ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?
-
christiani
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 13 Feb 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?
Hey everyone,
I'm currently a postman. I'm starting teacher training at the end of June, but will have a break in August until the teaching starts in September.
Before I ask my manager, does anyone know if it's possible to reduce my 24-hour contract to a zero hours one? I won't be able to work in June/July, as the training period is full-time, but will be able to in August, then maybe the odd Saturday when I start the teacher training for real from September onward.
Any advice would be much-appreciated!
I'm currently a postman. I'm starting teacher training at the end of June, but will have a break in August until the teaching starts in September.
Before I ask my manager, does anyone know if it's possible to reduce my 24-hour contract to a zero hours one? I won't be able to work in June/July, as the training period is full-time, but will be able to in August, then maybe the odd Saturday when I start the teacher training for real from September onward.
Any advice would be much-appreciated!
-
terry2972
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
- Gender: Male
Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?
A postie at our office went off for a years training and they let him have a Saturday only contract best advice is to ask and see what they could offer you
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?
A
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
-
christiani
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 13 Feb 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?
Aah ok. That's what I was hoping. The only unfortunate thing is that I won't be able to work at all during the June-July period due to the insensible nature of the training period, and it being away from home. Do you know of anyone who has changed to a completely zero hours contract?
-
estelle
- Posts: 194
- Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 10:31
- Gender: Male
Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?
Zero hour contracts do not exist in Royal Mail.
It is possible you could work extra days, bank the hours instead of being paid and then use up banked hours to take holidays to cover the time you won't be able to be in on a Saturday only contract. That would all depend on have a manager who was willing to be flexible, and be dependent on it being agreed you could bank hours (I don't know if it is supposed to be allowed, but I do know it does occasionally happen)
It is possible you could work extra days, bank the hours instead of being paid and then use up banked hours to take holidays to cover the time you won't be able to be in on a Saturday only contract. That would all depend on have a manager who was willing to be flexible, and be dependent on it being agreed you could bank hours (I don't know if it is supposed to be allowed, but I do know it does occasionally happen)
-
christiani
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 13 Feb 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?
Fair play. In that case, I'll simply leave then. Thanks for all your advice!
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?
Why don’t you ask the DOM in your office as then you’ll know if they will do it rather than just saying that you’ll leave.christiani wrote:Fair play. In that case, I'll simply leave then. Thanks for all your advice!
-
christiani
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 13 Feb 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?
I will ask him, but will leave if they can't offer the zero hours contract.
-
tone123
- Posts: 44
- Joined: 26 Jan 2016, 12:09
- Gender: Male
Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?
As an ex-teacher I can say that the shite you'll have to deal with in education will make RM's management & customers look like benevolent philanthropists.
Just remember that the vast majority of kids (by far) are fundamentally decent if often misguided. Sometimes that even applies to their parents.
Best wishes in your new career.
Just remember that the vast majority of kids (by far) are fundamentally decent if often misguided. Sometimes that even applies to their parents.
Best wishes in your new career.
-
christiani
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 13 Feb 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?
Thanks mate! :)
-
Stella102
- Posts: 597
- Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 19:32
- Gender: Male
Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?
not allowed and union would not agree on it.
-
christiani
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 13 Feb 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?
It's a shame. Although they can be abused by the wrong employer, zero hours contracts were great when I was working in the NHS. Shifts with Royal Mail will always need covering at some point, so I don't see the issue really.
-
South_London_Postie
- Posts: 306
- Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
- Gender: Male
Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?
The whole basis of a zero hour contract is the issue. They are used in the employers favour 99% of the time to have disposable staff and strip them of their rights.
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?
South_London_Postie wrote:The whole basis of a zero hour contract is the issue. They are used in the employers favour 99% of the time to have disposable staff and strip them of their rights.