I joined Royal Mail recently and signed up for CWU straight away. The union rep who came from another area really piqued my interest when he start talking about making sure you take your break, not to work for free
That being said I'm still being trained and I was out on a round with a much more experienced colleague who is also a union member. Apparently Wednesday is our busiest day, and there wasn't enough time for a break and in the end we went over by more than an hour. My colleague told me we had a lot on before we left earlier in the morning and mentioned it would be tough to get done in time so I'd have to be sharp etc. He wanted to get done on time because he had a personal matter to attend later. He starts earlier than me too so I can obviously understand, plus he's alright anyway so I don't want to let him down.
He wasn't keen on either of us calling the manager to say we weren't going to be done on time as he reckons they'll just expect us to finish it and that's how they are. He reckoned if I did it they'd just make him do it and he'd miss his personal matters in the afternoon, so I didn't call through to the manager. Anyway, we cracked on, myself doing a bit more "walking and reading" than I'd have liked and even some mild jogging, and got done. I went back and put my finish time as the actual time we finished. Hopefully may payslip reflects these hours of overtime.
I wanted some general advice from the hive mind of people on here, about how I should have handled that and what I should do going forward, especially if my payslip doesn't reflect that extra time?
Any and all advice appreciated!
Time for a tea I think.