ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Old Vans

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Nigel1505
Posts: 409
Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
Gender: Male

Old Vans

Post by Nigel1505 »

We read in the Courier about new electric vans and I see newer vans around the country on my travels. At our DO we have two or three that are nearly ten years old and are falling apart. Isn't there a policy that these are replaced when they get to a certain age. :cuppa
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Old Vans

Post by k979aaa »

Nigel1505 wrote:We read in the Courier about new electric vans and I see newer vans around the country on my travels. At our DO we have two or three that are nearly ten years old and are falling apart. Isn't there a policy that these are replaced when they get to a certain age. :cuppa
No they hope you will die at the wheel even if it was not your fault our the van's crash protection in these things is laughable unless you are in it by the way royalmail do life insurance took out of your pay don't no ware you stand if you die before your last and only payment though!
glenfiddich
Posts: 1012
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15

Old Vans

Post by glenfiddich »

Yes the high performing offices get new vans while underperforming offices receive their old cast offs it's an incentive for you all to do better :cuppa
deltaforce
Posts: 778
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
Gender: Male

Old Vans

Post by deltaforce »

Ive got a ten year old van and I prefer to the newer models, it doesn't keep talking to you about handbrake reminders every 5 mins. There is no filter clogging to worry about and the one I drive is in better Nick than most of the newer models
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Old Vans

Post by redneck »

The old Vauxhall Combos are the most hateful vehicles ever to have been invented. You need a hoist to get you up and outside from the drivers seat, the screen is massive with a tiny (in comparison) sunshield to avoid being completely blinded, the back door hinges always bend meaning it acts like a twa**ing machine when positioned at the back in a reasonable wind, and the front doors blow off in a storm. Crap. Mind you, if you fancy not using the clutch if you're a bit tired you can change gear smoothlyn without it, the box is that worn.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Old Vans

Post by rubberbond »

redneck wrote:The old Vauxhall Combos are the most hateful vehicles ever to have been invented. You need a hoist to get you up and outside from the drivers seat, the screen is massive with a tiny (in comparison) sunshield to avoid being completely blinded, the back door hinges always bend meaning it acts like a twa**ing machine when positioned at the back in a reasonable wind, and the front doors blow off in a storm. Crap. Mind you, if you fancy not using the clutch if you're a bit tired you can change gear smoothlyn without it, the box is that worn.
And if you're a certain height you always catch your head on the lugs that poke out from the top of back doors, leaving you with a nasty injury. As for the Peugeot thing, you can't push the seat back far enough to get comfortable ,it's even worse when you're wearing a storm coat.
Nigel1505
Posts: 409
Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
Gender: Male

Old Vans

Post by Nigel1505 »

Here Here to the last two posts. It is the crap Combo's that I was referring to. :cuppa
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Old Vans

Post by Celgar »

My old van is a Peugeot Bipper. It seems to spend more time in the garage than out. It uses a lot of oil, sometimes stinks of diesal, and the gears freeze up when it gets really cold but I'd rather stay with the Bipper than get one of the new ones. Had to use one of the Fiat vans over Xmas while my Bipper was 'on holiday' in the garage yet again. I think the Fiat does, or needs to go through, one of those engine cleaning cycles periodically. Quite a few times while on delivery it seemed to do it itself and was pumping a horrendous amount of death-dealing blue smoke out of the exhaust. Probably the worst van to have though is the one with the tracker thingy that let's RM know you have picked your nose.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Old Vans

Post by k979aaa »

Celgar wrote:My old van is a Peugeot Bipper. It seems to spend more time in the garage than out. It uses a lot of oil, sometimes stinks of diesal, and the gears freeze up when it gets really cold but I'd rather stay with the Bipper than get one of the new ones. Had to use one of the Fiat vans over Xmas while my Bipper was 'on holiday' in the garage yet again. I think the Fiat does, or needs to go through, one of those engine cleaning cycles periodically. Quite a few times while on delivery it seemed to do it itself and was pumping a horrendous amount of death-dealing blue smoke out of the exhaust. Probably the worst van to have though is the one with the tracker thingy that let's RM know you have picked your nose.
I use it as a badge of honour how quick I can get it on the red and bleep every gear change that's how you drive a royalmail van!
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Old Vans

Post by rubberbond »

k979aaa wrote:
Celgar wrote:My old van is a Peugeot Bipper. It seems to spend more time in the garage than out. It uses a lot of oil, sometimes stinks of diesal, and the gears freeze up when it gets really cold but I'd rather stay with the Bipper than get one of the new ones. Had to use one of the Fiat vans over Xmas while my Bipper was 'on holiday' in the garage yet again. I think the Fiat does, or needs to go through, one of those engine cleaning cycles periodically. Quite a few times while on delivery it seemed to do it itself and was pumping a horrendous amount of death-dealing blue smoke out of the exhaust. Probably the worst van to have though is the one with the tracker thingy that let's RM know you have picked your nose.
I use it as a badge of honour how quick I can get it on the red and bleep every gear change that's how you drive a royalmail van!
The fastest van in the world!
scoobymunster
Posts: 346
Joined: 30 Mar 2011, 00:39
Gender: Male

Old Vans

Post by scoobymunster »

k979aaa wrote: I use it as a badge of honour how quick I can get it on the red and bleep every gear change that's how you drive a royalmail van!
We were told vans with trimble would be continually rotated through the office to ensure everyone is driving efficiently. Those who drive like mrs daisy are now stuck with them, the bosses were getting too much grief from up above about our office rally drivers. :funneh
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Old Vans

Post by Seymour Buts »

The Fiats are the worst, heaps of s**t. I've never driven one without the engine management light on. The ones in our office do about 30 miles an hour flat out.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Old Vans

Post by Celgar »

I always thought the acceleration on my Peugeot Bipper was bad until I had to endure that Fiat van for a couple of weeks. One day trying to get it up a hill the car behind me was honking his horn but I couldn't make it go any faster.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Old Vans

Post by CPTNemoUK »

Celgar wrote:I always thought the acceleration on my Peugeot Bipper was bad until I had to endure that Fiat van for a couple of weeks. One day trying to get it up a hill the car behind me was honking his horn but I couldn't make it go any faster.
We got one in our office. It Is awful. That bad someone crashed it and ripped the back wheel off. Everyone was hoping it was a right off but no it came back to haunt us :arrrghhh
Your late today
Posts: 57
Joined: 09 Oct 2017, 13:37
Gender: Male

Old Vans

Post by Your late today »

There was a time Royal Mail fleet was far better than the white van man who drove around in rust buckets now it’s Royal Mail who are the ones with an ageing fleet, it must cost them a lot more in maintaining them as they are out of warranty so have to pay for all parts and the resell value is just scrap value.