ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Do I need to tell arsehole managers that I'm finishing on time

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
jd9442
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

Do I need to tell arsehole managers that I'm finishing on time

Post by jd9442 »

Don't have a duty, was dropped off on a route by DOM, picked up, taken to another route by DOM.
Was never asked if I was doing overtime or anything about it.
Got to 30 mins before my finishing time and I rang my manager to say I needed picked up, he questioned it and I advised him I was finishing on time as I had plans. To put it lightly, he went nuts, telling me I need to get my personal life in order and to not let it affect work. I ended up finishing 40 mins over my time because he dawdled in picking me up, then drove to pick someone else up after getting me.
If I worked in the sorting office and my finishing time was 5pm, and I left the building at 5pm without telling anyone, I wouldn't be screamed at for letting my personal life affect my work...
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Do I need to tell arsehole managers that I'm finishing on time

Post by Creditshampoo »

That’s a joke.
Overtime is optional if he drops you somewhere and you are not willing to work past your time then he’s gotta pick you up to ensure you can finish on time.
Whack a grievance in tomorrow first thing he shouldn’t do it again
jd9442
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

Do I need to tell arsehole managers that I'm finishing on time

Post by jd9442 »

It was ok to tell him half an hour before I was finishing(the office is a 5 min drive away)?
Nobody had asked me about working over
telithowitis
Posts: 149
Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:19
Gender: Male

Do I need to tell arsehole managers that I'm finishing on time

Post by telithowitis »

I agree with creditshampoo the only way to keep these bullying managers of your back is to put in a formal grievance against them.
Like most bullies they only target people they perceive to be week, as soon as I put in my first grievance I got left alone and treated with respect, and no more bull@?!'
t3mcIUQWE2
Posts: 137
Joined: 24 Oct 2015, 17:04
Gender: Male

Do I need to tell arsehole managers that I'm finishing on time

Post by t3mcIUQWE2 »

jd9442 wrote:It was ok to tell him half an hour before I was finishing(the office is a 5 min drive away)?
Nobody had asked me about working over
As soon as he said it I would have walked back to the office.
Natagora
Posts: 37
Joined: 05 Oct 2011, 18:35
Gender: Male

Do I need to tell arsehole managers that I'm finishing on time

Post by Natagora »

Definitely better to let them know beforehand that you’re finishing on time, because it gives them chance to deal with the situation. Someone still has to deliver that mail, and the absolute worst case scenario (for them), is that they have to go out and deliver it themselves, late in the day. You’re absolutely entitled to work to your time though, so just stand your ground and tell them how it is, as soon as you start work. That gives them plenty of time to sort things out, which is what they’re paid to do, basically.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Do I need to tell arsehole managers that I'm finishing on time

Post by Celgar »

Your manager doesn't sound like a suitable candidate for a managerial post. If they cannot communicate calmly and rationally they have no place in that job.
It is best practice to let the manager know if you are going to run over time and don't want to book extended or need to be home on time for personal reasons. It is the managers responsibility in that case to find someone else to do the excess, do it themselves, or lapse that delivery. It sounds though like you are doing parts of different deliveries. So in that case how can you be expected to know how long it will take for you to deliver those parts as a whole.

Some elements of how our DO is run are bad but the above stuff in your DO is arguably worse.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Do I need to tell arsehole managers that I'm finishing on time

Post by Brandy »

telithowitis wrote:I agree with creditshampoo the only way to keep these bullying managers of your back is to put in a formal grievance against them.
Like most bullies they only target people they perceive to be week, as soon as I put in my first grievance I got left alone and treated with respect, and no more bull@?!'
I totally agree with you about putting a grievance in,but the trouble is these bullying managers seem to be untouchable and any grievances put in against them seem to be just brushed under the carpet,and they get away with it all. The posties are on a lose,lose situation all the time. :arrrghhh
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3221
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Do I need to tell arsehole managers that I'm finishing on time

Post by Acca Dacca »

I would have said 'I need to get my work time in order so it doesn't affect my personal life not the other way about and I am doing that right now'

cheeky sod
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
BarnsleyLackey
Posts: 349
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
Gender: Male

Do I need to tell arsehole managers that I'm finishing on time

Post by BarnsleyLackey »

The annoying thing is: if you do the job properly, you're going over. Meaning that anyone not interested in OT at all would be telling the manager daily.
South_London_Postie
Posts: 306
Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
Gender: Male

Do I need to tell arsehole managers that I'm finishing on time

Post by South_London_Postie »

Make sure you claim overtime for the time wasted “travelling” back to the office.