ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Attendance Review Meeting Stage 1

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Emma10
Posts: 1
Joined: 30 Jan 2018, 20:00
Gender: Female

Attendance Review Meeting Stage 1

Post by Emma10 »

I received a letter about having an attendance review meeting for a stage 1 due to too many absences. It read that 4 absences in the 12 month period but I started the job 4th Jan 2017 and had 1 day off sick in February and one day off sick July and then August 1 day. However I recently passed my 12 month period January 4th gone and I was absent two days
From the 23rd Jan but I have received about too many absences in the 12 month period even though the last two were after that? A little confused however after this I accept I was genuinely sick these days and if I receive a stage one what exactly happens and is said in this interview?
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Attendance Review Meeting Stage 1

Post by fishtank »

It's a rolling 12 month period therefore...

Feb 2017
July 2017
Aug 2017
Jan 2018

4 absences in a 12 month period.

What will be said is that although royal mail accept that all absence is considered genuine you have breached the standards therefore you'll be issued with a stage 1, a further breach with the next 6 months ( 2 absences or 10 days) will result in a stage 2 review is there anything Royal Mail can do to help?

That's about it.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Attendance Review Meeting Stage 1

Post by rehabron »

Emma10 wrote:I received a letter about having an attendance review meeting for a stage 1 due to too many absences. It read that 4 absences in the 12 month period but I started the job 4th Jan 2017 and had 1 day off sick in February and one day off sick July and then August 1 day. However I recently passed my 12 month period January 4th gone and I was absent two days
From the 23rd Jan but I have received about too many absences in the 12 month period even though the last two were after that? A little confused however after this I accept I was genuinely sick these days and if I receive a stage one what exactly happens and is said in this interview?
February : 1 Day
July: 1 Day
August: 1 Day
January: 2 Days
Your last absence of 2 days has triggered a stage 1 on the 4 absences and none of your absences have gone a full 12 month period and your first absence is still live for calculation purposes.
As you are fairly new and hope that you are a union member take your local union rep with you to the review meeting where you will be presented with your absence history prior to the meeting for you to discuss.
Its sad that your manager has gone the formal route as the attendance procedure also includes informal meeting when your absences are given the business cause for concern and this could have been made aware to you in August.
It normally goes along the lines " is there any underlying condition that is preventing you from attending" and is there anything the business can be of assistance to help you in maintaing our attendance standards.
Receiving a stage 1 isn't the end of the world and you can clear this in 6 months from the date of your decision letter if you stay absent free.