I am a reserve on a FT contract with over 10yrs service. Due to someone leaving the business a duty will becoming vacant within the next few weeks,being the most senior reserve in the office i would like to sign for this duty but I am being told that this may not be possible as the person leaving is on a 30hr contract thus the walk is a 30hr duty. I’m struggling to see the relevance of this? Surely if I’m next in line for a walk then I should get first shout? Am I correct?
Any help gratefully accepted. Thanks
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Seniority query
-
Cedar_Room
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09
Seniority query
“Shorts,in this weather?!”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
-
I_Take_My_Breaks
- Posts: 55
- Joined: 07 Feb 2014, 09:13
- Gender: Male
Seniority query
When the job comes up for signing, the most senior person to apply for the job will get it. If you want the job you can apply for the job, but expect your hours to drop down to 30 hours as that is what the job you are applying for works! Somehow I can't see you wanting to do this. You can't stay on 39 hours and and do a 30 hour job. You're just going to have to wait until a FT job comes up.Cedar_Room wrote:I am a reserve on a FT contract with over 10yrs service. Due to someone leaving the business a duty will becoming vacant within the next few weeks,being the most senior reserve in the office i would like to sign for this duty but I am being told that this may not be possible as the person leaving is on a 30hr contract thus the walk is a 30hr duty. I’m struggling to see the relevance of this? Surely if I’m next in line for a walk then I should get first shout? Am I correct?
Any help gratefully accepted. Thanks
Last edited by I_Take_My_Breaks on 13 Feb 2018, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Seniority query
You can get the first shout if you are the most senior in the office, but if they advertise it as a 30hr duty then that's what it will be, you'll lose hours, and lose them voluntarily so no payment.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Cedar_Room
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09
Seniority query
Hmmm. Not the answer I was looking for but thanks for the responses
“Shorts,in this weather?!”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Seniority query
Seniority seemed to got out of the window ages ago in the office I was in,at one time any duty that became vacant was always advertised and the most senior person always got it.Then it began to change,vacant duties were never advertised just given to who the manager wanted and if they didnt like you then you would not be considered even if you had many years of service.So very unfair but then RM dont give a toss about fairness

-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Seniority query
It doesn’t have to be the way other has stated but it requires more work from the managers to sort it out so they don’t usually bother. I am guessing the actual walk is no different for the 30hr contracted person than a walk that a full timer does. The only difference will be the indoor work (they probably start later). Delivery of the walk matters not as it’s the same. I will bet my wage that this “part time walk” has been covered by a full timer in the past for annual leave or days off. In that case did the full timer who was covering it only get paid 30hrs that week? I think not.
-
General Mannerheim
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2299
- Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
- Gender: Male
- Location: Stalag 17
Seniority query
Put in for it.Cedar_Room wrote:Hmmm. Not the answer I was looking for but thanks for the responses
Drop to 30 hour contract.
Then use your trolley and piss about, you know the drill, go for a smoke/wank whatever , don't do any IPS and spend all day throwing out 2 walks.
Book loads of overtime EVERY week.
Go and see Johnny Friendly(rep) after 6 months, take the new agreement with you. Bang on about Equality etc yadda yadda, hard done by etc etc.
Get made up to 39 hours.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
-
Cedar_Room
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09
Seniority query
I covered it less than a month ago on FT hours,you’re rightnumber one wrote:It doesn’t have to be the way other has stated but it requires more work from the managers to sort it out so they don’t usually bother. I am guessing the actual walk is no different for the 30hr contracted person than a walk that a full timer does. The only difference will be the indoor work (they probably start later). Delivery of the walk matters not as it’s the same. I will bet my wage that this “part time walk” has been covered by a full timer in the past for annual leave or days off. In that case did the full timer who was covering it only get paid 30hrs that week? I think not.
“Shorts,in this weather?!”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
-
Cedar_Room
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09
Seniority query
Haha,good ol’Johnny FriendlyGeneral Mannerheim wrote:Put in for it.Cedar_Room wrote:Hmmm. Not the answer I was looking for but thanks for the responses
Drop to 30 hour contract.
Then use your trolley and piss about, you know the drill, go for a smoke/wank whatever , don't do any IPS and spend all day throwing out 2 walks.
Book loads of overtime EVERY week.
Go and see Johnny Friendly(rep) after 6 months, take the new agreement with you. Bang on about Equality etc yadda yadda, hard done by etc etc.
Get made up to 39 hours.
“Shorts,in this weather?!”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
-
bmccoll
- Posts: 190
- Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
- Gender: Male
Seniority query
I would have thought they would use the 9 hours excess for IPS etc before commencing the 30 hr duty thus retaining your FT status. I believe that's how it works in my office. We have FT'ers on PT duties and vice versa. It's all comes down to the SIP figures.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Seniority query
If you’re the most senior reserve, you’re probably really good at switching last minute and know loads of the jobs. Bet they don’t want to lose you doing that.
I’ve always found being a great reserve hurts you long term..
I’ve always found being a great reserve hurts you long term..