ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Collections from P.O query

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
polar bear
Posts: 33
Joined: 31 May 2012, 13:06
Gender: Male

Collections from P.O query

Post by polar bear »

Hypothetical question.
You are collecting at the Post Office and their cut off is at 5:00
Someone buys stamps at 5:01 puts them on a letter a gives it to you rather than PO worker. Are you allowed to take this letter. Or does the person have to give it to P.O worker to get collected tomorrow or find a box that collects later which may not be possible
the cheshire elf
Posts: 21
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:05
Gender: Male

Collections from P.O query

Post by the cheshire elf »

Simply answer its up to you as long as it don't put you behind time wise
polar bear
Posts: 33
Joined: 31 May 2012, 13:06
Gender: Male

Collections from P.O query

Post by polar bear »

Thanks very much.
The P.O worker told this person that he was too late and that the letter can't be sent by her that day. The person with the letter asked me if I could take it, I said I would be happy too. But the P.O worker told us that it's not allowed and sent the person away to post it in a box that hadn't been collected yet. I just wanted to know for future reference. All hypothetically of course.

Just like add the post office worker says she is not allowed to give loose mail and after the time. But the man was going to hand it to me this side of the glass. Anyway I hope he got to a box on time which I'm sure he did.
Last edited by polar bear on 14 Feb 2018, 11:49, edited 1 time in total.
panch1989
Posts: 104
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 07:44
Gender: Male

Collections from P.O query

Post by panch1989 »

Tell the p.o to get a life, be nice and take the letter, as long as it doesn't delay you for the next call.
polar bear
Posts: 33
Joined: 31 May 2012, 13:06
Gender: Male

Collections from P.O query

Post by polar bear »

There is actually more to this because the post office was quite busy and everyone in the queue was quite vocal towards the post office worker. The post office worker was absolutely livid that I said I would take the letter because it made them look bad. and the next couple of times I collected mail through the hatch I could have swore they deliberately coughed on me and alas a few days later I'm down with the flu. Crazy eh
kashmir58
Posts: 21
Joined: 16 Jan 2011, 10:28
Gender: Male

Collections from P.O query

Post by kashmir58 »

Remember if it goes missing,they will ask where did you post it.....oh i gave it the postman you all know that Royal Mail will look at any excuse to get rid of you
If time permits simply ask them to post it in the box explain why you’re asking them to this not only will be there hero you will also have a job if anything goes wrong
polar bear
Posts: 33
Joined: 31 May 2012, 13:06
Gender: Male

Collections from P.O query

Post by polar bear »

Many thanks for advice
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Collections from P.O query

Post by 97gaz »

[q
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Collections from P.O query

Post by Seymour Buts »

They are the rules, if it's passed their final collection time it should go in their bag to be collected tomorrow. Same as boxes, if you've collected the box you shouldn't take the letter off the customer; it should go in the box to be collected tomorrow.

That said, I take them. It's just miserable not to in my opinion.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Collections from P.O query

Post by arnold cheshire »

Don't you mean when they come in at 5pm to post a special or birthday card and try to hold you up?