ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

RM taking the p..s

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

RM taking the p..s

Post by Navalron »

I joined the Royal Mail after I left the forces. I served in the Royal Navy and also for a time in RLC. I joined after forces and was wondering if there is still quite a few ex forces still joining as, for some reason about 1/3 of Glasgow mail center drivers were ex navy,lol. I worked over the years in a few d,o,s also and it was the same. Has it changed and hopefully it cannot be as bad as I read on here. I'm pro union, but the CWU really needs to sort it out. If your stand TOGETHER then NOBODY can beat yous as no other company or organization has the set up or logistics or manpower to do it. If your accept this agreement and all the LOCAL agreements and not NATIONAL agreements then you might as well phone vanguard for the odd shif here and there. This is the last stand. If yous don't hit the street, then its over. I know it will be hard for maybe even a couple of months but nobody else can do it. If not you will end up as glorified paperboys.
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

RM taking the p..s

Post by tommyrep »

I hear what you are saying.
You would expect grown men to take the view you have, but reality in RM - especially in delivery - but it’s not the case in my experience. I had a long career prior to joining RM at a DO. There are many who do not understand the basic rule of trade unionism, that is sticking together. It was a shock to me, and I am not a militant upstart by any stretch of imagination. Too many selfish colleagues, a lot of back stabbers, even more gossips and many spineless sorts.
Because of the likes mentioned it is the very hard on the others who do not dance to the DOMs tune.
There are good men/women but they are singled out as causing disruption or moaners, while the others are only interested in finishing early and prepared to give up meal breaks, cut corners and start early to assume superiority in being the best posties in the office. A childish stance but it is true I’m afraid.
A split office only works to the advantage of the type of management RM utilise, which allows intimidation, bullying and harassment to thrive, and a union oblivious or unprepared to challenge it.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

RM taking the p..s

Post by Navalron »

Tommyrep. I totally agree to everything your saying mate. A lot of people say its a different RM and it is, even from twenty years ago. The union is nothing like it was back then but it is still one of the most strong and (POTENTIALLY) powerful unions still left. I said a few months ago in one of my first posts, that I was even considering coming back to work for RM and that's why I found out about RM chat. I knew from mates still in the job how thing were going but by f..k I didn't know how much the piss is being taking out of a mostly loyal hard working Postie's up and down the UK. Like I've said a lot of do,s don't even have reps and even then the staff don't know what their due for shift work, s.a, ect. Its pathetic. All the big bosses mostly work out of mail centres but its the d.o.s who have all the power. NOTHING moves without yous working. You need to get back to national agreements so that they can stop bullying staff Into lapsing, ect,ect. Stand together. I wish yous all the best.
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

RM taking the p..s

Post by NWpostie »

The old cosy days of the 80s and early 90s were gone and with the introduction of single deliveries, that's when it became dog eat dog workplace back stabbers paradise, not many people from those days like me who remembered the solidarity and the managers used to be frightened of some of our rep who took no crap off them.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
visigoth
Posts: 105
Joined: 22 Oct 2009, 00:07
Gender: Male

RM taking the p..s

Post by visigoth »

Only RM taking the pee? Re standing together.

I'll be honest, I haven't read word one of the proposed agreement. I doubt the thing about attendance would affect me personally - if it would, I (at my age) barely care. My point is ...

Ah, the 80s & 90s. For decades I was a rep for admin staff. Back then "protecting minorities" was a thing. But now we have a "plan" that "the vast majority won't be affected so ... that's 'democracy'?".

My conscience says that something that creates division doesn't square with "unity is strength". I'll think about having a read before I vote tho'. :)
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

RM taking the p..s

Post by tommyrep »

NWpostie wrote:The old cosy days of the 80s and early 90s were gone and with the introduction of single deliveries, that's when it became dog eat dog workplace back stabbers paradise, not many people from those days like me who remembered the solidarity and the managers used to be frightened of some of our rep who took no crap off them.
I agree that the cosy days are over.
I can remember the days of being finished at 11.00 am with a 6.pm start.
It's since the 5 day week, revisions and RMs decision to utilise all paid hours - not saying they are wrong in applying that - that the work load expectations have been over egged. I know it was a tough culture shock and the OPGs were/are trying to relive early finishes,they did/do not appreciate job and knock is gone for ever. The upshot is now the complete REVERSE !
RM managers at DOs in persuit of saving and bonuses have resorted to the bullying culture we all see every day.
Many staff contribute to their own downfall by going in early and skipping breaks as well as not using agreed methods.
RM cannot and do not stop anyone doing those things but enjoy the perks and try to enforce it on others. The union know it happens, RM know it happens but they still want more than the pound of flesh. We truly are our own worst enemies, we feed the coffers of RM then complain about unreasonable work loads. How the B&H statistics are not through the roof is a mystery to me. It's shames me to witness our modern day OPGs, they have very little to no self respect and worse than that RM management know it !