ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Can,t Get My Head Around This Job
-
grandypants
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 74
- Joined: 29 Dec 2015, 21:34
- Gender: Male
Can,t Get My Head Around This Job
I,ve been with RM 17 years now, i,m 62 years old and the biggest problem I have with the job is the people I work with, now I know that sounds harsh and I don't mean it too but have none of these people worked anywhere else,no one I know has or is getting a pay rise let alone a reduction of hours,people moan they have to work to such a time, if you are in a factory you work until your finish time end of story,I remember finishing two to three hours before your time and that was after doing one over three on a second delivery,I worked as A shot blaster in a former life and if a machine was booked on a ship it had to be there so I had to stay and finish the job no matter what,I couldn't go I can,t work past my time, there where plenty who would take my place,at the end of the day we on delivery are unskilled and on really good money for what we do,now I am expecting some stick over this but be honest with yourselves where as an unskilled person would you find a better paid job with the pension,sick pay and leave anywhere else.
-
Shaders
- Posts: 218
- Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
- Gender: Male
- Location: Oop North
Can,t Get My Head Around This Job
Totally agree, no it’s not the job it was but there is much much worse out there.
The job is very physical now and it takes its toll but other than that I look at it as exercise in the fresh air.
The BIG problem is the dicks that run it, or try to run it.
I’m sure most people would agree it’s only the indoors that gets to people, once outside it’s much better.
The job is very physical now and it takes its toll but other than that I look at it as exercise in the fresh air.
The BIG problem is the dicks that run it, or try to run it.
I’m sure most people would agree it’s only the indoors that gets to people, once outside it’s much better.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Can,t Get My Head Around This Job
NHS TNT UPS DPD HMP Sainsburys tesco asda even aldi better places to work in without backstabbing work colleges or piss poor management!grandypants wrote:I,ve been with RM 17 years now, i,m 62 years old and the biggest problem I have with the job is the people I work with, now I know that sounds harsh and I don't mean it too but have none of these people worked anywhere else,no one I know has or is getting a pay rise let alone a reduction of hours,people moan they have to work to such a time, if you are in a factory you work until your finish time end of story,I remember finishing two to three hours before your time and that was after doing one over three on a second delivery,I worked as A shot blaster in a former life and if a machine was booked on a ship it had to be there so I had to stay and finish the job no matter what,I couldn't go I can,t work past my time, there where plenty who would take my place,at the end of the day we on delivery are unskilled and on really good money for what we do,now I am expecting some stick over this but be honest with yourselves where as an unskilled person would you find a better paid job with the pension,sick pay and leave anywhere else.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Can,t Get My Head Around This Job
There's a reason for that.be honest with yourselves where as an unskilled person would you find a better paid job with the pension,sick pay and leave anywhere else.
It's because we've fought to get those things sometimes at personal cost over the last 30 years. It would be a shame to give them up just because some other guy somewhere else isn't getting a pay rise.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Can,t Get My Head Around This Job
Quite right but we have conceded once over the pension in 2006 and now are hungry for more and they are back with a vengeance!fishtank wrote:There's a reason for that.be honest with yourselves where as an unskilled person would you find a better paid job with the pension,sick pay and leave anywhere else.
It's because we've fought to get those things sometimes at personal cost over the last 30 years. It would be a shame to give them up just because some other guy somewhere else isn't getting a pay rise.
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Can,t Get My Head Around This Job
Those tiresome arguments about how crap everyone else's job is and we should be thankful for being bullied and harrassed from time to time.
Carry on as we are and we'll be worse off than them in a very short period of time..
Carry on as we are and we'll be worse off than them in a very short period of time..
-
grandypants
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 74
- Joined: 29 Dec 2015, 21:34
- Gender: Male
Can,t Get My Head Around This Job
sorry but ive been more bullied and harassed in other jobs rather than this one
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Can,t Get My Head Around This Job
We’re in a union, we stand up for what we’re worth. Maybe other workers should do the same.
-
Ozzvaldo
- Posts: 476
- Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 20:35
- Gender: Female
Can,t Get My Head Around This Job
I haven't. Far from it.grandypants wrote:sorry but ive been more bullied and harassed in other jobs rather than this one
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Can,t Get My Head Around This Job
Amen.Shaders wrote:Totally agree, no it’s not the job it was but there is much much worse out there.
The job is very physical now and it takes its toll but other than that I look at it as exercise in the fresh air.
The BIG problem is the dicks that run it, or try to run it.
I’m sure most people would agree it’s only the indoors that gets to people, once outside it’s much better.
Exercise in the fresh air.
A bad day on the mail is better than a good day in the office.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
awesomepenguin
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 14 Sep 2016, 20:14
- Gender: Male
Can,t Get My Head Around This Job
I don't have a problem working the hours I am paid. My problem is being expected to work over my time simply because of unrealistic workloads and the daily battle with managers when you tell them you are going to finish on your scheduled finish time.
-
nuns
- Posts: 147
- Joined: 14 Oct 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Can,t Get My Head Around This Job
i did this once and never been back ..... shipped out loan ... Love it
-
stodgy88
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 641
- Joined: 14 Nov 2008, 20:11
- Gender: Male
Can,t Get My Head Around This Job
NHS TNT UPS DPD HMP Sainsburys tesco asda even aldi better places to work in without backstabbing work colleges or piss poor management!
A courier for the parcel giant DPD who was fined for attending a medical appointment to treat his diabetes collapsed and died of the disease, it has emerged. Don Lane, 53, from Christchurch in Dorset, missed appointments with specialists because he felt under pressure to cover his round and faced DPD’s £150 daily penalties if he did not find cover, his widow has told the Guardian.
A courier for the parcel giant DPD who was fined for attending a medical appointment to treat his diabetes collapsed and died of the disease, it has emerged. Don Lane, 53, from Christchurch in Dorset, missed appointments with specialists because he felt under pressure to cover his round and faced DPD’s £150 daily penalties if he did not find cover, his widow has told the Guardian.
-
Nigel1505
- Posts: 409
- Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
- Gender: Male
Can,t Get My Head Around This Job
"I don't have a problem working the hours I am paid. My problem is being expected to work over my time simply because of unrealistic workloads and the daily battle with managers when you tell them you are going to finish on your scheduled finish time".
This is because RM are not in the real world of industry as it is today. Outside this Dickensian way of working, there is a whole new world of modernism within the framework of industry. Basically what I am trying to say is that they are way behind the times of life outside RM and the management (not all) are institutionalized into believing that their way is right, because they don't know any different. And I am unanimous in thinking this.
This is because RM are not in the real world of industry as it is today. Outside this Dickensian way of working, there is a whole new world of modernism within the framework of industry. Basically what I am trying to say is that they are way behind the times of life outside RM and the management (not all) are institutionalized into believing that their way is right, because they don't know any different. And I am unanimous in thinking this.
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Can,t Get My Head Around This Job
once you get out on delivery its ok do job properly great , its just being inside were all the moaning is why he doing this that? am first on the overtime ? all worrying what other people our doing ? list goes on just how it is am afraid (sorry did I mention the b and h aswell ) by both

"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"