ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Unpaid leave august
-
Costas6969
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 08 Dec 2017, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Unpaid leave august
Hi, I have only been a postie for a few months and I would like opinions please as to whether I would be able to take off the whole of August unpaid. I have had ten days in August honoured due to it being booked prior to me starting work at Royal Mail but circumstances have changed and I might need to take the whole month off and I have no problems taking it off unpaid.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Unpaid leave august
You are allowed to ask, but Roya Mail is allowed to refuse.Costas6969 wrote:Hi, I have only been a postie for a few months and I would like opinions please as to whether I would be able to take off the whole of August unpaid. I have had ten days in August honoured due to it being booked prior to me starting work at Royal Mail but circumstances have changed and I might need to take the whole month off and I have no problems taking it off unpaid.
Depending on the circumstances there may be other options available such as Parental Leave, if you are with the Union now would be a good time to get the rep onside as he will know the local lie of the land and may be able to sort something out. Without the CWU helping I think the chances of the whole of August off is pretty remote.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Post12345
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 18 Sep 2017, 18:56
- Gender: Female
Unpaid leave august
Parental leave (four weeks unpaid a year per child) only starts when you have been employed for a year. They pretty much can't say no to that and others annual leave doesnt come in to account.
You'll have to put an other leave request form in as a newbie. At least 21 days prior.
Get a rep. If they say no they have to pull you in and show you exactly why you can't have it each day.dont go in alone.
Good luck
You'll have to put an other leave request form in as a newbie. At least 21 days prior.
Get a rep. If they say no they have to pull you in and show you exactly why you can't have it each day.dont go in alone.
Good luck
-
postmail3
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 28 Jan 2018, 19:33
- Gender: Female
Unpaid leave august
I've just started today after having an interview last November and holidays I had booked for weddings I was under the impression that they would be allowed but my manager today gave me a stern look and said 'some dates' weren't acceptable.
I have a week booked may 21st / July 16th & August 13th.... And 2days in June! Is there any I should worry about? I'm guessing August is a no go area??
I have a week booked may 21st / July 16th & August 13th.... And 2days in June! Is there any I should worry about? I'm guessing August is a no go area??
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
Unpaid leave august
If you had informed them of your booked holiday dates during interview then they should accept them, if you didnt then it’s completely at their discretion.postmail3 wrote:I've just started today after having an interview last November and holidays I had booked for weddings I was under the impression that they would be allowed but my manager today gave me a stern look and said 'some dates' weren't acceptable.
I have a week booked may 21st / July 16th & August 13th.... And 2days in June! Is there any I should worry about? I'm guessing August is a no go area??
-
postmail3
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 28 Jan 2018, 19:33
- Gender: Female
Unpaid leave august
I had but he brushed me off and said it would be 'sorted'. I didn't end up getting that contract though but succeeded 3 months later. I hadn't even met my manager until today as it was the trainer who interviewed me. I feel side swiped and don't know how to react if he tells me I can't have them. I don't wanna seem awkward on my first few shifts!!! Dilemma!
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32798
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Unpaid leave august
You need to explain everything to your mew manager and go from there, speak to your rep and coach as soon as as well,you may have to swallow not getting all though.postmail3 wrote:I had but he brushed me off and said it would be 'sorted'. I didn't end up getting that contract though but succeeded 3 months later. I hadn't even met my manager until today as it was the trainer who interviewed me. I feel side swiped and don't know how to react if he tells me I can't have them. I don't wanna seem awkward on my first few shifts!!! Dilemma!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
Costas6969
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 08 Dec 2017, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Unpaid leave august
If you have holidays booked then don’t let anyone stop you going, life is way too short.
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Unpaid leave august
It might be hard but, trust me, if you put your foot down now and don't cave in from the get go it's going to make your work life easier in the future.
If you've informed them of those dates they should honour them. Let them get away with this and they'll take the piss forever.
If you've informed them of those dates they should honour them. Let them get away with this and they'll take the piss forever.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
postmail3
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 28 Jan 2018, 19:33
- Gender: Female
Unpaid leave august
Thanks, Im going to have to!! They are weddings of my sisters so not missing them, I'm just worried on the worst case scenario as on my probation!! I was never told I couldn't book certain dates and I let them know as soon as they asked as they weren't bothered about writing them down in the interview!! I'm just going to hope for the best!
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Unpaid leave august
Seems to be a Royal Mail thing, not writing stuff down at the interview and saying 'yeah, that'll be fine.' Similar thing happened to me. They come across as all affable and then again in at the induction and then, once they've got your soul....
Like someone said above, life's too short, go and enjoy your sisters' wedding and don't let RM taint it.
As for your probation, I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you're doing everything else properly. Probation periods are something else they seem to like to hang over newbies' heads, but if you put your foot down now I doubt your DOM is going to use it six months down the line...it's more hassle to advertise, interview new staff etc just to replace someone who had the audacity to have a few Saturdays off.
Good luck, stay strong.
Like someone said above, life's too short, go and enjoy your sisters' wedding and don't let RM taint it.
As for your probation, I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you're doing everything else properly. Probation periods are something else they seem to like to hang over newbies' heads, but if you put your foot down now I doubt your DOM is going to use it six months down the line...it's more hassle to advertise, interview new staff etc just to replace someone who had the audacity to have a few Saturdays off.
Good luck, stay strong.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.