ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
christiani
Posts: 33
Joined: 13 Feb 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?

Post by christiani »

Hey everyone,

I'm currently a postman. I'm starting teacher training at the end of June, but will have a break in August until the teaching starts in September.

Before I ask my manager, does anyone know if it's possible to reduce my 24-hour contract to a zero hours one? I won't be able to work in June/July, as the training period is full-time, but will be able to in August, then maybe the odd Saturday when I start the teacher training for real from September onward.

Any advice would be much-appreciated!
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?

Post by terry2972 »

A postie at our office went off for a years training and they let him have a Saturday only contract best advice is to ask and see what they could offer you
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?

Post by 97gaz »

A
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
christiani
Posts: 33
Joined: 13 Feb 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?

Post by christiani »

Aah ok. That's what I was hoping. The only unfortunate thing is that I won't be able to work at all during the June-July period due to the insensible nature of the training period, and it being away from home. Do you know of anyone who has changed to a completely zero hours contract?
estelle
Posts: 194
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 10:31
Gender: Male

Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?

Post by estelle »

Zero hour contracts do not exist in Royal Mail.

It is possible you could work extra days, bank the hours instead of being paid and then use up banked hours to take holidays to cover the time you won't be able to be in on a Saturday only contract. That would all depend on have a manager who was willing to be flexible, and be dependent on it being agreed you could bank hours (I don't know if it is supposed to be allowed, but I do know it does occasionally happen)
christiani
Posts: 33
Joined: 13 Feb 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?

Post by christiani »

Fair play. In that case, I'll simply leave then. Thanks for all your advice!
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?

Post by joewyan »

christiani wrote:Fair play. In that case, I'll simply leave then. Thanks for all your advice!
Why don’t you ask the DOM in your office as then you’ll know if they will do it rather than just saying that you’ll leave.
christiani
Posts: 33
Joined: 13 Feb 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?

Post by christiani »

I will ask him, but will leave if they can't offer the zero hours contract.
tone123
Posts: 44
Joined: 26 Jan 2016, 12:09
Gender: Male

Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?

Post by tone123 »

As an ex-teacher I can say that the shite you'll have to deal with in education will make RM's management & customers look like benevolent philanthropists. :shock:

Just remember that the vast majority of kids (by far) are fundamentally decent if often misguided. Sometimes that even applies to their parents.
Best wishes in your new career.
christiani
Posts: 33
Joined: 13 Feb 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?

Post by christiani »

Thanks mate! :)
Stella102
Posts: 597
Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 19:32
Gender: Male

Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?

Post by Stella102 »

not allowed and union would not agree on it.
christiani
Posts: 33
Joined: 13 Feb 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?

Post by christiani »

It's a shame. Although they can be abused by the wrong employer, zero hours contracts were great when I was working in the NHS. Shifts with Royal Mail will always need covering at some point, so I don't see the issue really.
South_London_Postie
Posts: 306
Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
Gender: Male

Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?

Post by South_London_Postie »

The whole basis of a zero hour contract is the issue. They are used in the employers favour 99% of the time to have disposable staff and strip them of their rights.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Is it possible to reduce contract to zero hours?

Post by Interested-seeker »

South_London_Postie wrote:The whole basis of a zero hour contract is the issue. They are used in the employers favour 99% of the time to have disposable staff and strip them of their rights.
:thumbup