ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Hours

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
DRM
Posts: 50
Joined: 17 Nov 2017, 21:42
Gender: Female

Hours

Post by DRM »

Afternoon all.
After some advice....I'm on 27 hours contract.
Each morning I go in but don't get out straight away. The full timer is generally still tying up. This could be up to an hour. So in turn we get out late and are back late, generally the last ones back.
But if I'm with someone else on the same round we are out on time and back on time or earlier. I believe on occasions they've been given help but not always. I've told DOM I want to leave on time as this is achievable. Their response was "at your interview you said you were flexible".
How do you respond to that? What should my next step be?
Thanks.
danterossetti
Posts: 136
Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
Gender: Male

Hours

Post by danterossetti »

Cut off.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Hours

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

DRM wrote:Afternoon all.
After some advice....I'm on 27 hours contract.
Each morning I go in but don't get out straight away. The full timer is generally still tying up. This could be up to an hour. So in turn we get out late and are back late, generally the last ones back.
But if I'm with someone else on the same round we are out on time and back on time or earlier. I believe on occasions they've been given help but not always. I've told DOM I want to leave on time as this is achievable. Their response was "at your interview you said you were flexible".
How do you respond to that? What should my next step be?
Thanks.
The first thing to do is to find out why the regular guy is running later than the others do when they are on it.

1. Is he older than the others and therefore naturally slower?
2. Does he come in one time?
3. Does he take a break?
4. Does he do all the extra tasks required of him by the manager?

If any of the questions above are answered with a "yes", then you are asking the wrong question.

In direct response to "I want to leave on time as its achievable", I would ask, is it?

Ask the same questions above of anyone covering for him and if the answers are "No", then your assumption of an achievable task has a flawed premise.

However, to answer the question, flexibility is based on the hours you are willing to work, where you will be working, and the tasks within those hours. This includes the time you leave the office. So I guess it was a fair question. However, you can be flexible only to a degree, and overtime is voluntary, so if you don't want to work over, don't. Use the "Overrunning Procedure" and let managers decide rather than burdening a colleague with extra pressure, apparently not of their own causing.

Now if the guy is just lazy and slow, then the overrunning procedure should still be used. Tackling slow, inept or lazy colleagues is a managerial task, not one that should concern OPGs.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Hours

Post by Creditshampoo »

Tell your manager to manage properly
Smir
Posts: 124
Joined: 31 Aug 2016, 16:48
Gender: Male

Hours

Post by Smir »

manage your frame. People should not be turning up at 8:30 and still having to prep, last thing you should be doing is tying up.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Hours

Post by joewyan »

Smir wrote:manage your frame. People should not be turning up at 8:30 and still having to prep, last thing you should be doing is tying up.
Sorry, can I ask what you mean by manage your frame?
DRM
Posts: 50
Joined: 17 Nov 2017, 21:42
Gender: Female

Hours

Post by DRM »

Creditshampoo wrote:Tell your manager to manage properly
This is what I feel should be happening. The manager should be stepping up to do their job and manage.
Whenever I've mentioned the issue the DOM has given the OP help but this last a couple of days, then it reverts back to no help.
DRM
Posts: 50
Joined: 17 Nov 2017, 21:42
Gender: Female

Hours

Post by DRM »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
DRM wrote:Afternoon all.
After some advice....I'm on 27 hours contract.
Each morning I go in but don't get out straight away. The full timer is generally still tying up. This could be up to an hour. So in turn we get out late and are back late, generally the last ones back.
But if I'm with someone else on the same round we are out on time and back on time or earlier. I believe on occasions they've been given help but not always. I've told DOM I want to leave on time as this is achievable. Their response was "at your interview you said you were flexible".
How do you respond to that? What should my next step be?
Thanks.
The first thing to do is to find out why the regular guy is running later than the others do when they are on it.

1. Is he older than the others and therefore naturally slower?
2. Does he come in one time?
3. Does he take a break?
4. Does he do all the extra tasks required of him by the manager?

If any of the questions above are answered with a "yes", then you are asking the wrong question.

In direct response to "I want to leave on time as its achievable", I would ask, is it?

