ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Contracted hours change

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
EdRush
Posts: 123
Joined: 19 Oct 2016, 20:18
Gender: Male

Contracted hours change

Post by EdRush »

Hi all,

Have any part timers ever been asked to come in at unusual hours outside of their contract?

The hours exactly stipulated in my contract are from '09:30 to 14:30 or 14:00 to 19:00.' Part time, 25 hours per week Monday to Saturday with 1 day off. However, the manager has 'asked' me to come in from 11am to 4pm next week. I assume this is because I will be carrying out 'packet relief' on walks that 'cut off'.

What is the manager's game here? Are they trying to cut down on my overtime? Where do I stand on the hours I work?

Thanks
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

Contracted hours change

Post by enskied »

Manager has to give you 30 days notice of a substantial change in your start and finish time. He can ask you to do it, but he can not insist.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Contracted hours change

Post by rehabron »

EdRush wrote:Hi all,

Have any part timers ever been asked to come in at unusual hours outside of their contract?

The hours exactly stipulated in my contract are from '09:30 to 14:30 or 14:00 to 19:00.' Part time, 25 hours per week Monday to Saturday with 1 day off. However, the manager has 'asked' me to come in from 11am to 4pm next week. I assume this is because I will be carrying out 'packet relief' on walks that 'cut off'.

What is the manager's game here? Are they trying to cut down on my overtime? Where do I stand on the hours I work?

Thanks
The alteration to your contracted hours have to be mutually agreed. In relation to your O/T you will have to complete 39 hours first before the O/T hourly rate is received.
Due to the time of year why don't you suggest to manager that you stay within the time band of your contracted hours and carry out additional work which may be the packet relief.
EdRush
Posts: 123
Joined: 19 Oct 2016, 20:18
Gender: Male

Contracted hours change

Post by EdRush »

So it's well within my right to come in at my contracted time of 9:30 til 14:30, and then book 1h30m overtime if I finish at 4pm?
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Contracted hours change

Post by Seymour Buts »

Out of interest, 2 till 7?!

That's not delivery surely? Do you work in the locker on odd days or something?
EdRush
Posts: 123
Joined: 19 Oct 2016, 20:18
Gender: Male

Contracted hours change

Post by EdRush »

Ive only ever worked the early slot since I joined over a year ago, I dont know what the later slot is for
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Contracted hours change

Post by Creditshampoo »

Most likely packets. Managers in my place were delivering packets themselves today hahaahaha
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Contracted hours change

Post by 97gaz »

[
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
DGH
Posts: 710
Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
Gender: Male
Location: Neither here nor there

Contracted hours change

Post by DGH »

Bizarrely, mine have been changed 'for operational reasons' in such a way that they in fact want me to do fewer hours in the week than I am contractually obliged to perform . . . which I find rather amusing.

As I'm a nice chap I'm going to ask them on Monday if that's what they really want.
Cwtchy bear
Posts: 17
Joined: 17 Dec 2017, 21:06
Gender: Male

Contracted hours change

Post by Cwtchy bear »

I'm on a 20 hour contract (wed to sat) but my Dom has, as of 2 weeks ago put me on a 3 day week and telling me i have to do my hours in those days. I didn't manage it the first week (parcels taken out separately, easier walks etc) and was told that I owe the hours. Is this correct? I argued with him that my contract says 20 and isn't my fault if i work less.
I_Take_My_Breaks
Posts: 55
Joined: 07 Feb 2014, 09:13
Gender: Male

Contracted hours change

Post by I_Take_My_Breaks »

Cwtchy bear wrote:I'm on a 20 hour contract (wed to sat) but my Dom has, as of 2 weeks ago put me on a 3 day week and telling me i have to do my hours in those days. I didn't manage it the first week (parcels taken out separately, easier walks etc) and was told that I owe the hours. Is this correct? I argued with him that my contract says 20 and isn't my fault if i work less.
If your manager has put your on a 3 day week, then I take it you do a 6 hour 40 min duty every day. And as the manager has put you on a 3 day week, it is for HIM to find you work to fill these hours. If you finish early, then speak with the manager on what he needs doing until your finish time. If no work or he can't find you any work, that is not your problem. There is no banking of hours in RM.
Cwtchy bear
Posts: 17
Joined: 17 Dec 2017, 21:06
Gender: Male

Contracted hours change

Post by Cwtchy bear »

If your manager has put your on a 3 day week, then I take it you do a 6 hour 40 min duty every day. And as the manager has put you on a 3 day week, it is for HIM to find you work to fill these hours. If you finish early, then speak with the manager on what he needs doing until your finish time. If no work or he can't find you any work, that is not your problem. There is no banking of hours in RM.[/quote]

Many thanks for the reply. The problem i had was i was sent to a couple of different offices (which was fine as they're nearer where i live) and i assumed the dom's would check the signing in sheets to check start/finish times and report that to my dom. Stupidly i didn't keep a record and my dom says they told him I'd done 5 hours a day. I have a suspicion my dom is fibbing about that tho. I only had a rough idea of what id done but was reluctant to go back out as the rounds aren't familiar to me (presuming there was anything needing doing) So ultimately he can't say i have to pay back the time? (It amazes me the stuff they come out with and I'm never sure if they're bulling me or it is RM policy)
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Contracted hours change

Post by Creditshampoo »

Ok so how far is this office?

You’re entitled to 45 per mile to and from this office. You’re entitled to start at your contractual hours start time at your home office, then travel to the loan office and back to your home office all within your contract hours.

Are you using your own car for travel? You might not be insured so I’d refuse to travel as most travel insurance is for your usual place of work without business insurance. It’s your DOMs job to provide transport.

He’s pulling a fast one speak to your rep or grievance it and he will leave you alone (should leave you alone)
Cwtchy bear
Posts: 17
Joined: 17 Dec 2017, 21:06
Gender: Male

Contracted hours change

Post by Cwtchy bear »

My office is 45 mins away, the 2 i went to are 10 and 20 mins away. I did use my own car and will now put in for mileage (thank you!) It would be a ballache to travel to my office tnen have him arrange travel back to those offices and then have to travel back to my office to then travel home again. I'm trying for a transfer but thats like getting blood from a stone and a whole other thread!