ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Leaving and returning to Royal Mail employment

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
paul39222
Posts: 8
Joined: 15 Oct 2014, 16:41
Gender: Male

Leaving and returning to Royal Mail employment

Post by paul39222 »

I am on a permanent contract but plan to leave my Royal Mail postman job after just ten months' employment to attempt to set up a small business. I wonder if any of you know whether that would be a black mark against me if I were to reapply for another postman job at a later date - either at the same DO or a different one? Or is it quite common and no problem for postmen to work in postman jobs as and when they need them?

Do you think it would make any difference if I left after a year instead of ten months?

Cheers.
Last edited by paul39222 on 18 Feb 2018, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Leaving and returning to Royal Mail employment

Post by Creditshampoo »

Could ask for a career break
patno1
Posts: 16
Joined: 04 Oct 2010, 18:42
Gender: Male

Leaving and returning to Royal Mail employment

Post by patno1 »

Can't see why it would be a problem think you have to leave 6 months before reapplying though some the others would be able to more definitely though.
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Leaving and returning to Royal Mail employment

Post by maisymoo04 »

:whistle :whistle :whistle :whistle
paul39222 wrote:I am on a permanent contract but plan to leave my Royal Mail postman job after just ten months' employment to attempt to set up a small business. I wonder if any of you know whether that would be a black mark against me if I were to reapply for another postman job at a later date - either at the same DO or a different one? Or is it quite common and no problem for postmen to work in postman jobs as and when they need them?

Do you think it would make any difference if I left after a year instead of ten months?

Cheers.
need any staff paul :whistle :whistle :whistle
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
salomon2
Posts: 103
Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
Gender: Female

Leaving and returning to Royal Mail employment

Post by salomon2 »

We had someone leave after 11 months and reapplied when a job came up and she didn’t get it but she reapplied when another job came up which she got. Different hours but if she had left after a year she could have returned to the same job without losing her seniority after 6 weeks or after a career break without having to wait for a vacancy.
South_London_Postie
Posts: 306
Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
Gender: Male

Leaving and returning to Royal Mail employment

Post by South_London_Postie »

I would say to push for a career break, so if your business doesn’t go to plan you have a guaranteed job to return to no hassle. I think you need to be working with Royal Mail for a certain amount of time before you can apply for the career break. I’m sure someone will be along to confirm.