ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Are they allowed to do this?
-
Warriorpostie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 118
- Joined: 23 Jan 2018, 17:01
- Gender: Male
Are they allowed to do this?
Can two managers randomly turn up on your delivery & say they are going to watch if you are doing the job correctly? Surely they have to give you some sort of notice? This happened on a Monday after I refused overtime on the Saturday before. Coincidence? I think not!
-
osgoody1970
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 360
- Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 13:44
- Gender: Male
Are they allowed to do this?
I would insist on a rep being there, citing, that you have no faith In managers giving the right feedback!!!
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Are they allowed to do this?
Yes they are allowed to do this with no notice given. Infact they used to be encouraged to this and had a tick sheet. In the old days it was to check that you had locked your bike, not l left a bag of mail on your bike etc.
Now they check that you have locked your van, parked it in a safe place etc
Now they check that you have locked your van, parked it in a safe place etc
-
SWIM
- Posts: 425
- Joined: 11 Jan 2010, 20:33
- Gender: Male
-
TheTrolleyMan
- Posts: 776
- Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
- Gender: Male
Are they allowed to do this?
Happened to me once and the gaffer looked cheesed off when he had to follow me in the van for a mile to a public toilet ! There's more than one way to skin a cat !
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
Are they allowed to do this?
What’s wrong with it. Surely you wouldn’t mind unless you are doing something that you shouldn’t be doing. Most companies have some form of observations and feedback.
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Are they allowed to do this?
I heard that when we used to be on bikes a manager decided that he was going to come out on delivery but the problem was he couldnt keep up with the postie on his bike,and when he finally got back he was knackered! I wish that I had seen this

-
fly-catchers
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 573
- Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
- Gender: Male
Are they allowed to do this?
I remember seeing my office manager and the area manager hiding behind a fence on my delivery! Not spying on me as it happened but seeing whether the rumours of another postie going home while on delivery was true. It was he was cutting his lawn! Didn't last long after that!
-
Warriorpostie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 118
- Joined: 23 Jan 2018, 17:01
- Gender: Male
Are they allowed to do this?
As long as they do it to everyone & not just me then absolutely they can follow me all day if they want! I have nothing to hide!joewyan wrote:What’s wrong with it. Surely you wouldn’t mind unless you are doing something that you shouldn’t be doing. Most companies have some form of observations and feedback.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Are they allowed to do this?
The answer would be yes they can do that. I think usually though it would be one manager and they would let you know beforehand that they will be coming out with you. It's not really a problem though and as long as you are doing your best you don't have anything to worry about. The result will either be that the walk is too long or that you are still learning the walk and haven't got up to speed.
Many posters on this forum often mention to not go over your time unless you can book the extended and get paid for it. In my personal experience this happens during Christmas pressure but at any other time of the year it's too stressful to try and obtain. Of course this does mean when it's busier we are working for free but that's where we are at in RM nowadays. If people cut off bad things can happen such as your experience. It's a no win situation however you tackle the problem.
Many posters on this forum often mention to not go over your time unless you can book the extended and get paid for it. In my personal experience this happens during Christmas pressure but at any other time of the year it's too stressful to try and obtain. Of course this does mean when it's busier we are working for free but that's where we are at in RM nowadays. If people cut off bad things can happen such as your experience. It's a no win situation however you tackle the problem.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
terry2972
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
- Gender: Male
Are they allowed to do this?
It shows how different this company is I never have any problems with booking extended or cutting off although I just say I can or can’t and don’t argue with them
-
Warriorpostie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 118
- Joined: 23 Jan 2018, 17:01
- Gender: Male
Are they allowed to do this?
Refusing overtime isn’t ‘cutting off’. It is simply working your contracted hours! Our DOM was on holidays, our line manager is for want of a better word a ‘prick’ & his sidekick were both out watching me, leaving no management in the office at all. Shows you they have little work to be doing!! I would like to say however I have worked in other delivery offices & numerous managers. Most of them were fine to work for. & none of them ever came out to watch if I was doing things correctly!
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3727
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Are they allowed to do this?
Not a chance, not in a million years. RM pay up or I don't do it!!!Celgar wrote:....Many posters on this forum often mention to not go over your time unless you can book the extended and get paid for it. In my personal experience this happens during Christmas pressure but at any other time of the year it's too stressful to try and obtain. Of course this does mean when it's busier we are working for free......
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Are they allowed to do this?
I wish a manager would come out and watch me, then he could see how bloody long my duty is compared to others.
Although the fact that on rare occasions that I ask for a couple of loops to be taken off me because I actually want to finish on time for a change, and the colleague who takes them can finish their duty and the taken loops and still go home before me should surely be a clue that not all duties are equal?
Although the fact that on rare occasions that I ask for a couple of loops to be taken off me because I actually want to finish on time for a change, and the colleague who takes them can finish their duty and the taken loops and still go home before me should surely be a clue that not all duties are equal?
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Are they allowed to do this?
If I even go 10 minutes over I book it out of principle.
Why should they expect you to work for nothing.
Just because the DOM is salaried he cant expect you to work for nothing if you go over 39 hours
If they want to check me on my round then fine , nothing to worry about just do your job properly and finish at your time.
Some people think they HAVE to complete their round everyday and forget they can stop at their finish time.
Why should they expect you to work for nothing.
Just because the DOM is salaried he cant expect you to work for nothing if you go over 39 hours
If they want to check me on my round then fine , nothing to worry about just do your job properly and finish at your time.
Some people think they HAVE to complete their round everyday and forget they can stop at their finish time.