ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Performance review

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
wallin6228
Posts: 12
Joined: 23 Jan 2017, 14:39
Gender: Male

Performance review

Post by wallin6228 »

So yesterday I told my manager I cannot complete my whole walk and left some behind, then had to phone to say I will be bringing more back to which she said why as another postman (who has been on this round for 4+ years and I’m a reserve) completed by 3pm yesterday and that I’ve only done half a walk and now she’s going to look at the traffic figures and see if I was too slow? Is this likely to trigger a performance review ? Our DO is shocking people working till 5 or 6pm and management doesn’t seem to think that finishing at your time because you have SA until 7pm and want to get some food and rest is reasonable!
South_London_Postie
Posts: 306
Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
Gender: Male

Performance review

Post by South_London_Postie »

There is no performance standards for delivery. Screw your dom, do as much as you can in the time you are given.

make sure you take your breaks and get paid for any overtime you do. Use the over running procedure to cut off if you need to.

If the dom mentions it again, insist you want a union rep present before discussing it any further.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32798
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Performance review

Post by POSTMAN »

Get your rep/coach/senior colleagues involved!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Performance review

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

wallin6228 wrote:So yesterday I told my manager I cannot complete my whole walk and left some behind, then had to phone to say I will be bringing more back to which she said why as another postman (who has been on this round for 4+ years and I’m a reserve) completed by 3pm yesterday and that I’ve only done half a walk and now she’s going to look at the traffic figures and see if I was too slow? Is this likely to trigger a performance review ?

Our DO is shocking people working till 5 or 6pm and management doesn’t seem to think that finishing at your time because you have SA until 7pm and want to get some food and rest is reasonable!

No, the manager is trying to shame you into working over.

As Postman says get your rep involved and perhaps think about a grievance.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
postslippete
Posts: 4196
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Performance review

Post by postslippete »

What I would like to know is if and when the OP does this, what happens to the manager who is clearly bullying staff??

Do they get pulled up and their wrist slapped?
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Performance review

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Now it should be used to inform senior managers where their Junior managers are failing and what needs addressing to make the company more successful and more efficient and to weed out the poor managers who downgrade the effectiveness of a unit. That's what should happen in the real world.

What happens in Royal Mail is that senior managers see it as the manager that has lots of grievances is a troubleshooter who isn't afraid of confrontation and therefore they see them as someone to watch and promote. Its seen as a kind of badge of honour.

However, if we get more and more people putting in grievances against managers, even knowing initially they won't go any further, eventually, they will reach a critical mass and Moya and the Board will realise that something needs to done and the situation addressed.

Moya, until the vote, thought we were a happy bunch of posties with overall excellent managers working hard to get the core job done. Well if you disagree with that assessment and want her to know whats really happening we have to get her attention. One way is through the HYS but that has lost all credibility.

Therefore we really only have grievances left which is why I recommend them, I have used them myself effectively in the past and if you don't give up and keeping pushing till you get the result you are satisfied with they can be a good way to tackle injustice.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Performance review

Post by Brandy »

postslippete wrote:What I would like to know is if and when the OP does this, what happens to the manager who is clearly bullying staff??

Do they get pulled up and their wrist slapped?
You must be joking!!! I think they get a pat on the back from their managers!! If you try and put in a grievance against them it almost always gets brushed under the carpet!! I am so glad I am out of all this bullying and intimidation which causes such a bad atmosphere in some of the offices,I say some because I think some offices are worse than others.It all depends if you have a greedy DOM who just thinks of all the extra bonus he will get by bullying his staff into doing extra work without paying overtime!!!!!!!!!!
loverman shabba
Posts: 238
Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
Gender: Male

Performance review

Post by loverman shabba »

get out while you can. 14 years jobs becoming very depressing. poor management too many muppets working for free
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Performance review

Post by k979aaa »

Royalmail is full of w*****s 99.99% of whom don't ware a uniform and tell other's what to do that they cannot do or will not do I say fire them all after this shambles!
blisterfeet
Posts: 103
Joined: 13 Jun 2012, 18:48
Gender: Male

Performance review

Post by blisterfeet »

The traffic figures are for the entire office, so ask the manager what the traffic figures for YOUR walk was. When they say about the other postie completing at 3pm ask if that postie had parcels for the same houses you did, if they had other door knocks for the same houses you did? all this will make a difference to the time you finish.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Performance review

Post by Brandy »

blisterfeet wrote:The traffic figures are for the entire office, so ask the manager what the traffic figures for YOUR walk was. When they say about the other postie completing at 3pm ask if that postie had parcels for the same houses you did, if they had other door knocks for the same houses you did? all this will make a difference to the time you finish.
The trouble is you just cannot believe anything a manager says,they lie through their teeth whenever it suits them :no no
wallin6228
Posts: 12
Joined: 23 Jan 2017, 14:39
Gender: Male

Performance review

Post by wallin6228 »

Thanks will see what happens when I go in on Thursday. Will ask the rep to come with me is she try’s anything!
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Performance review

Post by Creditshampoo »

Traffic figures also don’t account for how many attendance calls you have. And also whether or not your all the Mail was available when you needed it