ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Deliver to Neighbours.... stopped

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Gold Fox
Posts: 313
Joined: 06 Jun 2014, 20:50
Gender: Female

Deliver to Neighbours.... stopped

Post by Gold Fox »

Just heard that one of delivery office in Oxford has stopped delivering to neighbours or safe place. Management arranged meeting on the floor and told all delivery staff that they must NOT deliver to neighbour or leave item at safe place. Is this happening nation wide or just one off decision by one of Oxford delivery management ???
Natagora
Posts: 37
Joined: 05 Oct 2011, 18:35
Gender: Male

Deliver to Neighbours.... stopped

Post by Natagora »

Definitely a one-off, we had a meeting last week where they actually encouraged us to leave stuff with a neighbour, saying it would massively reduce pressure on the caller’s office. Also, removing this option would mean thousands and thousands of parcels are failing to be delivered, which impacts on Royal Mail’s strike rate. No way they’d want that to be happening.
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Deliver to Neighbours.... stopped

Post by Mobey »

Perhaps some mail has been stolen or parcels taken, after someone left it in a "safe place" but it was actually door stepped.
Xr4
Posts: 107
Joined: 23 Apr 2016, 09:15
Gender: Male

Deliver to Neighbours.... stopped

Post by Xr4 »

A few months back we had a meeting about leaving stuff in a safe place, apparently people were waiting 2 weeks before complaining about not receiving stuff. We were told that the data from PDA'S were deleted by then, so it was against us.
Pharox
Posts: 151
Joined: 23 Jun 2011, 16:18
Gender: Male

Deliver to Neighbours.... stopped

Post by Pharox »

We were told last week, NOT to try neighbours and only leave in a safe place if it was NOT a verbal communication (customer: postie can you leave my parcel in the shed/number 24 if I'm out). It has to be a written note on the door or other official communication stating to leave it in the shed/neighbour and if we did, we had to take a photo of the note on the door and location of the left parcel. I believe it was due to lack of PDA's which pushed our tracked/2d barcode first time delivery attempts to the bottom of our area league. I'm up in Scotland.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Deliver to Neighbours.... stopped

Post by daveyeff »

we've been told via the office ''huddle'' that we are no longer to leave packets/parcels in peoples blue bin (recycling), even if they've requested it. too many 'denial of receipt' claims going in. so that's the end of that. :Very Happy
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Deliver to Neighbours.... stopped

Post by crimson king »

I just wish there was one rule for all of this, instead of so many grey areas with us posties in the middle of it all trying to keep everyone happy without adding to our existing workload.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Deliver to Neighbours.... stopped

Post by Creditshampoo »

We have been told to leave behind non tracked items full stop
awesomepenguin
Posts: 122
Joined: 14 Sep 2016, 20:14
Gender: Male

Deliver to Neighbours.... stopped

Post by awesomepenguin »

crimson king wrote:I just wish there was one rule for all of this, instead of so many grey areas with us posties in the middle of it all trying to keep everyone happy without adding to our existing workload.
That's Royal Mail in a nutshell.

One word sums it all up "unprofessional" :arrrghhh
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Deliver to Neighbours.... stopped

Post by Seymour Buts »

crimson king wrote:I just wish there was one rule for all of this, instead of so many grey areas with us posties in the middle of it all trying to keep everyone happy without adding to our existing workload.
It is amazing how different offices in the same company can have so many different policies. We've been told there isn't such a thing as a safe place, ignore any notes, comments on tracked ect ect. If it's unsecure it's not a safe place. We shouldn't even leave in porches according to the gaffers.
thedonkey
Posts: 141
Joined: 28 Nov 2016, 13:57
Gender: Male

Deliver to Neighbours.... stopped

Post by thedonkey »

Agree, there should be a standard across the board policy. Technically there is no safe place unless under lock and key. If I have access to place the item in so called safe place so does everybody else. A door to door with a tear off agreement to leave items at a designated place or neighbour which must be signed by property dweller and information then held in each walk log would help.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Deliver to Neighbours.... stopped

Post by Dorset Plodder »

As with most things on this Forum,and indeed in this Company, Every Delivery Office is Different . I remember some years ago Royal Mail was hit with millions of pounds worth of compensation claims for "Lost" parcels. We were told absolutely No Leaving of Parcels... Anywhere!

Next thing we were told was, "Get rid of Everything, make sure it's Delivered and not brought back"! FFS :crazy:

The one thing you can be assured of is: If anything goes wrong it's going to be your fault, with no support from Managers or Royal Mail. :thumbdown I use my own initiative as to when & where (or if) I leave parcels. I don't do anything stupid, like leaving a parcel in full view on a doorstep, but I will use my own common sense if I can safely leave a parcel in a garage for instance. :thumbup

I'm not against filling in 739s but I normally reserve those for those customers who I've already talked to about where to leave their parcels. The ones who blatantly ignore requests to leave their porches open, or leave a shed open, yet still insist on ordering parcels on a daily basis. They're the ones who have to come and collect them! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Deliver to Neighbours.... stopped

Post by crimson king »

Dorset Plodder wrote:As with most things on this Forum,and indeed in this Company, Every Delivery Office is Different . I remember some years ago Royal Mail was hit with millions of pounds worth of compensation claims for "Lost" parcels. We were told absolutely No Leaving of Parcels... Anywhere!

Next thing we were told was, "Get rid of Everything, make sure it's Delivered and not brought back"! FFS :crazy:

The one thing you can be assured of is: If anything goes wrong it's going to be your fault, with no support from Managers or Royal Mail. :thumbdown I use my own initiative as to when & where (or if) I leave parcels. I don't do anything stupid, like leaving a parcel in full view on a doorstep, but I will use my own common sense if I can safely leave a parcel in a garage for instance. :thumbup

I'm not against filling in 739s but I normally reserve those for those customers who I've already talked to about where to leave their parcels. The ones who blatantly ignore requests to leave their porches open, or leave a shed open, yet still insist on ordering parcels on a daily basis. They're the ones who have to come and collect them! :cuppa
Amen to that! :thumbup
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Deliver to Neighbours.... stopped

Post by CPTNemoUK »

I've got one customer who moans if I knock with a neighbours parcel. But expects me to deliver thiers to neighbours if there not in. They even complained that I don't try neighbours. So I told the dom why and he said f*** them bring them back :left:
Kings Norton
Posts: 320
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 17:20
Gender: Male

Deliver to Neighbours.... stopped

Post by Kings Norton »

So why did they print out millions of red cards " Leave with neighbour" ?