ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Cutting off
-
Post12345
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 18 Sep 2017, 18:56
- Gender: Female
Cutting off
So I have been in post for almost 6 months. love it etc and have always been very upfront from day one and said I have kids so can't work past my finish time of 2.
Wasn't a problem I got put on a good duty most of the time. However sometimes I get put on a duty for a week that ALWAYS goes over. The guy on there is so disorganised it's a joke. I'm only 25 hours so I don't prep etc. Then when it gets to one most days and i remind him I'm going soon whether we finish or not he has a melt down at me.
He is convinced that we should work over for free as we finish early in the summer and that he has to finish my walk if i don't. I have expressed that both these points are wrong but he is so indoctrinated he tells me my contract says I have to be flexible or they will sack me.
Who is right? The managers never seemed to mind and just keep me normally where I can finish with no dramas.
What should I do? I feel so bad on the guy he looks like he's going to have a nervous break down when I rock up in the mornings.
I am flexible with my days off etc but I'm very stubborn on that I won't go over my time even on a Saturday.
Who is right? Our office is very much in the job and finish mentality x
Wasn't a problem I got put on a good duty most of the time. However sometimes I get put on a duty for a week that ALWAYS goes over. The guy on there is so disorganised it's a joke. I'm only 25 hours so I don't prep etc. Then when it gets to one most days and i remind him I'm going soon whether we finish or not he has a melt down at me.
He is convinced that we should work over for free as we finish early in the summer and that he has to finish my walk if i don't. I have expressed that both these points are wrong but he is so indoctrinated he tells me my contract says I have to be flexible or they will sack me.
Who is right? The managers never seemed to mind and just keep me normally where I can finish with no dramas.
What should I do? I feel so bad on the guy he looks like he's going to have a nervous break down when I rock up in the mornings.
I am flexible with my days off etc but I'm very stubborn on that I won't go over my time even on a Saturday.
Who is right? Our office is very much in the job and finish mentality x
-
glenfiddich
- Posts: 1012
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15
Cutting off
Its not his place to have a go at you he chooses to finish the full delivery he has the same option as you to finish at his finish time maybe you could have a word with your union rep or workplace coach or even have a quiet word with your line manager as it is bullying there's a helpline number also that you can ring 0800 5874777
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Cutting off
Guy sounds mad, if he wants to finish that's up to him but to do it for free? That's insane haha. Just make sure he and the managers are aware before you leave, it's always best to leave the work than bring it back.
You should never feel guility about not doing overtime if you don't want to.
You should never feel guility about not doing overtime if you don't want to.
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Cutting off
O/T isn't compulsory

-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Cutting off
If you work over your time and have an accident you are not insured as you are not working you are volunteering for that is what working for free is.
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Cutting off
k979aaa wrote:If you work over your time and have an accident you are not insured as you are not working you are volunteering for that is what working for free is.
What’s with this “not insured” nonsense. Stop making things up!!
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Cutting off
Was threatened with this as I had an accident at the end of a shift once in the workplace so don't come that with me you are employed from x time to x time anything other is voluntary so get your facts right! If you are going to go over inform managers beforehand or at any point whilst on delivery but don't try and justify working for free!number one wrote:k979aaa wrote:If you work over your time and have an accident you are not insured as you are not working you are volunteering for that is what working for free is.
What’s with this “not insured” nonsense. Stop making things up!!
-
Nigel1505
- Posts: 409
- Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
- Gender: Male
Cutting off
Just as an aside to this we have been double absorbing this week, well the runners have, I had enough on my own walk to justify my hours. We have just been through Xmas pressure then they want more blood; no wonder most of our office are knackered. 
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Cutting off
The other Postie is not obliged to deliver the rest of your walk if you cut off. It is the DOMs responsibility to get the walk delivered if you cannot complete it in your work hours.
As for covering for the perceived drop in mail volumes during what RM deems to be the summertime there isn't that much of a drop in mail volume nowadays. In our office we lost two walks completely last year and the double absorption is already added to the walks for the whole year including the Christmas period. So we have plenty and really too much delivery to do all year and are in a right mess at Christmastime.
