ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
ploppy
Posts: 39
Joined: 11 May 2013, 18:11
Gender: Male

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by ploppy »

Asking if there are many other people out there with shoulder and arm problems caused by using the LWT?
Of the 5 LWT duties in our office 4 of us are experiencing these problems.I had an operation last year for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and that did alleviate it for about 9 months.But now it has returned worse than ever and at nights I am constantly woken with shoulder and arm cramps.I would like to know is this common among regular users?
glenfiddich
Posts: 1012
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by glenfiddich »

Do you mean the hct trollies the big ones with the lids or the small lwt ones that you hang 2 bags off
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by worktotime »

no , ive used lwt for about 7 years now and ive not had any issues when pushing it , but pulling it did give me problems.
ploppy
Posts: 39
Joined: 11 May 2013, 18:11
Gender: Male

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by ploppy »

Strange because I never had any problems with my shoulder/arm until switching from driving to walking with one of those.
We have been told that pulling is the correct method.We must be doing something wrong for it to be affecting 4 out of 5 of us.
By the time I have walked 15 miles with it pulling it up kerbs and round various obstacles my shoulder is killing me.
flimflamman
Posts: 90
Joined: 09 Aug 2009, 07:01
Gender: Female

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by flimflamman »

i have similar arm/shoulder problems since i started using the LWT,but only with the arm that i carry the bundle of mail with,must be the odd angle you have to hold your arm so as not to drop any mail,seem to remember that at the introduction of P&L and the use of trolleys that the union were looking into the possible future possible effects of physical/skeletal damage due to this new way of working as a matter of urgency.........as per usual nothing done
ploppy
Posts: 39
Joined: 11 May 2013, 18:11
Gender: Male

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by ploppy »

We don't do the park and loop thing.We get dropped off at the start of our duties and then hopefully there is someone to pick you up at the end.Otherwise it's an extra mile walk back to the office.
barrychuckle
Posts: 144
Joined: 16 Jan 2008, 17:40

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by barrychuckle »

ploppy wrote:We don't do the park and loop thing.We get dropped off at the start of our duties and then hopefully there is someone to pick you up at the end.Otherwise it's an extra mile walk back to the office.
So your delivery is two bags in total on a lightweight trolley. I want a transfer.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by Interested-seeker »

I wonder what is the right thing to do: push or pull the LWTs?

I always push them now, because if you pull them then the mail might drop out without you noticing.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Interested-seeker wrote:I wonder what is the right thing to do: push or pull the LWTs.
ploppy wrote:We have been told that pulling is the correct method.We must be doing something wrong for it to be affecting 4 out of 5 of us.
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 15&t=46762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the preferred method of use is to pull the LWT it has now been jointly evaluated that it is safe and permissible to push the LWT in certain circumstances.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
bensonhedge
Posts: 448
Joined: 15 Mar 2010, 20:14
Gender: Male

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by bensonhedge »

I sustained mental torture when it dawned on me my 30 minute loops where going to take me longer and my fellow colleagues where all going home on a flyer and was forced to retire my trolley to a life round the back of the bike shed.
ploppy
Posts: 39
Joined: 11 May 2013, 18:11
Gender: Male

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by ploppy »

barrychuckle wrote:
ploppy wrote:We don't do the park and loop thing.We get dropped off at the start of our duties and then hopefully there is someone to pick you up at the end.Otherwise it's an extra mile walk back to the office.
So your delivery is two bags in total on a lightweight trolley. I want a transfer.
If only that were the case.We have bag boxes along the route to replen. I assumed that is what happened everywhere.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by worktotime »

Interested-seeker wrote:I wonder what is the right thing to do: push or pull the LWTs?

I always push them now, because if you pull them then the mail might drop out without you noticing.
and covering the wheels in dog shite as well ,
gunho
Posts: 59
Joined: 08 Jan 2010, 20:15
Gender: Male

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by gunho »

Weigh them in for scrap. Use bags with small loops. Nobody in our office does it the way planners intended
Hammer59
Posts: 33
Joined: 24 Mar 2011, 19:50
Gender: Male

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by Hammer59 »

I had problems with my shoulder when pulling them. My physio said it would be better pushing them. I have had an operation on my shoulder and since recovering from that I now only push them.
Hammer59
Posts: 33
Joined: 24 Mar 2011, 19:50
Gender: Male

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by Hammer59 »

I had problems with my shoulder when pulling them. My physio said it would be better pushing them. I have had an operation on my shoulder and since recovering from that I now only push them.