ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Can,t Get My Head Around This Job

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
grandypants
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 74
Joined: 29 Dec 2015, 21:34
Gender: Male

Can,t Get My Head Around This Job

Post by grandypants »

I,ve been with RM 17 years now, i,m 62 years old and the biggest problem I have with the job is the people I work with, now I know that sounds harsh and I don't mean it too but have none of these people worked anywhere else,no one I know has or is getting a pay rise let alone a reduction of hours,people moan they have to work to such a time, if you are in a factory you work until your finish time end of story,I remember finishing two to three hours before your time and that was after doing one over three on a second delivery,I worked as A shot blaster in a former life and if a machine was booked on a ship it had to be there so I had to stay and finish the job no matter what,I couldn't go I can,t work past my time, there where plenty who would take my place,at the end of the day we on delivery are unskilled and on really good money for what we do,now I am expecting some stick over this but be honest with yourselves where as an unskilled person would you find a better paid job with the pension,sick pay and leave anywhere else.
Shaders
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
Gender: Male
Location: Oop North

Can,t Get My Head Around This Job

Post by Shaders »

Totally agree, no it’s not the job it was but there is much much worse out there.
The job is very physical now and it takes its toll but other than that I look at it as exercise in the fresh air.
The BIG problem is the dicks that run it, or try to run it.
I’m sure most people would agree it’s only the indoors that gets to people, once outside it’s much better.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Can,t Get My Head Around This Job

Post by k979aaa »

grandypants wrote:I,ve been with RM 17 years now, i,m 62 years old and the biggest problem I have with the job is the people I work with, now I know that sounds harsh and I don't mean it too but have none of these people worked anywhere else,no one I know has or is getting a pay rise let alone a reduction of hours,people moan they have to work to such a time, if you are in a factory you work until your finish time end of story,I remember finishing two to three hours before your time and that was after doing one over three on a second delivery,I worked as A shot blaster in a former life and if a machine was booked on a ship it had to be there so I had to stay and finish the job no matter what,I couldn't go I can,t work past my time, there where plenty who would take my place,at the end of the day we on delivery are unskilled and on really good money for what we do,now I am expecting some stick over this but be honest with yourselves where as an unskilled person would you find a better paid job with the pension,sick pay and leave anywhere else.
NHS TNT UPS DPD HMP Sainsburys tesco asda even aldi better places to work in without backstabbing work colleges or piss poor management!
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Can,t Get My Head Around This Job

Post by fishtank »

be honest with yourselves where as an unskilled person would you find a better paid job with the pension,sick pay and leave anywhere else.
There's a reason for that.
It's because we've fought to get those things sometimes at personal cost over the last 30 years. It would be a shame to give them up just because some other guy somewhere else isn't getting a pay rise.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Can,t Get My Head Around This Job

Post by k979aaa »

fishtank wrote:
be honest with yourselves where as an unskilled person would you find a better paid job with the pension,sick pay and leave anywhere else.
There's a reason for that.
It's because we've fought to get those things sometimes at personal cost over the last 30 years. It would be a shame to give them up just because some other guy somewhere else isn't getting a pay rise.
Quite right but we have conceded once over the pension in 2006 and now are hungry for more and they are back with a vengeance!
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Can,t Get My Head Around This Job

Post by redneck »

Those tiresome arguments about how crap everyone else's job is and we should be thankful for being bullied and harrassed from time to time.

Carry on as we are and we'll be worse off than them in a very short period of time..
grandypants
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 74
Joined: 29 Dec 2015, 21:34
Gender: Male

Can,t Get My Head Around This Job

Post by grandypants »

sorry but ive been more bullied and harassed in other jobs rather than this one
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Can,t Get My Head Around This Job

Post by Jpro747 »

We’re in a union, we stand up for what we’re worth. Maybe other workers should do the same.
Ozzvaldo
Posts: 476
Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 20:35
Gender: Female

Can,t Get My Head Around This Job

Post by Ozzvaldo »

grandypants wrote:sorry but ive been more bullied and harassed in other jobs rather than this one
I haven't. Far from it.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Can,t Get My Head Around This Job

Post by crimson king »

Shaders wrote:Totally agree, no it’s not the job it was but there is much much worse out there.
The job is very physical now and it takes its toll but other than that I look at it as exercise in the fresh air.
The BIG problem is the dicks that run it, or try to run it.
I’m sure most people would agree it’s only the indoors that gets to people, once outside it’s much better.
Amen.

Exercise in the fresh air.

A bad day on the mail is better than a good day in the office.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
awesomepenguin
Posts: 122
Joined: 14 Sep 2016, 20:14
Gender: Male

Can,t Get My Head Around This Job

Post by awesomepenguin »

I don't have a problem working the hours I am paid. My problem is being expected to work over my time simply because of unrealistic workloads and the daily battle with managers when you tell them you are going to finish on your scheduled finish time.
nuns
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Oct 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Can,t Get My Head Around This Job

Post by nuns »

i did this once and never been back ..... shipped out loan ... Love it
stodgy88
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 641
Joined: 14 Nov 2008, 20:11
Gender: Male

Can,t Get My Head Around This Job

Post by stodgy88 »

NHS TNT UPS DPD HMP Sainsburys tesco asda even aldi better places to work in without backstabbing work colleges or piss poor management!


A courier for the parcel giant DPD who was fined for attending a medical appointment to treat his diabetes collapsed and died of the disease, it has emerged. Don Lane, 53, from Christchurch in Dorset, missed appointments with specialists because he felt under pressure to cover his round and faced DPD’s £150 daily penalties if he did not find cover, his widow has told the Guardian.
Nigel1505
Posts: 409
Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
Gender: Male

Can,t Get My Head Around This Job

Post by Nigel1505 »

"I don't have a problem working the hours I am paid. My problem is being expected to work over my time simply because of unrealistic workloads and the daily battle with managers when you tell them you are going to finish on your scheduled finish time".

This is because RM are not in the real world of industry as it is today. Outside this Dickensian way of working, there is a whole new world of modernism within the framework of industry. Basically what I am trying to say is that they are way behind the times of life outside RM and the management (not all) are institutionalized into believing that their way is right, because they don't know any different. And I am unanimous in thinking this. :no no
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Can,t Get My Head Around This Job

Post by maisymoo04 »

once you get out on delivery its ok do job properly great , its just being inside were all the moaning is why he doing this that? am first on the overtime ? all worrying what other people our doing ? list goes on just how it is am afraid (sorry did I mention the b and h aswell ) by both :nervous :nervous :cuppa
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"