Hello, I am new to Royal Mail. I started last week and am on a 27.5hr contract working 9-2.30 5 days a week.
I have been placed on a delivery with an experienced postman and am basically shadowing him for a week. We have been working with another person who seemed friendly enough until it has been told i am to work with them on my own from next week. I have been told this person has moaned that we will not finish on time because i am new and do not start work earlier *I have children so can not start early or finish late*. The delivery is for 39hrs but i am only 27.5hr. They have also said we will be using a trolley. I haven't used on yet - although i imagine it just a case of pushing the mail and not carrying it i am wary of doing things differently to how i have been shown over the past week.
A colleague suggested this website could help me because I am worried this will affect my probation period.
- i forgot to ask. Do we have a set time for a break? I haven't had one and wasn't sure if it was taken before my start time.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
One week in
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
One week in
20 minutes break or meal relief as some put it as for trolley you pull it not push it can do yourself an injury pushing it. Well if the walk is not prepped in time it could cause you to go over it is the manager who should ensure this is done in time. But I don't think 1 week training is enough maybe the manager should get a few loop's took off you the first week or two!Jakob91 wrote:Hello, I am new to Royal Mail. I started last week and am on a 27.5hr contract working 9-2.30 5 days a week.
I have been placed on a delivery with an experienced postman and am basically shadowing him for a week. We have been working with another person who seemed friendly enough until it has been told i am to work with them on my own from next week. I have been told this person has moaned that we will not finish on time because i am new and do not start work earlier *I have children so can not start early or finish late*. The delivery is for 39hrs but i am only 27.5hr. They have also said we will be using a trolley. I haven't used on yet - although i imagine it just a case of pushing the mail and not carrying it i am wary of doing things differently to how i have been shown over the past week.
A colleague suggested this website could help me because I am worried this will affect my probation period.
- i forgot to ask. Do we have a set time for a break? I haven't had one and wasn't sure if it was taken before my start time.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
One week in
Using a trolley as in a hct or the smaller ones? We're all meant to use the smaller trolleys on deliveey but virtually nobody does so I doubt you will if you haven't been already.
As for the time just explain the situation to your boss and partner, as the more experianced postie he should know what time you'll be finished anyway based on the time you're gonna be going out and volume. Inform your line manager you can't go over your time and you'll be cutting off (leaving mail) behind.
A quick guide: Monday and Tuesday's won't be an issue as it's generally light, Wednesday and Thursday tend to be the heavier days where you might struggle as a newbie. Saturdays are pretty crap too of late.
As for the time just explain the situation to your boss and partner, as the more experianced postie he should know what time you'll be finished anyway based on the time you're gonna be going out and volume. Inform your line manager you can't go over your time and you'll be cutting off (leaving mail) behind.
A quick guide: Monday and Tuesday's won't be an issue as it's generally light, Wednesday and Thursday tend to be the heavier days where you might struggle as a newbie. Saturdays are pretty crap too of late.
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
One week in
Right. First of all DONT WORRY about the other guy moaning, you will discover moaning is the industry pastime. We all do it to some extent, some more than others. As has been said most folk don't use trolleys even though they should, if your partner uses a trolley and is pissing and moaning about finishing later it will be in his best interest to show you how it is done. Next: his problem is not your problem. You are employed to do a job and your partners home life is for him to manage. As a probationer I understand you wouldn't want to cut off/hand back, but working passed your finishing time is voluntary no matter who tells you otherwise (join the union and up make full use of your union rep) EVERYONE is slower when they first start on a walk it is to be expected,. You will learn the tricks and soon be up to speed but rushing will cause you to make mistakes and that can waste more time than it saves. Finally: if in doubt ask your rep about anything you're unsure of or worried about. From meal breaks, to claiming overtime or even about flappers/runners bad attitudes towards new starters.
Last edited by Sir Henry on 19 Jan 2018, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
One week in
The real reason you’re partner is moaning; he hasn’t got the balls to tell his manager that he wants to finish on time! In other words it’s his problem, not yours.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
One week in
9:00 - 2:30 shouldn't that be a 30 min break?k979aaa wrote: 20 minutes break
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... &mode=view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;