ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Just want to work my hours
-
Matt123
- Posts: 45
- Joined: 07 Nov 2017, 20:12
- Gender: Male
Just want to work my hours
Hi guys,
I am part time and my hours are 9 to 2 i have been working for RM for 6 months .
when I get in the office my walk isn't ready it hasn't been thrown up , parcels haven't been marked up and 're dirs not done.some times I leave the office at 10.30 -11.00
I am put on walks I do not know and expected to complete in the same time as full timer who has been doing the walk for years
I never get to take my lunch break because I wouldn't complete
I have to rush around sometimes carrying 2 full sacks just to make up time pushing the trolley.
I took the job because I have commitments in the afternoon which I constantly miss or cancel
All I want to do is my hours , I may be a bit slower then the people who have been there years but if I'm on a walk I know and my walk is ready I will complete
it is causing me stress and as far as I can see I'm doing nothing wrong if I want to work my contracted hoursthats all I usually do what is asked of me but now I feel like the are taking the p**s
What I need to know is if I do not complete because my walk wasn't prepared or it is extra busy or on a unfamiliar walk what can they do?
Am I expected to complete everyday and go over into my time just because the manager hasnt maneged to get my walk thrown up?
Am I expected to work my lunch just because nearly everyone else in then office do?
Or can I legally just come in the office at 9.00
And be back in the office ready to leave at 2.00
With taking my lunch break
Thank you
I am part time and my hours are 9 to 2 i have been working for RM for 6 months .
when I get in the office my walk isn't ready it hasn't been thrown up , parcels haven't been marked up and 're dirs not done.some times I leave the office at 10.30 -11.00
I am put on walks I do not know and expected to complete in the same time as full timer who has been doing the walk for years
I never get to take my lunch break because I wouldn't complete
I have to rush around sometimes carrying 2 full sacks just to make up time pushing the trolley.
I took the job because I have commitments in the afternoon which I constantly miss or cancel
All I want to do is my hours , I may be a bit slower then the people who have been there years but if I'm on a walk I know and my walk is ready I will complete
it is causing me stress and as far as I can see I'm doing nothing wrong if I want to work my contracted hoursthats all I usually do what is asked of me but now I feel like the are taking the p**s
What I need to know is if I do not complete because my walk wasn't prepared or it is extra busy or on a unfamiliar walk what can they do?
Am I expected to complete everyday and go over into my time just because the manager hasnt maneged to get my walk thrown up?
Am I expected to work my lunch just because nearly everyone else in then office do?
Or can I legally just come in the office at 9.00
And be back in the office ready to leave at 2.00
With taking my lunch break
Thank you
Last edited by Matt123 on 19 Feb 2018, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Just want to work my hours
My advice would be to come in at 9am. Speak to your manager that you’re gunna have trouble completing and then tell them what you’re going to have to leave in order to finish on time. If they disagree then they can write it jn the diary, which MUST be done as this covers you in the event of having to bring mail back.
I’m sure he will start prepping your duty himself after that! Talk to your rep also
I’m sure he will start prepping your duty himself after that! Talk to your rep also
-
danterossetti
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 19 May 2013, 18:19
- Gender: Male
Just want to work my hours
Take your break.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Just want to work my hours
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 36&t=18563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; OVERRUNNING DELIVERIES OPG NOTIFICATION PROCEDURE
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
Just want to work my hours
Yes, you can come in at 9am and go home at 2pm as they are your contracted hours. If the delivery isn’t ready and that leads you to get out late then you are bound not to complete on time. As long as you inform your manager and follow the correct procedures for cutting off then you are doing nothing wrong.Matt123 wrote:Hi guys,
I am part time and my hours are 9 to 2 i have been working for RM for 6 months .
when I get in the office my walk isn't ready it hasn't been thrown up , parcels haven't been marked up and 're dirs not done.some times I leave the office at 10.30 -11.00
I am put on walks I do not know and expected to complete in the same time as full timer who has been doing the walk for years
I never get to take my lunch break because I wouldn't complete
I have to rush around sometimes carrying 2 full sacks just to make up time pushing the trolley.
I took the job because I have commitments in the afternoon which I constantly miss or cancel
All I want to do is my hours , I may be a bit slower then the people who have been there years but if I'm on a walk I know and my walk is ready I will complete
it is causing me stress and as far as I can see I'm doing nothing wrong if I want to work my contracted hoursthats all I usually do what is asked of me but now I feel like the are taking the p**s
What I need to know is if I do not complete because my walk wasn't prepared or it is extra busy or on a unfamiliar walk what can they do?
Am I expected to complete everyday and go over into my time just because the manager hasnt maneged to get my walk thrown up?
Am I expected to work my lunch just because nearly everyone else in then office do?
Or can I legally just come in the office at 9.00
And be back in the office ready to leave at 2.00
With taking my woman break
Thank you
If you are getting out on time and not able to complete then they may start questioning you but if late out then that’s their problem and not for you to stress about.
-
FinishOnTime
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 25 Apr 2013, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Just want to work my hours
If anyone can explain to me why it should be incumbent on a person coming in at 9 to tell their gaffer that they can't complete when their manager has done nothing to make sure their walk is ready, I'd be fascinated to know. Any agreement that doesn't address this nonsense isn't worth the paper it's written on.
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
Just want to work my hours
On interview did you say you had to finish at two or like most of us did you say you work well in a team and are flexible.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Just want to work my hours
Absolutely spot on. Why waste time and resources negotiating a 35 hour week that will never ever happen? The real issues we face daily are ignored.FinishOnTime wrote:Any agreement that doesn't address this nonsense isn't worth the paper it's written on.
