ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
My first couple of weeks
-
Islander
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 25 Dec 2017, 10:02
- Gender: Male
My first couple of weeks
So just some things that are different to what you are told at the welcome day, at the office I am working at.
No workplace trainer, I was given to somebody to show the ropes.
No identification badge yet will not get for a few weeks but told in paperwork before starting that I would have this 24 hours after starting.
The training paperwork I was given on the welcome day ... they had never seen before, even the manual handling paper work so nothing has been signed off
I still do not know what my actual start times are, I am part time 25.5 hours per week and I have asked.
We have our break at the end of the shift, so every one leaves early is this normal ?
Why is everthing such a rush ? Im not unfit at all but some days ....
Is this normal for most offices ?
I know I started at the worst time of year and maybe this is the reason but everywhaere I have worked before you get real training.
No workplace trainer, I was given to somebody to show the ropes.
No identification badge yet will not get for a few weeks but told in paperwork before starting that I would have this 24 hours after starting.
The training paperwork I was given on the welcome day ... they had never seen before, even the manual handling paper work so nothing has been signed off
I still do not know what my actual start times are, I am part time 25.5 hours per week and I have asked.
We have our break at the end of the shift, so every one leaves early is this normal ?
Why is everthing such a rush ? Im not unfit at all but some days ....
Is this normal for most offices ?
I know I started at the worst time of year and maybe this is the reason but everywhaere I have worked before you get real training.
-
Glp28357
- Posts: 85
- Joined: 16 May 2017, 22:27
- Gender: Male
My first couple of weeks
I've been a posty for 8 months now - had no training whatsoever and still not got an ID card! Disorganised and shambolic seems to sum it up.
-
Cwtchy bear
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 17 Dec 2017, 21:06
- Gender: Male
My first couple of weeks
This is the worst company i have ever known for being in the dark about things. And where you can't trust the management to tell you straight honest things. I've been a postie for 18 months and still count myself as wet behind ears as still learning things as i go. I would suggest going in about an hour earlier than contract time to help with sorting and tieing up as it'll help get to know things, not just about yr round but other stuff when it comes up with fellow posties discussing things. Also it's extra money and will get you out of office quicker. Everyone rushes cos we all wanna finish as soon as poss lol I wouldn't worry about getting things signed off as it's bollocks anyway. Make sure to ask questions if you have any with whoever you go out withIslander wrote:So just some things that are different to what you are told at the welcome day, at the office I am working at.
No workplace trainer, I was given to somebody to show the ropes.
No identification badge yet will not get for a few weeks but told in paperwork before starting that I would have this 24 hours after starting.
The training paperwork I was given on the welcome day ... they had never seen before, even the manual handling paper work so nothing has been signed off
I still do not know what my actual start times are, I am part time 25.5 hours per week and I have asked.
We have our break at the end of the shift, so every one leaves early is this normal ?
Why is everthing such a rush ? Im not unfit at all but some days ....
Is this normal for most offices ?
I know I started at the worst time of year and maybe this is the reason but everywhaere I have worked before you get real training.
-
GT750rider
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 216
- Joined: 25 Nov 2011, 16:57
- Gender: Male
My first couple of weeks
" Everyone rushes cos we all wanna finish as soon as poss " Is this not the underlying problem ?
-
Cwtchy bear
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 17 Dec 2017, 21:06
- Gender: Male
My first couple of weeks
Yes. But is it down to trying to finish early or simply to get the round done in the expected timeframe?GT750rider wrote:" Everyone rushes cos we all wanna finish as soon as poss " Is this not the underlying problem ?
-
fb1969
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1693
- Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: hiding on the backstreets
My first couple of weeks
I've been in 5 years now and that is pretty much what I experienced when I joined. I did have a workplace coach for my first three days, but he didn't know the round I was put on so was only of limited help! A few months later another newbie joined and it was left to me to show him the job.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
-
stoneybroke
- Posts: 80
- Joined: 01 Oct 2015, 19:47
- Gender: Male
My first couple of weeks
Not sure if cwtchy bear is joking, but the last thing you should do is go into work an hour earlier than your contracted time. (unless of course you are offered overtime to do so by the manager).