In short you are in the right. Just do your job to the best of your ability and if you are going to run over time make sure you tell your DOM before you tie up and leave the office for delivery. Just ask the DOM what they want you to do/deliver. It is their responsibility, and not your shared driver, to decide what to deliver and when. Sounds like he/she is getting stressed out and not really bullying you. Not surprising at all for a RM employee.
As for covering for the perceived drop in mail volumes during what RM deems to be the summertime there isn't that much of a drop in mail volume nowadays. In our office we lost two walks completely last year and the double absorption is already added to the walks for the whole year including the Christmas period. So we have plenty and really too much delivery to do all year and are in a right mess at Christmastime.
In short you are in the right. Just do your job to the best of your ability and if you are going to run over time make sure you tell your DOM before you tie up and leave the office for delivery. Just ask the DOM what they want you to do/deliver. It is their responsibility, and not your shared driver, to decide what to deliver and when. Sounds like he/she is getting stressed out and not really bullying you. Not surprising at all for a RM employee.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Cutting off
Whoever told you this is also wrong and probably just made it up!! Please tell me you’re not that gullible. If you are in Work performing a duty on overtime or not then you are insured!!k979aaa wrote:Was threatened with this as I had an accident at the end of a shift once in the workplace so don't come that with me you are employed from x time to x time anything other is voluntary so get your facts right! If you are going to go over inform managers beforehand or at any point whilst on delivery but don't try and justify working for free!number one wrote:k979aaa wrote:If you work over your time and have an accident you are not insured as you are not working you are volunteering for that is what working for free is.
What’s with this “not insured” nonsense. Stop making things up!!
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Cutting off
Not gullible but if you are not paid you are not working are you not? how in this day and age can anyone justify working for free those who come in an hour or two are they insured too regardless weather they are preforming a duty or not? So in essence I am not having a go at those who work over their hour's and to work over your hour's and be paid you must tell your manager One if you will work over and Two you cannot work over the choice is your's!number one wrote:Whoever told you this is also wrong and probably just made it up!! Please tell me you’re not that gullible. If you are in Work performing a duty on overtime or not then you are insured!!k979aaa wrote:Was threatened with this as I had an accident at the end of a shift once in the workplace so don't come that with me you are employed from x time to x time anything other is voluntary so get your facts right! If you are going to go over inform managers beforehand or at any point whilst on delivery but don't try and justify working for free!number one wrote:k979aaa wrote:If you work over your time and have an accident you are not insured as you are not working you are volunteering for that is what working for free is.
What’s with this “not insured” nonsense. Stop making things up!!
-
TheTrolleyMan
- Posts: 776
- Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
- Gender: Male
Cutting off
It's not " cutting off " it's working paid contracted hours !
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Cutting off
The correct procedure to follow is here at the bottom:
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... =1&t=83457" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... =1&t=83457" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
DGH
- Posts: 710
- Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
- Gender: Male
- Location: Neither here nor there
Cutting off
No, it isn't. People crying 'bullying' in cases like this is deeply unhelpful and trivialise actual bullying which is systematic, unrelenting and malignant. It's clearly someone unnecessarily stressing/panicking and saying things to a colleague that are untrue because of that, even if such things may cause said colleague anxiety, are not bullying. The situation needs addressing but in a sensible way.glenfiddich wrote:. . . as it is bullying . . .
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Cutting off
I agree but is it piss poor not to ask who you work with do they want to work overtime paid or worse unpaid but to then threaten them is very poor if not borderline behaviour of someone I never did it nor would I ever consider doing it.DGH wrote:No, it isn't. People crying 'bullying' in cases like this is deeply unhelpful and trivialise actual bullying which is systematic, unrelenting and malignant. It's clearly someone unnecessarily stressing/panicking and saying things to a colleague that are untrue because of that, even if such things may cause said colleague anxiety, are not bullying. The situation needs addressing but in a sensible way.glenfiddich wrote:. . . as it is bullying . . .