ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Saturdays

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
CityBoy
Posts: 9
Joined: 31 Jan 2018, 13:18
Gender: Male

Saturdays

Post by CityBoy »

hello, I'm a new postie (this has been my 10th week) and just wanted to ask for views and advice on Saturdays and days off. I am part timer on 25 hours over 5 days and was under the impression that I am entitled to 1 Saturday off in 6. I'm now working my 7th Saturday tomorrow. Now, I did ask my DOM who told me that as a reserve the 1 in 6 doesnt apply! I was pretty sure this was BS and spoke to my rep who in turn said he would have a word with the manager. The rep did speak to the DOM (well, an acting one) and to cut a long story short I do have next Saturday off instead. the acting DOM did say that in theory 1 in 6 applies but this is subject to the needs of the DO.He also suggested 'you scratch our back and we will scratch yours'!
Now, I accepted this for now as I do have next Saturday off and I'm happy with the role of my rep who also came back to me and said that I should therefore get 2 Saturdays each 12 weeks.
What is the situation in other DOs with part timers and Saturdays?
Plus, what about other week days off, most of my days off are Mondays and Tuesdays, though ive had a few Wednesdays too. will I get a Thursday of Friday off?

anyway, thanks for any views and advice
Cheers
itinerant
Posts: 156
Joined: 16 Sep 2017, 17:54
Gender: Male

Saturdays

Post by itinerant »

I am a part-timer on 30 hours/5 day week

I get a rotating day of each week and have always had my saturday off when it has come due (then the following monday as that is 1st day of following week so you get a long weekend off).

I have been asked to work my day off a couple of times (although they happened to be mid-week days not saturdays) and did actually work my day off this week but that's the first time I have done so in the 3 months I have been a postie. My DOM has not made me work any days off (although he did say when I first started that he would be happy for me to work my day off every week if I wanted to but I nipped that in the bud pretty quick and said "errr no thanks").
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Saturdays

Post by clashcityrocker »

You scratch his back.
He will stick a knife in yours.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.