ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Stammerking
Posts: 208
Joined: 09 Dec 2007, 20:58

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by Stammerking »

Due 6 weeks holiday and have managed to get 3 weeks in school holidays I still have 2 weeks to pick but there are no slots left. In a position to take unpaid leave but will need to be in school holidays were do I stand ? My wife will book alternate weeks but will still leave us with several weeks not covered
Destiny
Posts: 200
Joined: 29 Dec 2010, 10:18
Gender: Male
Location: North

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by Destiny »

Parental leave. Upto 18 weeks each child upto 18th birthday. No more than 4 weeks in 1 year.
Think it's 21 days notice in writing.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by joewyan »

Stammerking wrote:Due 6 weeks holiday and have managed to get 3 weeks in school holidays I still have 2 weeks to pick but there are no slots left. In a position to take unpaid leave but will need to be in school holidays were do I stand ? My wife will book alternate weeks but will still leave us with several weeks not covered
Sorry to say I’m not sure where you stand with this but to expect all of your weeks holiday in the school holidays is not realist with RM. People without children also like some of these times of year too so there will never be enough slots, I think you did well to get three weeks.
Stammerking
Posts: 208
Joined: 09 Dec 2007, 20:58

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by Stammerking »

The most annoying thing is people get other posties who have not got school age children to pick weeks in the school holidays and swop them at a later date so they get all their holidays they want obviously damaging the chances of getting a decent amount of weeks :thumb down .DOM knows about it but turns a blind eye !
scoobymunster
Posts: 346
Joined: 30 Mar 2011, 00:39
Gender: Male

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by scoobymunster »

Stammerking wrote:The most annoying thing is people get other posties who have not got school age children to pick weeks in the school holidays and swop them at a later date so they get all their holidays they want obviously damaging the chances of getting a decent amount of weeks :thumb down .DOM knows about it but turns a blind eye !
To be fair, regardless of whether someone has kids or not, most people want a summer holiday. How many people do you know want to work the entire time we may get some sunshine? You've done well getting the 3 weeks.
Costas6969
Posts: 25
Joined: 08 Dec 2017, 11:19
Gender: Male

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by Costas6969 »

Is it not possible to take unpaid leave?
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by Celgar »

Yes but there still has to be an available week/s on the holiday list to be able to book it. Or if it is in the period that RM calls the summer then additional week slots can be opened then that work can be done unpaid/absorbed by the remaining posties.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by CPTNemoUK »

What makes things worse. The union rep in my office is on leave this week (half term). But is working it also. So he has used a school holiday week up, possibly stopping another member of staff having time off with there kids. :arrrghhh
yellowbelly
Posts: 3727
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by yellowbelly »

CPTNemoUK wrote:What makes things worse. The union rep in my office is on leave this week (half term). But is working it also. So he has used a school holiday week up, possibly stopping another member of staff having time off with there kids. :arrrghhh
How the hell is this happening? On leave but working at the same time?
jd9442
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by jd9442 »

People on holiday come in and do overtime in my office too lol
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by Celgar »

CPTNemoUK wrote:What makes things worse. The union rep in my office is on leave this week (half term). But is working it also. So he has used a school holiday week up, possibly stopping another member of staff having time off with there kids. :arrrghhh
It's not allowed in RM to come in and work on an annual leave week off. Well you can but as you aren't there as far as the system is concerned you can't be paid. You can have the time in lieu though.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by korky »

yellowbelly wrote:
CPTNemoUK wrote:What makes things worse. The union rep in my office is on leave this week (half term). But is working it also. So he has used a school holiday week up, possibly stopping another member of staff having time off with there kids. :arrrghhh
How the hell is this happening? On leave but working at the same time?
this practice stinks and a rep should know better and he needs reporting to cwu, though it will be said his leave was changed to a later date and not on holiday
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Celgar wrote:
CPTNemoUK wrote:What makes things worse. The union rep in my office is on leave this week (half term). But is working it also. So he has used a school holiday week up, possibly stopping another member of staff having time off with there kids. :arrrghhh
It's not allowed in RM to come in and work on an annual leave week off. Well you can but as you aren't there as far as the system is concerned you can't be paid. You can have the time in lieu though.
It might be their wally week
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by CPTNemoUK »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Celgar wrote:
CPTNemoUK wrote:What makes things worse. The union rep in my office is on leave this week (half term). But is working it also. So he has used a school holiday week up, possibly stopping another member of staff having time off with there kids. :arrrghhh
It's not allowed in RM to come in and work on an annual leave week off. Well you can but as you aren't there as far as the system is concerned you can't be paid. You can have the time in lieu though.
It might be their wally week
Don't have a wally week at my office. Even though there is a few wallys working there :chuckle. Found out a bit more info and he said he's working a few days because he needs the days off later in the year, Which is fair enough. Still uses the week up that somebody else could of used.
GRS
Posts: 826
Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 18:38
Gender: Female
Location: South West

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by GRS »

IF someone comes in and works when on A/L they can’t be paid. If they are cancelling the leave to take at another time then that week they have vacated should be put up on the board for someone else to pick.