apr 2016, 09:15
Gender: Male

Shoes

Post by Xr4 »

I find cats really comfy, don't last that long before I wear the heel out. Tried a pair of docs but they hurt till I wore them in, which was the same time as I wore them out lol
Chimps_tea_party
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 154
Joined: 17 Sep 2010, 22:33
Gender: Male

Shoes

Post by Chimps_tea_party »

rubberbond wrote:
Chimps_tea_party wrote:They seem to be a tighter fit nowadays.
I'm glad you mentioned that ,as I've just had 2 pairs on the go in recent times, they damned near crippled me! , with blisters on my heels and on the top of my foot, they were agonisingly bad and I'm sure they never used to be that way. Steer well clear.
I ordered two pairs and they both had less room around the toes compared to my old Magnums.
Retired ex- Royal Mail.
kevbo
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 134
Joined: 07 May 2010, 16:33
Gender: Male

Shoes

Post by kevbo »

New magnum banderas are best of a bad bunch. Usually buy my own but only get £30 per pair. This has been the case for last 5 years at least. Haven’t they heard of inflation?
wallop
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 251
Joined: 02 Feb 2011, 07:34
Gender: Male

Shoes

Post by wallop »

I like the banderas but they come up small i take a 10 1/2 really but the size 11 fits me fine.
The DM's are awful not suitable for walking duties at all they have a sort of plastic coating and just split after a few months.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Shoes

Post by NewPostieUK »

The new Magnum Banderas with the Michelin soles are excellent. Easily the best shoes I've had in 10 year.

Comfortable. good fit and best of all, not slippy in the wet.

They wear out in 8-10 weeks, but so do all the shoes / boots.

The problem is, they are a trial, and only available under normal allocation terms. So If you haven't had any new footwear in the last 2 year
you can have some. That rules out most people. (this is stated on the DUOS website)