ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Dating a colleague

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Noddy123
Posts: 5
Joined: 01 Oct 2016, 17:23
Gender: Female

Dating a colleague

Post by Noddy123 »

I've worked for Royal Mail as a postie for 16 months, and since the beginning of December I've been romantically involved with a fellow postie. We've kept it quiet around the office this far although I'm not sure how much longer it will stay that way as it's getting rather serious now.

My question is do you think that the DOM has a right to know? Neither of us are in a position of authority over the other, we don't directly work together - nor are we likely to, we don't conduct any physical side of the relationship at work, nor do we plan to, and touch wood we won't fall out but if we do, I would say we're both mature enough to not bring disagreements into the office.

When it becomes common knowledge that we're together, I do expect a day or two of ribbing from certain staff members but that hopefully it'll soon die down and become yesterday's news then we'll be able to continue with the relationship minus any comments.

I think my fella expects that once the gossip starts, the DOM will call us into her office for a chat - so maybe we should fess up before then?

Your advice would be appreciated!
Last edited by Noddy123 on 03 Jan 2018, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Dating a colleague

Post by fishtank »

It's nobody's business but yours.
Should I buy a hat?
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Dating a colleague

Post by number one »

Once people find out there may well be a bit of light banter but they will get bored.
It’s nobody else’s business. The manager has no say. I know many couples including Husband and wife who work in the same delivery office and also work together. Even some managers date staff. It really is no issue. Stop worrying as you have nothing to worry about. The one thing I will say and I hope it doesn’t come to this is if things don’t work out then you have to both be mature about it and carry on as normal. Some people can’t deal with seeing their ex everyday and it can cause problems.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Dating a colleague

Post by Postie45 »

hang and flog the both of you i say :Very Happy
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Dating a colleague

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

number one wrote:Once people find out there may well be a bit of light banter but they will get bored.
It’s nobody else’s business. The manager has no say. I know many couples including Husband and wife who work in the same delivery office and also work together. Even some managers date staff. It really is no issue. Stop worrying as you have nothing to worry about. The one thing I will say and I hope it doesn’t come to this is if things don’t work out then you have to both be mature about it and carry on as normal. Some people can’t deal with seeing their ex everyday and it can cause problems.
Spot on Number one - except for the "Even some managers date staff. It really is no issue." According to the Code of Business Conduct, Managers aren't allowed to have relationships with anyone under their control.

But as you say 2 posties, even if they were in the same pairing on a CDV it is of no concern of the business or anyone else as long as they behave in an appropriate manner at all times whilst on duty.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
phillpk1
Posts: 12
Joined: 13 Nov 2013, 01:27
Gender: Male

Dating a colleague

Post by phillpk1 »

i dated and married my Manager when we worked together

The only time manager (DOM) needs to know IS IF THEY ARE YOUR IMMEDIATE LINE MANAGER other wise they have no need to know.All i can say is when/if you tell them just make sure its solid cos there will be a lot of banter( and 11 years on i still get it )
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Dating a colleague

Post by NWpostie »

It's not the Army, you don't have to report your relationship to the manager as it's your business and you're not in a senior position over the other, bugger what anyone else says.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
world class male
Posts: 903
Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
Gender: Male

Dating a colleague

Post by world class male »

don't think it really matters, couples fall out just like work colleagues do, though it may be awkward if they actually deliver together.
i've seen line managers go out with posties and get married, and seen splits, some still got on, some didn't,
reckon there's at least 3 "couples" as now in our d/o
centenaryman
Posts: 512
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
Gender: Male

Dating a colleague

Post by centenaryman »

lad at our place dated a postwoman also at our place,,,,they now live together and have a child....no probs what so ever and so there shouldn't be...
except they find it hard to get hols at the same time LOL

there was banter for a while...but its just that.
woody38
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 273
Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
Gender: Male

Dating a colleague

Post by woody38 »

Great you’ve found somebody to love u, but don’t become like the coupes at our place, they do e erything togetherr includiqng the walk, gang up against u so u keep away from them.
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Dating a colleague

Post by Mobey »

I've never mixed a relationship with my employment. I don't think I will honestly do it.

Each to their own and hope you two will be happy together.
frankieboy
Posts: 303
Joined: 12 May 2008, 18:34

Dating a colleague

Post by frankieboy »

Maya's been screwing me for the last 10 years and we're both very happy. :thumbup
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Dating a colleague

Post by Lincox »

frankieboy wrote:Maya's been screwing me for the last 10 years and we're both very happy. :thumbup
Great bit of covering your backside Frankie. I always get my a mixed up with my o.
How much of that huge pay packet are you charging her.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Dating a colleague

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Have you asked to share the same van yet ? :thumbup
Oh, no, that would probably be the end of the relationship. :arrrghhh :thumbdown
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Dating a colleague

Post by eastie »

I hope you give her an extended delivery in the back of the van :dance :whistle :whistle