ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

scrape in RM work van - Can I Drive ??

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
MissKazzyB
Posts: 80
Joined: 22 Mar 2017, 21:50
Gender: Female

scrape in RM work van - Can I Drive ??

Post by MissKazzyB »

Hi there

Was wondering if someone could help me out here....

I was out doing a duty in one of the RM big vans & I scrapped it along side a parked vechicle :-((
I’ve done the change over in a small transit van but not the big ones so Ive now been told different things....

I’m allowed to drive a small transit but not the big vans until I do another change over in the big size.

I’m not allowed to drive at all until I do another change over

I’m ok to continue to drive the small transit van as it’s only when you have 2 traffics accidents in the space of 6 months that I’ll need to do another change over

Can anyone give me the correct info please, thanks x
Last edited by MissKazzyB on 26 Feb 2018, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Minor scrape in RM work van

Post by k979aaa »

MissKazzyB wrote:Hi there

Was wondering if someone could help me out here....

I was out doing a duty in one of the RM big vans & I scrapped it along side a parked vechicle :-((
I’ve done the change over in a small transit van but not the big ones so Ive now been told different things....

I’m allowed to drive a small transit but not the big vans until I do another change over in the big size.

I’m not allowed to drive at all until I do another change over

I’m ok to continue to drive the small transit van as it’s only when you have 2 traffics accidents in the space of 6 months that I’ll need to do another change over

Can anyone give me the correct info please, thanks x
Probably have a risk assessment test sat in front of a computer takes about half an hour to do but if you do it again they could take you off driving for a period!
deltaforce
Posts: 778
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
Gender: Male

Minor scrape in RM work van

Post by deltaforce »

When I had a minor shunt they sent me on a defensive driving course for half a day. Basically a extra long driving lesson.
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

Minor scrape in RM work van

Post by nickbsmooth »

What's a change over?
MissKazzyB
Posts: 80
Joined: 22 Mar 2017, 21:50
Gender: Female

Minor scrape in RM work van

Post by MissKazzyB »

nickbsmooth wrote:What's a change over?
It’s a driving assessment to see if your high medium low risk driver - Basically to see if your safe to drive & deliver
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Minor scrape in RM work van

Post by rehabron »

MissKazzyB wrote:Hi there

Was wondering if someone could help me out here....

I was out doing a duty in one of the RM big vans & I scrapped it along side a parked vechicle :-((
I’ve done the change over in a small transit van but not the big ones so Ive now been told different things....

I’m allowed to drive a small transit but not the big vans until I do another change over in the big size.

I’m not allowed to drive at all until I do another change over

I’m ok to continue to drive the small transit van as it’s only when you have 2 traffics accidents in the space of 6 months that I’ll need to do another change over

Can anyone give me the correct info please, thanks x
Firstly if you have been asessed to drive a RM vehicle to transit level then you should not have been alocated a larger vehicle for exampe a " High Top" and therefore the blame lies with management.
If this is your first recorded blameworthy and is a minor bump you should be able to drive vehicles which you have been assessed in unless you have a secondary recorded accident where you will be removed fron driving and will have to undergo a driving assessment with RM contractors Pertemps.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Minor scrape in RM work van

Post by rehabron »

rehabron wrote:
MissKazzyB wrote:Hi there

Was wondering if someone could help me out here....

I was out doing a duty in one of the RM big vans & I scrapped it along side a parked vechicle :-((
I’ve done the change over in a small transit van but not the big ones so Ive now been told different things....

I’m allowed to drive a small transit but not the big vans until I do another change over in the big size.

I’m not allowed to drive at all until I do another change over

I’m ok to continue to drive the small transit van as it’s only when you have 2 traffics accidents in the space of 6 months that I’ll need to do another change over

Can anyone give me the correct info please, thanks x
Firstly if you have been asessed to drive a RM vehicle to transit level then you should not have been alocated a larger vehicle for exampe a " High Top" and therefore the blame lies with management.
If this is your first recorded blameworthy and is a minor bump you should be able to drive vehicles which you have been assessed in unless you have a secondary recorded accident where you will be removed fron driving and will have to undergo a driving assessment with RM contractors Pertemps.
Oh you did inform the person who gave you the keys for the larger vehicle that you had not been assessed to drive this vehicle?
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

scrape in RM work van - Can I Drive ??

Post by joewyan »

MissKazzyB wrote:Hi there

Was wondering if someone could help me out here....

I was out doing a duty in one of the RM big vans & I scrapped it along side a parked vechicle :-((
I’ve done the change over in a small transit van but not the big ones so Ive now been told different things....

I’m allowed to drive a small transit but not the big vans until I do another change over in the big size.

I’m not allowed to drive at all until I do another change over

I’m ok to continue to drive the small transit van as it’s only when you have 2 traffics accidents in the space of 6 months that I’ll need to do another change over

Can anyone give me the correct info please, thanks x
I had a minor accident and was taken off driving until I had taken a 4 hour driving course about a week or so later.
If you only had your change over in a small van then you shouldn’t be driving a bigger one. I’m not sure if that would sit in your favour or against you though.
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

scrape in RM work van - Can I Drive ??

Post by maisymoo04 »

what do you mean a big van 7.5 ton ??? :hmmmm :hmmmm
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

scrape in RM work van - Can I Drive ??

Post by rehabron »

maisymoo04 wrote:what do you mean a big van 7.5 ton ??? :hmmmm :hmmmm
Miss Kassy B would not have held her driving licence long enough and in order to drive a 7.5T vehicle would have to sit a Class 3 driving test.
I am assuming when Miss Kassy b mentions a larger vehicle above transit size would be possibly a " high top" or mercedes sprinter LWB
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

scrape in RM work van - Can I Drive ??

Post by rehabron »

rehabron wrote:
maisymoo04 wrote:what do you mean a big van 7.5 ton ??? :hmmmm :hmmmm
Miss Kassy B would not have held her driving licence long enough and in order to drive a 7.5T vehicle would have to sit a Class 3 driving test.
I am assuming when Miss Kassy b mentions a larger vehicle above transit size would be possibly a " high top" or mercedes sprinter LWB
If Miss Kassy B has in fact driven a Mercedes Sprinter and is plated at 2000 KG then she has an additional driving allowance to claim for.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

scrape in RM work van - Can I Drive ??

Post by NewPostieUK »

rehabron wrote:
maisymoo04 wrote:what do you mean a big van 7.5 ton ??? :hmmmm :hmmmm
Miss Kassy B would not have held her driving licence long enough and in order to drive a 7.5T vehicle would have to sit a Class 3 driving test.
I am assuming when Miss Kassy b mentions a larger vehicle above transit size would be possibly a " high top" or mercedes sprinter LWB
OR by 'Transit' she means Transit connect, and by bigger van she means Transit.
Jamie162
Posts: 81
Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 20:18
Gender: Male

scrape in RM work van - Can I Drive ??

Post by Jamie162 »

U don’t get an allowance for driving a 400 anymore only on 7.5 tonne and above
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

scrape in RM work van - Can I Drive ??

Post by rehabron »

Jamie162 wrote:U don’t get an allowance for driving a 400 anymore only on 7.5 tonne and above
You get an additional driving allowance of approx. £ 30.00 for driving a mercedes sprinter that is plated at 2000 kg.
Check it out and get back to me.
Jamie162
Posts: 81
Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 20:18
Gender: Male

scrape in RM work van - Can I Drive ??

Post by Jamie162 »

THought most of them are scrapped now in favour of Peugeot boxers so they don’t have to pay the allowance