ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
How many of you would take VR?
-
stroller
- Posts: 127
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 17:31
- Gender: Male
How many of you would take VR?
Just curious to see how many of you in the job would consider VR if offered? Or are any you waiting for it to come up again?
If you are interested in taking VR how many years service have you got?
If you are interested in taking VR how many years service have you got?
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
How many of you would take VR?
At the moment I would say most posties wouldn't take VR mainly because they have bills to pay etc. Maybe people who are not far off 60 might consider it.
Would it make any sense though for RM to offer VR now considering all the vacancies at DOs and maybe MCs as well that seemingly can't be filled. I think not.
Would it make any sense though for RM to offer VR now considering all the vacancies at DOs and maybe MCs as well that seemingly can't be filled. I think not.
Last edited by Celgar on 28 Jan 2018, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
loverman shabba
- Posts: 238
- Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
- Gender: Male
How many of you would take VR?
i 100% would take it
-
stroller
- Posts: 127
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 17:31
- Gender: Male
How many of you would take VR?
How many years you done?
-
loverman shabba
- Posts: 238
- Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
- Gender: Male
How many of you would take VR?
15 years. mid 30's. dont like the job anymore so to get paid to leave like winning the lottery 
-
mattjo1@talktalk.net
- Posts: 93
- Joined: 20 Jun 2014, 21:11
- Gender: Male
How many of you would take VR?
30 Years service and I would take it 100%. There are other jobs out there.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
How many of you would take VR?
Unless you have skills and/or qualifications that could move you out of the unskilled bracket leaving a job that in a couple of years will pay over £12 p/h basic might not be a great idea. Your payoff for 15 years service even if you could get it would be around a years pay, that only leaves about 30 years to go until retirement....a retirement with a very small RM pension and whatever DC pension you find yourself auto-enrolled into in the future.loverman shabba wrote:15 years. mid 30's. dont like the job anymore so to get paid to leave like winning the lottery
If people have ambition, a good solid plan to improve their lives and a backup plan in case it goes pear shaped I would definitely say go for it but leaving because you're pissed off with the job and having no clear idea what you're going to do is often the wrong move.
I've seen people leave, drift from one minimum wage job to another and wish they were back.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
loverman shabba
- Posts: 238
- Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
- Gender: Male
How many of you would take VR?
30 more years at royal mail would more than likely cripple most people into retirement. fair enough good pay for unskilled work but at what cost?
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
How many of you would take VR?
I thought that 30 years ago.loverman shabba wrote:30 more years at royal mail would more than likely cripple most people into retirement
It's a physically tiring job, it always has been but I genuinely feel less tired now than I did in the days when we were lugging overweight bags full of cable mags and sky mags, phone and gas bills. I've looked after myself and I'm relatively fit , I've had issues with my knees but. not for 4 or 5 years. I think that's the key, look after yourself, don't do too much overtime and rest on your rest days.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
Phantom
- Posts: 1234
- Joined: 27 Dec 2007, 18:17
- Gender: Female
- Location: New York
How many of you would take VR?
There would be a rush for the door and too many would want to leave especially in the mid 50's and 60's age group.
CUT OFF!!!
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6694
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
How many of you would take VR?
I’ve got 30 years’ service and I would always consider it, but whether I’d take it is another matter.
The ideal time for me would be in another 3-5 years’ time, assuming the payouts remain the same as now, as I could take it and retire without too many financial issues to worry about.
Any earlier would involve serious thought and the need to get another job(not necessarily full time).
The ideal time for me would be in another 3-5 years’ time, assuming the payouts remain the same as now, as I could take it and retire without too many financial issues to worry about.
Any earlier would involve serious thought and the need to get another job(not necessarily full time).
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
-
stroller
- Posts: 127
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 17:31
- Gender: Male
How many of you would take VR?
Fishtank,
You approach the job the right way in my opinion, with that mindset you can't go far wrong.
It seems that people with between 10 and 20 years service would like to take the money and run, and people with 30+ years service that are middle to late 50's
You approach the job the right way in my opinion, with that mindset you can't go far wrong.
It seems that people with between 10 and 20 years service would like to take the money and run, and people with 30+ years service that are middle to late 50's
-
stroller
- Posts: 127
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 17:31
- Gender: Male
How many of you would take VR?
RobertT,
You are a shrewd operator and you do your maths inside out, a lot of people don't do there sums and think the grass is greener, and the VR money does not last long in your 30's and 40's you have got a long time to start drawing your pension.
Saying that if you leave with VR and got another job lined up it does not matter about your age.
You are a shrewd operator and you do your maths inside out, a lot of people don't do there sums and think the grass is greener, and the VR money does not last long in your 30's and 40's you have got a long time to start drawing your pension.
Saying that if you leave with VR and got another job lined up it does not matter about your age.
-
thewackymonkey
- Posts: 31
- Joined: 13 May 2014, 16:04
- Gender: Male
How many of you would take VR?
Well i would take it 200%!!!
I am celebrating this year, cause i'm gonna be 53 and mortgage free thats quite an achievement don't you see. So please leave your name and number and ill get back to you A.S.A.P. Toot Toot Beep Beep!!!!!!

I am celebrating this year, cause i'm gonna be 53 and mortgage free thats quite an achievement don't you see. So please leave your name and number and ill get back to you A.S.A.P. Toot Toot Beep Beep!!!!!!
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
How many of you would take VR?
No great job, no stress good pay.