ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

HGV driver career path

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
JFKelly79
Posts: 11
Joined: 10 Oct 2007, 14:01

HGV driver career path

Post by JFKelly79 »

Anybody else done this? I’ve just failed my class 1 for the second time, now I’m expected to pay, I don’t have a problem with this, but the training school I learned with will not touch me as Royal Mail use pertemps, and it would be seen as poaching. Royal Mail said that I can go wherever to pass my test, pertemps won’t release me, mainly because if I do my retest through them it will be £600+VAT, and the training school is half the price.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

HGV driver career path

Post by number one »

Won’t relase you? What contract have you signed? Surely you’re your own free person. Just donthe test where you want to do it. What can they do to you?
JFKelly79
Posts: 11
Joined: 10 Oct 2007, 14:01

HGV driver career path

Post by JFKelly79 »

It’s just very frustrating, I know my dom won’t release me now, as I’m self funding without booking annual leave, the company are not interested in using me as a class 2 driver to gain experience, and I begrudge paying pertemps, as I know I can get it direct through the training company for half the price!! It just seems a whole waste of time and money by the company.
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4110
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

HGV driver career path

Post by ted_e_bear »

Are you saying that if you go on the driver career path and if you fail twice then royal mail won't fund any further training ? And if you still want to pursue it you have to carry on using pertemps ?
JFKelly79
Posts: 11
Joined: 10 Oct 2007, 14:01

HGV driver career path

Post by JFKelly79 »

Pretty much yeah, pertemps won’t take me off their system, cause they don’t wanna miss out on their cut is the feeling I’m getting!
JFKelly79
Posts: 11
Joined: 10 Oct 2007, 14:01

HGV driver career path

Post by JFKelly79 »

I’ve even asked about me doing a class 2 job for the company, but nobody seems interested. My local office only employs class 1 drivers even though there are class 2 duties there. It’s just very frustrating
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4110
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

HGV driver career path

Post by ted_e_bear »

Excuse my ignorance but can't you just go elsewhere, pay for training, pass test, get licence ? Or are the training schools bound by some sort of exclusiveity contract ? By the way it's none of my business as I'm not going to do it but you've got me wondering how they can have you by the balls, just seems so unfair.
JFKelly79
Posts: 11
Joined: 10 Oct 2007, 14:01

HGV driver career path

Post by JFKelly79 »

That’s the problem, I did 1 part of the training with 1 school and another part with a different school and so on, so I’m listed as a pertemps client with the schools and they have an agreement not to poach from each other! So nobody will touch me!! Royal Mail told me to do what you said, but they will not touch me, as pertemps will want their cut!!!
Gummage
Posts: 72
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 15:37
Gender: Male

HGV driver career path

Post by Gummage »

What is the Rm rate for Class 2 drivers please?
Izzy wizzy, let's get busy!
JFKelly79
Posts: 11
Joined: 10 Oct 2007, 14:01

HGV driver career path

Post by JFKelly79 »

If and when I find out I’ll let you know
Warriorpostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 118
Joined: 23 Jan 2018, 17:01
Gender: Male

HGV driver career path

Post by Warriorpostie »

I thought Royal Mail didn’t do HGV career path anymore? I asked about this a few years back & my DOM fobbed me off saying Royal Mail don’t pay for posties to get the HGV.
JFKelly79
Posts: 11
Joined: 10 Oct 2007, 14:01

HGV driver career path

Post by JFKelly79 »

It’s still happening, especially with the mass shortage of hgv drivers in the next 5 years, ur Dom should of let u know, maybe have a look on the career website I know it was on there last year.
GaryQ
Posts: 11
Joined: 02 Sep 2014, 20:09
Gender: Male

HGV driver career path

Post by GaryQ »

Definitely still happening. I think its advertised yearly, normally mentioned in the courier. I passed my c+e in Oct. However I have to wait until end of March to do advanced driving course which lasts a week before I can do any hgv work with royal mail. Bit crazy almost 6 months after passing test.
Never heard of being tied with pertemps before. They organised my training through GTG, very good outfit. Hope you have better luck on your next attempt.
Wardyward89
Posts: 5
Joined: 27 Jun 2017, 19:57
Gender: Male

HGV driver career path

Post by Wardyward89 »

I have recently passed my Cat C and funded two attempts
And was no clause as to which training provider I used .
abzyyy
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 18
Joined: 29 Jul 2011, 01:16
Gender: Male

HGV driver career path

Post by abzyyy »

Which office are you based at?

Why are you being held ransom to use Pertemps (if you are being told to use 2 schools who are in contact with Pertemps - just use someone else?)

Which VOC do you hope to go to?