ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Advice please

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Warriorpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 118
Joined: 23 Jan 2018, 17:01
Gender: Male

Advice please

Post by Warriorpostie »

Been a postie for 9 years, transferred to a D.O closer to home 2 years ago. On a 30hr contract. Collegues of less years service here on full time deliveries. Union rep said I am next in line to be made full time yet 2 new starts just last year put onto full time rural & town deliveries. Should I not be put on to either of those runs since I am the more senior person? Should a grievance form be put in regarding this? I know some say it’s a waste of time but it’s worth a try.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Advice please

Post by rehabron »

Warriorpostie wrote:Been a postie for 9 years, transferred to a D.O closer to home 2 years ago. On a 30hr contract. Collegues of less years service here on full time deliveries. Union rep said I am next in line to be made full time yet 2 new starts just last year put onto full time rural & town deliveries. Should I not be put on to either of those runs since I am the more senior person? Should a grievance form be put in regarding this? I know some say it’s a waste of time but it’s worth a try.
As you have been with this resourcing unit for a period of 2 years and would have taken your seniority with you on the transfer then you are the more senior person although on a 30 hour contract you would have the same opportunity to apply for the full time rural & town deliveries when advertised.
Even your union rep has stated that you are next in line to be made up to full time then why has rep not put in a disagreement when duties given to new starts
Can't see how a grievance would be a waste of time.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Advice please

Post by Celgar »

I think if you transfer to another DO and there is a walk available to sign to it is offered to the other posties that were already at the DO regardless of your relative seniority. Not sure if that is helpful to you or not.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4110
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Advice please

Post by ted_e_bear »

Have the two new starts actually been made up to full time ? Or are they just covering the duties, being paid the difference in overtime due to the duties either being vacant or long term sick ?

If not then maybe the duties will be advertised soon and you'll be first in line, if they have been made up ahead of you then that's out of order and shouldn't have happened.

Have another word with the rep/dom about it someone must know.
Warriorpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 118
Joined: 23 Jan 2018, 17:01
Gender: Male

Advice please

Post by Warriorpostie »

As far as I know the new starts have not been made up to full time. My grievance is that they were put on these deliveries above me who is more senior & should be more entitled to those deliveries. They also recieve a rotating day off. when I asked could I have a rotating day was told I could not have since I was not signed to a delivery. Vacant duties were advertised last year which I applied for but did not get. Although collegues have told me they have signed for duties in the past & never got trained on them. It seems like the usual ‘corrupt’ goings on with management.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Advice please

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Celgar wrote:I think if you transfer to another DO and there is a walk available to sign to it is offered to the other posties that were already at the DO regardless of your relative seniority. Not sure if that is helpful to you or not.

As I understand it, when transferring in you can't use seniority to get a duty during the actual transfer. However, once you are on the books of the new DO then your seniority will apply for repicks and vacant duties.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Advice please

Post by rehabron »

This may be a stupid question but do you have a driving licence and have been assessed to drive RM Vehicles?
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Advice please

Post by Celgar »

RM don't employ staff for delivery offices that don't already have a full UK driving licence.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Warriorpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 118
Joined: 23 Jan 2018, 17:01
Gender: Male

Advice please

Post by Warriorpostie »

rehabron wrote:This may be a stupid question but do you have a driving licence and have been assessed to drive RM Vehicles?
Yes I have a full clean driving licence & have been assessed to drive Royal Mail vehicles right up to the larger long wheel base Mercedes sprinter sized vans. I have experienced every type of delivery too wether it be walks or rurals, even used bicycles before they stopped them. Surely I have a case for a grievance if new starts are being trained on full time deliveries over myself who is next in line for full time? Wether I get to sign for that delivery or not?
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Advice please

Post by rehabron »

Celgar wrote:RM don't employ staff for delivery offices that don't already have a full UK driving licence.
They may have 9 years ago its only recently that its been compulsory to hold a driving licence when applying for RM jobs.
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Advice please

Post by korky »

rehabron wrote:
Celgar wrote:RM don't employ staff for delivery offices that don't already have a full UK driving licence.
They may have 9 years ago its only recently that its been compulsory to hold a driving licence when applying for RM jobs.
we've had a couple of new ones last year or 2 not having a license (ex-agency)
, possibly depends on the office ratio, we have plenty of drivers
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Advice please

Post by korky »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Celgar wrote:I think if you transfer to another DO and there is a walk available to sign to it is offered to the other posties that were already at the DO regardless of your relative seniority. Not sure if that is helpful to you or not.

As I understand it, when transferring in you can't use seniority to get a duty during the actual transfer. However, once you are on the books of the new DO then your seniority will apply for repicks and vacant duties.
this is correct , we had 1 come from the call center, some got the arse on has he'd only just "started" as a postman, but he'd been with RM several years so fair enough to me