-
FinishOnTime
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 25 Apr 2013, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Just want to work my hours
cpsteve wrote:On interview did you say you had to finish at two or like most of us did you say you work well in a team and are flexible.
"Flexibility" means being adaptable and willing to do a number of different duties, especially when you first start. It doesn't mean being obliged to work over your contracted your hours every day because your manager is an incompetent buffoon.
If Royal Mail wanted someone to work full time hours, they should have given him a full time contract.
-
tommyrep
- Posts: 561
- Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
- Gender: Male
Just want to work my hours
Hello !
Is there anybody there ?
Where is the rep at this poor guys office ?
Where are the senior colleagues to speak up for this guy ?
Oh, at least one of them has scarpered out the office without completing their indoor work!
Why does the DOM let them leave the office before time without completing the prep work ?
These are not hard questions, we have a gutless DOM prepared to exploit a new PT rather than get the work done and stop FT staff leaving the office. We have a selfish FT member of staff not doing the work - ok if he is on IP too long, detailed to other work - this is not reason for the PT person to be expected to do additional indoor work AS WELL as complete a duty delivery within his contracted hours.
This type of treatment is rife, new starts have no protection from others - particularly from the rep and/or union.
Managers get away with this intimidation, harassment and bullying and it is wrong. The guy only wishes to work his contracted hours, he is NOT committing a crime, when is some one going to impact on DOMs that this treatment is unacceptable ? It is cruel, despicable and our union are long overdue in dealing with it. This is no t an isolated case, it’s rife and common knowledge within delivery and we ALL know it. It’s shameful.
Is there anybody there ?
Where is the rep at this poor guys office ?
Where are the senior colleagues to speak up for this guy ?
Oh, at least one of them has scarpered out the office without completing their indoor work!
Why does the DOM let them leave the office before time without completing the prep work ?
These are not hard questions, we have a gutless DOM prepared to exploit a new PT rather than get the work done and stop FT staff leaving the office. We have a selfish FT member of staff not doing the work - ok if he is on IP too long, detailed to other work - this is not reason for the PT person to be expected to do additional indoor work AS WELL as complete a duty delivery within his contracted hours.
This type of treatment is rife, new starts have no protection from others - particularly from the rep and/or union.
Managers get away with this intimidation, harassment and bullying and it is wrong. The guy only wishes to work his contracted hours, he is NOT committing a crime, when is some one going to impact on DOMs that this treatment is unacceptable ? It is cruel, despicable and our union are long overdue in dealing with it. This is no t an isolated case, it’s rife and common knowledge within delivery and we ALL know it. It’s shameful.
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Just want to work my hours
And what do you to stop it in your office??an please from a male posting this what is his woman break??
-
Matt123
- Posts: 45
- Joined: 07 Nov 2017, 20:12
- Gender: Male
Just want to work my hours
I told them I can work over any day other then tues, Friday and I told the manager at the officecpsteve wrote:On interview did you say you had to finish at two or like most of us did you say you work well in a team and are flexible.
But they still didn't bother throwing up my stuff on them days and so I brought the stuff back and this is where the problem started
-
tommyrep
- Posts: 561
- Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
- Gender: Male
Just want to work my hours
If your comment is directed at me, I tried and failed due to selfish, pig headed senior posties who don’t give @ s..t about any new starts. Too many brown noses happy with their lot and left alone. DOMs who prey on naive new starts too afraid to lose a job after the trial period is up. Area reps only interested in large units and don’t car3 about those out in the sticks.aiden01 wrote:And what do you to stop it in your office??an please from a male posting this what is his woman break??
Banging my head against interpretation. Every one else can do it, not happy ? ge5 another job, etc I could go on.
My point is as a union at the top this rife unfairness in delivery is long overdue some recognition, your lot in a MC does not begin to compare with delivery.
Strength in numbers is harder to bully, small units with bully’s and a few old soldiers is a lot different.
Does our Union just continue to ignore these facts without impunity ? So wise guy, your advice is welcomed!
-
salomon2
- Posts: 103
- Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
- Gender: Female
Just want to work my hours
Find out which duty is meant to prep your round and then find out why they’re not. Speak to the manager with your rep there, if you are able to start earlier to prep your own round offer to do it on overtime, most of the part timers in our office are on 6 hr duties, I prep one of them but I don’t do the d2d’s or the redirections but it’s ready by 8.30 when they walk through the door.
-
awesomepenguin
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 14 Sep 2016, 20:14
- Gender: Male
Just want to work my hours
All the more shameful that this type of thing happens in a workplace that is meant to have union representation.tommyrep wrote:Hello !
Is there anybody there ?
Where is the rep at this poor guys office ?
Where are the senior colleagues to speak up for this guy ?
Oh, at least one of them has scarpered out the office without completing their indoor work!
Why does the DOM let them leave the office before time without completing the prep work ?
These are not hard questions, we have a gutless DOM prepared to exploit a new PT rather than get the work done and stop FT staff leaving the office. We have a selfish FT member of staff not doing the work - ok if he is on IP too long, detailed to other work - this is not reason for the PT person to be expected to do additional indoor work AS WELL as complete a duty delivery within his contracted hours.
This type of treatment is rife, new starts have no protection from others - particularly from the rep and/or union.
Managers get away with this intimidation, harassment and bullying and it is wrong. The guy only wishes to work his contracted hours, he is NOT committing a crime, when is some one going to impact on DOMs that this treatment is unacceptable ? It is cruel, despicable and our union are long overdue in dealing with it. This is no t an isolated case, it’s rife and common knowledge within delivery and we ALL know it. It’s shameful.
Those at the top know this happens all the time - they should hang their heads in shame.