ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Rise in click and collect locations

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TheRealDeal
Posts: 24
Joined: 26 Jan 2010, 18:31
Gender: Male

Rise in click and collect locations

Post by TheRealDeal »

I deliver to a click and collect supermarket and I guess from reading the new agreement proposal that RM want to expand this side of the business.

For me personally I think it's a case of be careful what you wish for.

Sure, it's a no brainer only to deliver loads of high value postage items to one address, but at what cost to the workforce? Will it lead to redundancies in the years to come? Ultimately it detracts from delivering to people's home addresses at a time when supposedly letter volumes are falling.

I am trying to remain positive about the outcome of a year's worth of talks, but some aspects of the proposal just don't add up.

At what point will newsagents and drycleaners staff get fed up with constantly retrieving click and collect items if all RM, Hermes, etc are all pooling the same locations?
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Rise in click and collect locations

Post by SpacePhoenix »

If the volumes end up being large enough, i wonder if they might by-pass DOs and send the stuff direct to them from the local MC
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Rise in click and collect locations

Post by k979aaa »

TheRealDeal wrote:I deliver to a click and collect supermarket and I guess from reading the new agreement proposal that RM want to expand this side of the business.

For me personally I think it's a case of be careful what you wish for.

Sure, it's a no brainer only to deliver loads of high value postage items to one address, but at what cost to the workforce? Will it lead to redundancies in the years to come? Ultimately it detracts from delivering to people's home addresses at a time when supposedly letter volumes are falling.

I am trying to remain positive about the outcome of a year's worth of talks, but some aspects of the proposal just don't add up.

At what point will newsagents and drycleaners staff get fed up with constantly retrieving click and collect items if all RM, Hermes, etc are all pooling the same locations?
I suppose as long as they get their cut per item and it temps custom into said store to buy something it is a good deal. By the way just got informed by DPD sainsburys will not let me collect could this be with the ARGOS fast track side of the business!
TheRealDeal
Posts: 24
Joined: 26 Jan 2010, 18:31
Gender: Male

Rise in click and collect locations

Post by TheRealDeal »

k979aaa wrote:
TheRealDeal wrote:I deliver to a click and collect supermarket and I guess from reading the new agreement proposal that RM want to expand this side of the business.

For me personally I think it's a case of be careful what you wish for.

Sure, it's a no brainer only to deliver loads of high value postage items to one address, but at what cost to the workforce? Will it lead to redundancies in the years to come? Ultimately it detracts from delivering to people's home addresses at a time when supposedly letter volumes are falling.

I am trying to remain positive about the outcome of a year's worth of talks, but some aspects of the proposal just don't add up.

At what point will newsagents and drycleaners staff get fed up with constantly retrieving click and collect items if all RM, Hermes, etc are all pooling the same locations?
I suppose as long as they get their cut per item and it temps custom into said store to buy something it is a good deal. By the way just got informed by DPD sainsburys will not let me collect could this be with the ARGOS fast track side of the business!
Yes, it's Sainsbury's/Argos that I deliver to. I guess I just get a bit freaked out when sometimes half the van gets taken up with click and collect. My case for it detracting from delivering to customers houses is flawed I now see. Anything that helps us achieve a 35 hour working week must be a good thing and after all, revenue is revenue.

I do sometimes wonder who's click and collect return items I am picking up though because I don't usually look at the label and I'm sure the Argos staff don't either. Could be some other courier's for all I know...
TheRealDeal
Posts: 24
Joined: 26 Jan 2010, 18:31
Gender: Male

Rise in click and collect locations

Post by TheRealDeal »

SpacePhoenix wrote:If the volumes end up being large enough, i wonder if they might by-pass DOs and send the stuff direct to them from the local MC
Would be nice if they could!