ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Feedback Please!
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Feedback Please!
Looking for any and all feedback from people using HCTs.
Do you like using one? If not, why not?
Do you find it causes any problems to you physically?
Do you often get your whole round into the trolley?
Do you put many parcels out for a driver so that you can fit the rest in?
Do you hate being outside for a solid five hours without the shelter of a van?
Is there any advice you can give to someone about to commit to such a duty?
Thanks for any and all responses!
Do you like using one? If not, why not?
Do you find it causes any problems to you physically?
Do you often get your whole round into the trolley?
Do you put many parcels out for a driver so that you can fit the rest in?
Do you hate being outside for a solid five hours without the shelter of a van?
Is there any advice you can give to someone about to commit to such a duty?
Thanks for any and all responses!
-
scoobymunster
- Posts: 346
- Joined: 30 Mar 2011, 00:39
- Gender: Male
High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Feedback Please!
There is plenty of threads on the subject so have a check
HCT duties aren't so bad now that the weather is getting better, but when it's raining/cold/snow not having somewhere to sit for a break can get depressing. Just make sure you never leave it unattended longer than you should.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Feedback Please!
I’ve searched for both HCT and “capacity” in topic titles before starting this thread and couldn’t find much really (hence using both in mine).
I thought if I’m going to collate a load of opinion on this method I might as well make it neat for the guy in the future (yes, you, reader from tomorrow, you owe me one).
I thought if I’m going to collate a load of opinion on this method I might as well make it neat for the guy in the future (yes, you, reader from tomorrow, you owe me one).
-
DGH
- Posts: 710
- Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
- Gender: Male
- Location: Neither here nor there
High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Feedback Please!
Do you like using one? If not, why not?
They're okay to use.
Do you find it causes any problems to you physically?
I tend to find a week on a trolley job a bit more tiring than a park/loop. Otherwise not really.
Do you often get your whole round into the trolley?
Seldom.
Do you put many parcels out for a driver so that you can fit the rest in?
Yes. More than I'd like to really but the trolleys were designed for shorter delivery spans, fewer addresses and a damn sight fewer packets than we have now.
Do you hate being outside for a solid five hours without the shelter of a van?
Only if it really hammers with rain all day.
Is there any advice you can give to someone about to commit to such a duty?
Practise bladder control.
They're okay to use.
Do you find it causes any problems to you physically?
I tend to find a week on a trolley job a bit more tiring than a park/loop. Otherwise not really.
Do you often get your whole round into the trolley?
Seldom.
Do you put many parcels out for a driver so that you can fit the rest in?
Yes. More than I'd like to really but the trolleys were designed for shorter delivery spans, fewer addresses and a damn sight fewer packets than we have now.
Do you hate being outside for a solid five hours without the shelter of a van?
Only if it really hammers with rain all day.
Is there any advice you can give to someone about to commit to such a duty?
Practise bladder control.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Feedback Please!
Haha thanks!
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Feedback Please!
Having used a HCT for the best part of 6 years now I have to say I hate the thing.
Pushing 120kg is physically tiring. Even by the end you are still pushing the 50kg it weighs plus whatever packets you couldn't deliver.
If I never saw a HCT ever again it would be too soon.
I don't mind the cold. I don't mind the rain. I hate the wind.
It doesn't matter which way you are walking the wind seems always to be in your face. Pushing 100kg into a gale force wind is a nightmare.
Pushing 120kg is physically tiring. Even by the end you are still pushing the 50kg it weighs plus whatever packets you couldn't deliver.
If I never saw a HCT ever again it would be too soon.
I don't mind the cold. I don't mind the rain. I hate the wind.
It doesn't matter which way you are walking the wind seems always to be in your face. Pushing 100kg into a gale force wind is a nightmare.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Feedback Please!
Hmmm interesting response. Exactly the sort of thing I was anxiously waiting for. I’m looking for good points to offset your post now..
-
ted_e_bear
- Posts: 4110
- Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
- Gender: Male
High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Feedback Please!
I'll start the ball rolling with :LaggyBand wrote:Hmmm interesting response. Exactly the sort of thing I was anxiously waiting for. I’m looking for good points to offset your post now..
1. You get to work on your own.
2. Assuming you're a driver then you're well away from van checks, breakdowns, all the extra responsibility etc that you get for being a driver for no extra pay.