Otherwise that's probably the worst advise you will ever get.
Otherwise that's probably the worst advise you will ever get.
-
enskied
- Posts: 1877
- Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
- Gender: Male
My first couple of weeks
How you are told we work and how we actually work are two different things.
What you are told by Managers and reality are two different things.
I used to love this job, not because it was easy, it has never been easy in our office since I started. I began when the Celebrity power managers took over ....And then left with their big pay awards.
It will get easier as carry on and find out the truth about your contract.
That is you have a start time and a finish time and a break somewhere in the duty.
If you do anything more it is your choice not your Managers and you should be paid in full for what you do.... That's the trick.
What you are told by Managers and reality are two different things.
I used to love this job, not because it was easy, it has never been easy in our office since I started. I began when the Celebrity power managers took over ....And then left with their big pay awards.
It will get easier as carry on and find out the truth about your contract.
That is you have a start time and a finish time and a break somewhere in the duty.
If you do anything more it is your choice not your Managers and you should be paid in full for what you do.... That's the trick.
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
My first couple of weeks
I think the mere fact that they were expecting you and you turned up on day 2 , shoukd have exceeded expectations on both sides. In our office you'd be considered a grizzled veteran at a couple of weeks in and probably be near the top in seniority as well.
-
Islander
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 25 Dec 2017, 10:02
- Gender: Male
My first couple of weeks
Thanks for all the replys , its seems this is sort of standard practice. I did come in early a couple of days last week and was left to do the frame myself which took far to long I thought, as I was there by myself after everyone had gone then didnt finish till after four.
Been coming in at 9 this week and it is beeter as my frame is ready for me.
Been coming in at 9 this week and it is beeter as my frame is ready for me.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
My first couple of weeks
You will learn after a fairly short while that the majority of RMs rules go out the window as far as delivery is concerned. I won't name the rules to save incriminating myself. In short there isn't time within our paid hours to get the job done as they would like it to be done. So as long as the customer receives the mail and is happy its alright.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
My first couple of weeks
Problem is when the packet in the blue bin is not there anymore by the complainant 60% likely theft 20% or the bin's was took out by neighbour with said packet in it 20% as the complainant could not be arsed to look though their post for the card that day. Just bring it back to the office I don't have the time to knock on doors all day so these lazy people should spend a productive weekend in a line outside a mail centre for their persistence!Celgar wrote:You will learn after a fairly short while that the majority of RMs rules go out the window as far as delivery is concerned. I won't name the rules to save incriminating myself. In short there isn't time within our paid hours to get the job done as they would like it to be done. So as long as the customer receives the mail and is happy its alright.
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
My first couple of weeks
You are at the start of a very long bedding in period to start with, this company and management we work for are really awful, but the job itself is great. Go with the flow, do as you are told until you are settled in more and understand the ways of the office, then start to make the job work for you as much as you can. The number one rule in these times is make sure you get paid for what you have worked to the minute otherwise you are helping managers get bigger bonuses for cheating the workforce.
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
My first couple of weeks
This ^^^^k979aaa wrote:Problem is when the packet in the blue bin is not there anymore by the complainant 60% likely theft 20% or the bin's was took out by neighbour with said packet in it 20% as the complainant could not be arsed to look though their post for the card that day. Just bring it back to the office I don't have the time to knock on doors all day so these lazy people should spend a productive weekend in a line outside a mail centre for their persistence!Celgar wrote:You will learn after a fairly short while that the majority of RMs rules go out the window as far as delivery is concerned. I won't name the rules to save incriminating myself. In short there isn't time within our paid hours to get the job done as they would like it to be done. So as long as the customer receives the mail and is happy its alright.
All day long, well said.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
My first couple of weeks
You naughty boy! Bit its true what you sayCelgar wrote:You will learn after a fairly short while that the majority of RMs rules go out the window as far as delivery is concerned. I won't name the rules to save incriminating myself. In short there isn't time within our paid hours to get the job done as they would like it to be done. So as long as the customer receives the mail and is happy its alright.