ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
MissKazzyB
Posts: 80
Joined: 22 Mar 2017, 21:50
Gender: Female

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by MissKazzyB »

Could someone please confirm 100% of what prep work should be done for a part timer

All thrown up - Redirections ?
All thrown up - Redirections - Packets marked ?
All thrown up - Redirections - Packets marked - Tied Up ?
All thrown up - Redirections - Tied Up
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by eastie »

MissKazzyB wrote:Could someone please confirm 100% of what prep work should be done for a part timer

All thrown up - Redirections ?
All thrown up - Redirections - Packets marked ?
All thrown up - Redirections - Packets marked - Tied Up ?
All thrown up - Redirections - Tied Up
In theory it should all be done to go out the door but it never happens.
DOM thinks you can do it all and if you do nothing it will happen daily.
As you have a set time of hours each day if you have to spend say 30 minutes getting it ready that is 30 minutes less delivery time, so if you get to your finish time and you haven't finished you can cut off ( ring DOM 1 hour before) or get O/T for finishing off. ( if DOM isn't or wont pay then don't go over )
DONT get it tied up and rush round to get it done in time , work your normal pace
Wornoutpostie
Posts: 100
Joined: 10 Dec 2016, 17:36
Gender: Male

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by Wornoutpostie »

eastie wrote:
MissKazzyB wrote:Could someone please confirm 100% of what prep work should be done for a part timer

All thrown up - Redirections ?
All thrown up - Redirections - Packets marked ?
All thrown up - Redirections - Packets marked - Tied Up ?
All thrown up - Redirections - Tied Up
In theory it should all be done to go out the door but it never happens.
DOM thinks you can do it all and if you do nothing it will happen daily.
As you have a set time of hours each day if you have to spend say 30 minutes getting it ready that is 30 minutes less delivery time, so if you get to your finish time and you haven't finished you can cut off ( ring DOM 1 hour before) or get O/T for finishing off. ( if DOM isn't or wont pay then don't go over )
DONT get it tied up and rush round to get it done in time , work your normal pace

Well said.....
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Easties already outlined the basic principle. When I was part time I was sent to a nearby DO and the DOM tried this type of thing. "Sorry we were short staffed, nobody's been available to throw your walk off". :no no

I was only contracted for 4 hours a day so I threw the duty off including parcels & re-directions then just before tying up I spoke to the Dom and explained, "It's taken me 15 minutes to get here.... it's going to take me 15 minutes to get back.... I've got to take 30 minutes Meal Relief..... It's taken me 90 minutes to prep this walk... which 90 minutes worth do you want me to Deliver"? :hmmmm

Needless to say he wasn't happy, but then he should have got the walk prepped. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

MissKazzyB wrote:Could someone please confirm 100% of what prep work should be done for a part timer

All thrown up - Redirections ?
All thrown up - Redirections - Packets marked ?
All thrown up - Redirections - Packets marked - Tied Up ?
All thrown up - Redirections - Tied Up
Unfortunately, there is no hard and fast rule that says such and such should be done for Part Timers.

However, common sense and a decent manager (rocking horses anyone) should have a rule of thumb

30-hour PTimers all sequenced thrown in and some Ifrom IPS.
25 Hour PTimers all sequenced and IPS with Packets marked. (Redirections and bagging by PT)
20 Hour Part-time everything done they just collect priors and PDA and get bags.

This is based on a P&L style delivery.

However, the problem managers have (and FTimer to be fair) is that more time spent on prepping a PTimers walk means less time for IPS, packet sorting and prepping their own duties. Thats why with the increasing amount of PTimers being taken on, the more friction is created between all 3 sets (PT/FT/Managers).
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
South_London_Postie
Posts: 306
Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
Gender: Male

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by South_London_Postie »

Hi Kazzy,

In theory considering the length of some of these walks, they should be fully prepped assuming you work 25 hours or less.

I have been following your other posts. Whilst bringing this point up may help your defence, don’t let the dom make you commit to finishing the walk if it is prepped.

The same basic principle still applies, you can only deliver as much as you can in the time given whilst following the rules and procedures safely. In my experience I’d say a good 85% of walks are unachievable for a part timer, without overtime, taking into account travel time, meal breaks and extra prepping etc.