-
Xr4
- Posts: 107
- Joined: 23 Apr 2016, 09:15
- Gender: Male
High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Feedback Please!
I find that my shoulders and arms ache after a couple of hours, hard to get to sleep after a day using one. It's the constant stopping and starting, plus you can't leave the damn thing out of sight for more than 10 mins. Luckily I never got caught before I found that out!
I've got a doctors note stating I can't push or pull more than 50kg due to my joints, just van duties for me :)
I've got a doctors note stating I can't push or pull more than 50kg due to my joints, just van duties for me :)
-
MissKazzyB
- Posts: 80
- Joined: 22 Mar 2017, 21:50
- Gender: Female
High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Feedback Please!
Hi
I’ve been with RM for 8 months now & ive only used a HCT every day.
I don’t actually mind it tbh. As someone else stated....Your on your own so at least you can go at your own pace & not have anyone moaning that your too slow (obviously if you are) I count myself to be quite fast however there’s some days where I can’t be bothered & I’ll go slower than my normal pace but at least no one can moan.
I have been questioning lately that I’d like to do my round in a van as it’s probably quicker.....I done just that one day last week & it’s made no difference.
Yes it is horrible when it’s pouring down with rain & windy but that’s part & parcel of the job. Just can’t wait for the summer to be out walking around, delivering, getting my exercise, getting paid for it & getting my sun tan on :-))))
Can’t you ask to try it out for a week first before you commit to permanently using one ?
Good luck
I’ve been with RM for 8 months now & ive only used a HCT every day.
I don’t actually mind it tbh. As someone else stated....Your on your own so at least you can go at your own pace & not have anyone moaning that your too slow (obviously if you are) I count myself to be quite fast however there’s some days where I can’t be bothered & I’ll go slower than my normal pace but at least no one can moan.
I have been questioning lately that I’d like to do my round in a van as it’s probably quicker.....I done just that one day last week & it’s made no difference.
Yes it is horrible when it’s pouring down with rain & windy but that’s part & parcel of the job. Just can’t wait for the summer to be out walking around, delivering, getting my exercise, getting paid for it & getting my sun tan on :-))))
Can’t you ask to try it out for a week first before you commit to permanently using one ?
Good luck
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3727
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Feedback Please!
Old thread with a SSOW for the HCT (dated 2010):
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 36&t=31871" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 36&t=31871" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Feedback Please!
I can't stand them personally, yet some in my office swear by them. All depends what you're used to it seems to me. I can't get used to the lack of space in them, on busy days it's a right pain to try and keep your returns seperate from everything else. On top of that it's impossible to get everything in on busy days so you're relying on a driver to drop work to you. You also have to load them backwards to how you would normally load a van, obviously you need the first loops on top of the trolley so you pull those loops out last on your fitting. As somebody has said above, you're meant to leave the thing for no longer than 10 minutes which is simply impractical; as is keeping your specials on your person at all times which is what you're meant to do officially.
The only upside is the lack of oversized, and if you've got a decent driver running your big packets they'll take your double ups too meaning even less to take.
The only upside is the lack of oversized, and if you've got a decent driver running your big packets they'll take your double ups too meaning even less to take.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Feedback Please!
Thank you everyone for your detailed responses, they are very useful.
If there are others that have used these please keep adding your own experiences, would like to hear about them even if similar to above!
If there are others that have used these please keep adding your own experiences, would like to hear about them even if similar to above!
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3727
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Feedback Please!
Before you use it, check that you've got keys for the lids and that the keys work and the lids will lock. Half the time they've been battered down
that much the lids will close but not lock.
If there is a lock provided to secure the HCT to a permanent fixture while you're out make sure it works and you've got key(s). Get your own if necessary - I've got
a thick bike lock with combination lock so no possibility of breaking key in the lock!!
that much the lids will close but not lock.
If there is a lock provided to secure the HCT to a permanent fixture while you're out make sure it works and you've got key(s). Get your own if necessary - I've got
a thick bike lock with combination lock so no possibility of breaking key in the lock!!
-
peshwaarinaan
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Female
High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Feedback Please!
I like a HCT duty as I like working at my own pace and I like the fact that you don't have to do any lapsing.