ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

PAY

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
honda333
Posts: 10
Joined: 06 Dec 2017, 06:39
Gender: Female

PAY

Post by honda333 »

Hello everyone
I'm starting with Royal Mail in few weeks time....Just wandering how much I will be paid for 25 h? Is overtime possible? If yes how to book it?
Thanks in advance
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

PAY

Post by crimson king »

Hi,
My basic pay for 25 hours is £237.87.
Overtime is more than a possibility, more an inevitability! If you're DO is anything like mine, you won't have to ask for it, it kind of finds you. In fact, the reverse is true, I end up asking not to do overtime if I want to finish on time.
Couple of bits of advice I've learned from here...don't work for free! The posties you're working with will show you how to log your OT, but if your DOM doesn't like paying it try not to feel pressured into going over your time for free. It can be intimidating saying no and standing up for yourself the first few times, but I've found they tend to leave you alone once they realise you will.
Also, you'll get more overtime once you've done your driving assessment and drive their vans, so keep giving friendly reminders after a few weeks.

Have fun, and hope it all works out for you. It really is a nice job once you're out on your own in the fresh air. :thumbup
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
honda333
Posts: 10
Joined: 06 Dec 2017, 06:39
Gender: Female

PAY

Post by honda333 »

Thanks
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

PAY

Post by doorstepped »

crimson king wrote:Hi,
My basic pay for 25 hours is £237.87.
Overtime is more than a possibility, more an inevitability! If you're DO is anything like mine, you won't have to ask for it, it kind of finds you. In fact, the reverse is true, I end up asking not to do overtime if I want to finish on time.
Couple of bits of advice I've learned from here...don't work for free! The posties you're working with will show you how to log your OT, but if your DOM doesn't like paying it try not to feel pressured into going over your time for free. It can be intimidating saying no and standing up for yourself the first few times, but I've found they tend to leave you alone once they realise you will.
Also, you'll get more overtime once you've done your driving assessment and drive their vans, so keep giving friendly reminders after a few weeks.

Have fun, and hope it all works out for you. It really is a nice job once you're out on your own in the fresh air. :thumbup
DON'T drive a van without having your driver training, you will open a massive can of worms if you do and have an accident. ( more so for your DOM and above if it's an accident with injuries / death )

learn to grow a pair of balls ( hopefully someone in your DO will stand up for you ) or you will be walked all over by your DOM.
Tomolo208
Posts: 102
Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
Gender: Male

PAY

Post by Tomolo208 »

You get a 50p pay rise (per hour) at 6 months and then again at 12 months. I didn't know about this until a few weeks after I started
honda333
Posts: 10
Joined: 06 Dec 2017, 06:39
Gender: Female

PAY

Post by honda333 »

Thank you very much
kingeric
Posts: 133
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 13:45
Gender: Male

PAY

Post by kingeric »

Take this site for some hints and tips but also take much of it with a pinch of salt.

The job isn't as bad as some would have you believe on here and there are good offices and bad offices. If you get a good office you can normally sort out any problems with colleagues, union reps and managers quite easily.

Sometimes you will read someone asking for advice on here and the immediate advice from one or two is "put a grievance in". It's rare it will get to that if things are approached the right way.

I've seen people come into my office with the grievance attitude and they haven't lasted long in the job.