ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Local union reps
-
seaside
- Posts: 266
- Joined: 31 May 2013, 18:51
- Gender: Female
Local union reps
Heard local union reps don't get paid, how many of us are willing to do all they do for free. Maybe high up in the union should try and change this. I think they should get paid at least £20 a week or a day off once a month, funded by the union of course. For all the union reps out there who at the moment are doing THIS for free, THANK YOU
.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Local union reps
Some are worth more than that but there are also many that take the job and use it as an easy ride towards a management position or a cushy work life by cosying up to management.
-
trouble
- Posts: 108
- Joined: 16 Jul 2009, 21:50
- Gender: Male
Local union reps
Think it differs from 1 office to the next. We used to have a good 1 who fought for every1 but management and ungreatful pratts failed to see all the unpaid work he used to do, tge guy had no life outsidr RM and it eventually wore them down.
I think that they need something to recognize all there hard work
I think that they need something to recognize all there hard work
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Local union reps
Every 6 weeks or so they get a day off in our region to attend an 'IR Framework' (industrial relations) agreed meeting with other union reps. They get a meal to the value of £7.50ish and travel expenses. That is it. Also the company generally pay (occasionally with an argument) for time taken to support the work force and mediate problems with management, as reps go over dealing with all that for sure and then doing a round. However it's correct to say it is an unpaid role.
Plenty of reps use their position for personal gain, but if you have one who doesn't and also works hard to do the best for the work force on an individual and collective basis then please try and support him/her as much as you can. It can be a lonely role, especially if no-one else is a representative in an office.
Like in the business world, there is an issue of what this role is in comparison to the package for the general sec/chief exec, but that is not a valid reason (as is sometimes argued) for people not to join the union.
Plenty of reps use their position for personal gain, but if you have one who doesn't and also works hard to do the best for the work force on an individual and collective basis then please try and support him/her as much as you can. It can be a lonely role, especially if no-one else is a representative in an office.
Like in the business world, there is an issue of what this role is in comparison to the package for the general sec/chief exec, but that is not a valid reason (as is sometimes argued) for people not to join the union.
-
osgoody1970
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 360
- Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 13:44
- Gender: Male
Local union reps
never understood, how you can go from, being a union rep to a manager, it was never a thing I could have done!!! two opposites of the spectrum!!! the best union reps do not always work the hardest!!! and the hardest working reps, sometimes do not turn out to be the best!!!
-
world class male
- Posts: 903
- Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
- Gender: Male
Local union reps
how many are also a wpc? ours is and never done any coaching in our office, so there's £36 pw for free
-
seaside
- Posts: 266
- Joined: 31 May 2013, 18:51
- Gender: Female
Local union reps
How many of us would vote for the union rep to be paid or day off once a month. I personally think its an issue that the top union should be discussing, even if it meant fees went up slightly. yes vote from me. 
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Local union reps
I don't think you want to encourage members to become reps for the wrong reasons, adding money into the mix would cause problems.
I get release to address union issues so I am in fact being paid to be a rep.
I get release to address union issues so I am in fact being paid to be a rep.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
chickenwittle
- Posts: 2095
- Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
- Gender: Male
Local union reps
This.Lincox wrote:Some are worth more than that but there are also many that take the job and use it as an easy ride towards a management position or a cushy work life by cosying up to management.
-
seaside
- Posts: 266
- Joined: 31 May 2013, 18:51
- Gender: Female
Local union reps
There are other ways without money, start 20 minutes late each day, not have to go on IPS, just an idea as we expect a lot from union reps, I wonder how many offices have no union rep.fishtank wrote:I don't think you want to encourage members to become reps for the wrong reasons, adding money into the mix would cause problems.
I get release to address union issues so I am in fact being paid to be a rep.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Local union reps
Ours isn't the best to be honest but he's quite open about the fact he'd happily move aside but nobody else wants the job so we can hardly complain.
-
vigilante
- Posts: 1155
- Joined: 20 May 2007, 19:13
- Gender: Male
- Location: dangerously close
Local union reps
I get absolutely nothing!
I use my own phone, i have no access to stationary or laptop or anything else.
You have to leave your work at the drop of a hat to represent somebody in trouble or defend their sick. No time offered! But I demand it.
I have people continually ringing me up on day's off and holiday.
Local rep is the hardest, thankless job of all and I commend any body for sticking to it for a while.
yes there is good and bad, I would never go to management as I am certainly not that way inclined and will always stick up for the normal working man/woman,who, unfortunately,
continually let me down.
But hey ho, that's the job. I do it to make sure RM don't take advantage of workers and I'm continually in the office challenging management.
Paid? Um not sure. I'm not a greedy person, but I would like more resources from branch at local level.
We don't even get section meetings anymore or any other meetings just at the end of a phone.
I'm sure I've voiced this in another thread.
I use my own phone, i have no access to stationary or laptop or anything else.
You have to leave your work at the drop of a hat to represent somebody in trouble or defend their sick. No time offered! But I demand it.
I have people continually ringing me up on day's off and holiday.
Local rep is the hardest, thankless job of all and I commend any body for sticking to it for a while.
yes there is good and bad, I would never go to management as I am certainly not that way inclined and will always stick up for the normal working man/woman,who, unfortunately,
continually let me down.
But hey ho, that's the job. I do it to make sure RM don't take advantage of workers and I'm continually in the office challenging management.
Paid? Um not sure. I'm not a greedy person, but I would like more resources from branch at local level.
We don't even get section meetings anymore or any other meetings just at the end of a phone.
I'm sure I've voiced this in another thread.
Always be one step ahead, play their game but be wiser. Revenge is sweet.
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Local union reps
Can’t pay union reps would get people doing it for free protection and the wrong reasons. Like work place coaches the snakes that they areseaside wrote:Heard local union reps don't get paid, how many of us are willing to do all they do for free. Maybe high up in the union should try and change this. I think they should get paid at least £20 a week or a day off once a month, funded by the union of course. For all the union reps out there who at the moment are doing THIS for free, THANK YOU.
-
vigilante
- Posts: 1155
- Joined: 20 May 2007, 19:13
- Gender: Male
- Location: dangerously close
Local union reps
Just shows the apathy with the amount of replies to this thread! 
Always be one step ahead, play their game but be wiser. Revenge is sweet.