Ask the same questions above of anyone covering for him and if the answers are "No", then your assumption of an achievable task has a flawed premise.

However, to answer the question, flexibility is based on the hours you are willing to work, where you will be working, and the tasks within those hours. This includes the time you leave the office. So I guess it was a fair question. However, you can be flexible only to a degree, and overtime is voluntary, so if you don't want to work over, don't. Use the "Overrunning Procedure" and let managers decide rather than burdening a colleague with extra pressure, apparently not of their own causing.

Now if the guy is just lazy and slow, then the overrunning procedure should still be used. Tackling slow, inept or lazy colleagues is a managerial task, not one that should concern OPGs.
Thank you TBT. This guy is just slow! Why, I'm not sure and everyone else has no idea to. Maybe just naturally slow in the mornings??
Each day I go in and see he is still tying up, look at the amount we have and decide whether I need to raise it with the DOM. Most days I'm needing to say I will need to be collected.
I feel I'm the only one in the office saying I need to cut off, so reflecting bad on me. But we often walk back in late and it's like a ghost town!
Question is.....Why should I have to do overtime when it's not down to me or the work load?
salomon2
Posts: 103
Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
Gender: Female

Hours

Post by salomon2 »

Would it bother you starting later? Suits some people, otherwise I would ask on a neighbouring frame what time he starts and perhaps part of someone’s duty is to put the mech in on yours it’s a double prep for your partner.
DRM
Posts: 50
Joined: 17 Nov 2017, 21:42
Gender: Female

Hours

Post by DRM »

salomon2 wrote:Would it bother you starting later? Suits some people, otherwise I would ask on a neighbouring frame what time he starts and perhaps part of someone’s duty is to put the mech in on yours it’s a double prep for your partner.
Unfortunately starting later wouldn't work for me, but I see your reasoning.
I will do some digging of what he has to do in the morning.
I just find it odd why others get help and we get out on time, yet he doesn't get any help?
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Hours

Post by crimson king »

I see you've talked to the DOM, but have you talked to the full timer in question? Just thinking maybe there's something going on in his life that might be contributing to the slowness? Not that that is necessarily your problem, obviously, but maybe a fellow human reaching out to him...

Obviously I don't know what he's like and for all I know he's just a right cantankerous old git and it's obvious that talking to him would gain nothing, but I just had my hippy head on for a moment...
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
DRM
Posts: 50
Joined: 17 Nov 2017, 21:42
Gender: Female

Hours

Post by DRM »

crimson king wrote:I see you've talked to the DOM, but have you talked to the full timer in question? Just thinking maybe there's something going on in his life that might be contributing to the slowness? Not that that is necessarily your problem, obviously, but maybe a fellow human reaching out to him...

Obviously I don't know what he's like and for all I know he's just a right cantankerous old git and it's obvious that talking to him would gain nothing, but I just had my hippy head on for a moment...
Ha ha. I wouldn't say hes a cantankerous old git. But has always been slow.
Is it possible he's playing the system and found a way of getting overtime?
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Hours

Post by Brandy »

Creditshampoo wrote:Tell your manager to manage properly
Do they know how to? :d'oh!
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Hours

Post by k979aaa »

Management is an art the problem is we have to many pissacutoos and not enough sober talented managers who come though the ranks as it were!
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Hours

Post by korky »

some people are naturally slower than others but we all have standards to hit, some do take the pi$$ though, i was once given 3 duties to prep when the guy next only had 2, all similar in size, when i asked why, my manager said i'm quicker than him, i just said oh, ok, i'll slow down to his speed then, he just walked away saying nothing more to either of us, even the slower guy was laughing with me when another posty came to prep the 5th duty!
some managers are too weak to call in the old school posties.

my advice to the op, the management will probably continue to bury their heads in the sand, so on monday, make them aware that you absolutely must be finished on time on say tues and fri for important reasons, you don't need to explain why, but are flexible the other days, this is not the correct fix but may see a change and he cannot accuse you of not being flexible, which is also a load of bo!!0x and gives them more scope to bully people into overtime.
depending on how he takes criticism, next time he does quote "flexible" from your contract, you could ask him if it says "manager" in his :left: