I would be interested reading comments from people who have covered different roles in the business and can compare. I think we all work very hard over this period but which job is the best one to be in over the festive time.
1. DOMs and line Managers
2. Processing and mailcenters
3. Transport and Drivers
4. Counter staff and locker duties
5. Van deliveries
6. Trolley deliveries.
What you think ?
Merry Christmas
Last edited by krussel on 21 Dec 2017, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
WOBBLY wrote:You missed out singleton van deliveries too!
Prob others too.......
Yeah thats true. Edited
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
I only do my job, so don't really feel qualified to comment on others. I expect most of us think ours is the hardest. Don't think you're going to be able to get much of an overview.
For what it's worth I'd give a vote for Wobbly's "Singleton Van Delivers".
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Its got to be Logistics driver. People don't understand how terrible it is having to get out of a warm cab and having to walk across a cold yard.
Don't even get me started on the fact not all of our trucks are fitted with Dab radios and heated seats.
A Hybrid duty you walk into a half prepped fitting and spend the next hour and a half prepping and bagging up.You fail miserably to find a pda as they have all gone out!! You deliver for 4 hrs trying to get specials done before 1pm then you cut off from your delivery so you start your collection without a meal break. The van you have is not fit for purpose as no boxes or POs have had a relief collection. You head back to unload usually an hour late welcome to Royal Mail 2017
I really feel sorry for the guy who brings the mail to our DO, for a start his truck is full of Yorks, after wheeling them out he's shattered and has to have a quick break/kip in his cab, following that he can all but limp inside for a swift sh1te then he's off to do it all again, Thankfully I'm ok I'm a postie on a shared van delivery !
ted_e_bear wrote:I really feel sorry for the guy who brings the mail to our DO, for a start his truck is full of Yorks, after wheeling them out he's shattered and has to have a quick break/kip in his cab, following that he can all but limp inside for a swift sh1te then he's off to do it all again, Thankfully I'm ok I'm a postie on a shared van delivery !
and do more work then him aswell ted
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
No doubt the RM bosses job is toughest......... deciding whether it is the Maldives for a month or a Caribbean cruise!!!! All these holiday brochures to browse through. How can I possibly choose
My vote
1 processing staff
2 HGV & 7.5,6.5 truck drivers
3 Callers Office staff
4 High capacity delivery people
Single van people
Shared van people
Managers Delivery
The reason why I have done this is because we moan about managers but let’s be honest who would want there job this time of year, with all the moaning and our managers at our office have got stress.
Everybody things callers job is easy it’s not, at an office near me they are still booking parcels in at 11.00 pm at night.
Callers office staff have it the bad, customers given you s**t day in day out, done it years ago rather be out on delivery or driving lorrys than do that any day.
My house mate drives HGV delivering to Bookers and Tesco. He said it's busier this time of the year but his workload remains the same as he can only drive a certain amount of hours a day.
He said the worse thing is sometimes having to sit around for 3-4hrs at distribution centres.
Hardest job I think is customer care,can you imagine the amount of people calling this time of the year asking where the card is they sent their Aunt Betty or complaining something's damaged or missing.