ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Can I refuse to do a round?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Rlb123
Posts: 9
Joined: 18 Jan 2018, 17:20
Gender: Female

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by Rlb123 »

Hi,
Iv only been with Royal Mail for two months and next week I am on my own pushing one of the big trolleys. I have never done the walk before. Iv told the manager I’m not confident doing it and have asked to be swapped with someone else and he just laughed and said I will be fine. Can anybody tell me where I stand please?
Thanks
banner
Posts: 125
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 16:38

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by banner »

2 months? I was sent on my own after 3 days.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by greengiant »

Rlb123 wrote:Hi,
Iv only been with Royal Mail for two months and next week I am on my own pushing one of the big trolleys. I have never done the walk before. Iv told the manager I’m not confident doing it and have asked to be swapped with someone else and he just laughed and said I will be fine. Can anybody tell me where I stand please?
Thanks
Perhaps speak to the regular postie on the trolley round, ask if they have any tips for doing the round, and then look on it as a learning experience?
kingeric
Posts: 133
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 13:45
Gender: Male

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by kingeric »

Sounds like he's not took you serious and thought you was joking.

In all honesty he's right. You'll be fine. Most would agree that HCT walks are the easiest delivery duties going
Rlb123
Posts: 9
Joined: 18 Jan 2018, 17:20
Gender: Female

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by Rlb123 »

banner wrote:2 months? I was sent on my own after 3 days.
Iv been on my own lots of times just never with a hct
Xr4
Posts: 107
Joined: 23 Apr 2016, 09:15
Gender: Male

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by Xr4 »

Ask for a map as soon as you get in and keep on asking till you get it, make sure your phone is fully charged with Google maps ready and don't be bullied into taking specials that you don't think you'll make.

Ask someone who knows the round for tips, short cuts and how to tie it up And write it down.

Trolley rounds are mostly easy, usually just follow your nose
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Rlb123 wrote:Hi,
Iv only been with Royal Mail for two months and next week I am on my own pushing one of the big trolleys. I have never done the walk before. Iv told the manager I’m not confident doing it and have asked to be swapped with someone else and he just laughed and said I will be fine. Can anybody tell me where I stand please?
Thanks
To answer the basic question. Sorry no, you can't refuse. its classed as a reasonable request. However, you still don't have to do overtime to complete it.

To be honest, if you have done only CDV duties you might find this easier as you have no one trying to rush you or slow you down, you cant go at your own reasonable pace. Read up on the security guidelines and check out the duty on Google earth to familiarise yourself and you should be ok.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by greengiant »

Rlb123 wrote:
banner wrote:2 months? I was sent on my own after 3 days.
Iv been on my own lots of times just never with a htc
A couple of tips from when I went out on a HCT round not long after starting.

Number your bundles of mail, and load the trolley so that the first bundles & packets are at the top, and the last bundles and packets are at the bottom. A bit of time spent organising the trolley will save time on the street, as you won't need to rummage around the trolley to find the next bundle!

Depending on amount of mail / packets, you could try putting the mail in one half of trolley, packets in the other half, so that the stuff you need first is at the top.

At least you won't have any oversize packets to do! :dance
Rlb123
Posts: 9
Joined: 18 Jan 2018, 17:20
Gender: Female

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by Rlb123 »

greengiant wrote:
Rlb123 wrote:Hi,
Iv only been with Royal Mail for two months and next week I am on my own pushing one of the big trolleys. I have never done the walk before. Iv told the manager I’m not confident doing it and have asked to be swapped with someone else and he just laughed and said I will be fine. Can anybody tell me where I stand please?
Thanks
Perhaps speak to the regular postie on the trolley round, ask if they have any tips for doing the round, and then look on it as a learning experience?
It’s his week off now. Never mind just looks like I’ll have to get on with it.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by Creditshampoo »

Put your loops in bags makes it easier to organise
Xr4
Posts: 107
Joined: 23 Apr 2016, 09:15
Gender: Male

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by Xr4 »

Rlb123 wrote:
It’s his week off now. Never mind just looks like I’ll have to get on with it.
There's more than just one person that knows the round, ask either the day off cover or the manager
Rlb123
Posts: 9
Joined: 18 Jan 2018, 17:20
Gender: Female

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by Rlb123 »

Xr4 wrote:Ask for a map as soon as you get in and keep on asking till you get it, make sure your phone is fully charged with Google maps ready and don't be bullied into taking specials that you don't think you'll make.

Ask someone who knows the round for tips, short cuts and how to tie it up And write it down.

Trolley rounds are mostly easy, usually just follow your nose
Will do, thanks.
banner
Posts: 125
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 16:38

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by banner »

Rlb123 wrote:
banner wrote:2 months? I was sent on my own after 3 days.
Iv been on my own lots of times just never with a hct

Oh, I see.

Why is it much different to doing a cdv? The hct is just in place of the van, the loops just take you back to the trolley instead of a van. The only real difference is in organizing the trolley but surely someone in the office will assist you there. If you get the trolley prepped right you'll be fine.
kingeric
Posts: 133
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 13:45
Gender: Male

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by kingeric »

greengiant wrote:
Rlb123 wrote:
banner wrote:2 months? I was sent on my own after 3 days.
Iv been on my own lots of times just never with a htc
A couple of tips from when I went out on a HCT round not long after starting.

Number your bundles of mail, and load the trolley so that the first bundles & packets are at the top, and the last bundles and packets are at the bottom. A bit of time spent organising the trolley will save time on the street, as you won't need to rummage around the trolley to find the next bundle!

Depending on amount of mail / packets, you could try putting the mail in one half of trolley, packets in the other half, so that the stuff you need first is at the top.

At least you won't have any oversize packets to do! :dance
As well as having Google maps handy this is the best advice you will get regarding a hct walk.
gone postal
Posts: 98
Joined: 16 May 2012, 19:30
Gender: Male

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by gone postal »

Remember the max time limit to leave unattended is 10minutes. So your going to have much smaller loops than your used to on the CDV's duty.