Regardless of what the dom says there are no official delivery standards that they can measure your performance against.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by fishtank »

One of the biggest problems with having hard and fast rules is that it would only work if the traffic was constant. If you have model traffic and maybe 3 D2D then having full-time staff prepping part- time duties might work but if there's 3 trays of sequenced instead of the usual 2 and 6 D2D instead of 3 you can't expect the same number of full-time staff to prep the part-time shifts to the same state they normally would.

This means that some days unless extra resource has been provided a part-timer might come in to less in their frame than usual.What is important though is that there is an attempt at least to balance workload so that everyone is at the same state. This is incredibly difficult to manage though because some full-time staff start early so you have to be aware that some of the work you see in their frame may have been done in their own time.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by clashcityrocker »

fishtank wrote: This is incredibly difficult to manage .
And given that the average DOM has the intelligence of an amoeba, .......impossible to manage.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by clashcityrocker »

That was harsh.
I apologise to any amoeba reading this.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by Seymour Buts »

Problem is, everybody works in different ways. Many old school posties at our place don't mark their packets anyway, so they're not gonna mark 'em when prepping other walks. Some throw excess (or all) d2ds in and take where they're going; others throw a 6th of the fitting in and take 'em all. I've never been told the 'offcial' policy on either of those things, and you suspect Royal Mail don't care as long as packets are delivered and d2d's are done so things like that are difficult to judge.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by Celgar »

The official RM line on D2D prep is that you throw up a sixth each day and deliver all of them. The theory behind this is that 'live' mail could be left in the frame mixed in with the D2D and RM don't want that to happen.
Personally I throw all the D2D in to deliver on Monday and usually deliver about 95% of them as I usually end up delivering mail to most addresses every day. This does mean that the cover person for my walk will hardly ever have to deal with D2D on my walk but that's not my concern. I never agreed with this so called fairness policy where everyone gets paid for D2D even with some staff who have no contact at all with D2Ds.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by joewyan »

eastie wrote:
MissKazzyB wrote:Could someone please confirm 100% of what prep work should be done for a part timer

All thrown up - Redirections ?
All thrown up - Redirections - Packets marked ?
All thrown up - Redirections - Packets marked - Tied Up ?
All thrown up - Redirections - Tied Up
In theory it should all be done to go out the door but it never happens.
DOM thinks you can do it all and if you do nothing it will happen daily.
As you have a set time of hours each day if you have to spend say 30 minutes getting it ready that is 30 minutes less delivery time, so if you get to your finish time and you haven't finished you can cut off ( ring DOM 1 hour before) or get O/T for finishing off. ( if DOM isn't or wont pay then don't go over )
DONT get it tied up and rush round to get it done in time , work your normal pace

It completely depends on the hours of the PTer, some are on 6 hrs a day, some on 4.5 for example. A 6hr person may be expected to do some indoor work but again this depends on the office and duties and delivery span. If a delivery span is 3.5 hrs then a 6hr person would expect to have to do some inside work.

Kazzy, you need to find out your delivery span and go from there really.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by joewyan »

Equally, you are an employee of Royal Mail so when you go into work at your start time you do what they want you to do up until your finish time. If that means more indoor work and then less time on delivery. Just work your hours.
MissKazzyB
Posts: 80
Joined: 22 Mar 2017, 21:50
Gender: Female

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by MissKazzyB »

I’m on 25 hrs a week

9.30-2.30

I can’t go over my hrs as I have school run to do

I’ve just had my 6 month review yesterday & they’re trying to get me a 3 month extension as I’m not completing

Yesterday & today I’ve completed however I couldn’t take my meal relief or I wouldn’t b able to complete.
They’re happy to pay me for that half hour.

I feel now that I can’t have a break or I’ll fail on completion
St1983
Posts: 21
Joined: 19 Mar 2017, 21:12
Gender: Female

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by St1983 »

Hi,
I also started 6 months ago, 25 hour contract. My frame is normally all prepped for me amd I just tie up and go out. I always take my break. The walk I'm on at the moment I can generally complete but other walks I've been on it's not possible to do in my time, and I've just bought it back.