ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

injuries

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
jtshocka
Posts: 24
Joined: 19 Mar 2010, 22:15
Gender: Male

injuries

Post by jtshocka »

IS your DO like a casualty department with the walking wounded , never seen so much suffering knee .back .hip. hernia plantar fasciitis at this rate our only retirement will be walking sticks and wheel chairs
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

injuries

Post by rehabron »

jtshocka wrote:IS your DO like a casualty department with the walking wounded , never seen so much suffering knee .back .hip. hernia plantar fasciitis at this rate our only retirement will be walking sticks and wheel chairs
That's exactly why we are fighting for better T&C, pensions, sick pay, shorter working week, reduced lapsing and increased contract hours etc.
plymouth3
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 119
Joined: 06 Jul 2010, 18:45
Gender: Male

injuries

Post by plymouth3 »

about 30% in my office suffer some degree of plantar fasciitis.

we went park loop about 5 years ago, its killing our posities

we went from 3.5 hour cycle rounds to 5 hour walking
noggin1969
Posts: 1321
Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
Gender: Male

injuries

Post by noggin1969 »

I would have thought the CWU could have put some sort of threat of a class action on the table during the negotiations. Many posties are suffing from musculoskeletal problems , the threat of multi millions pounds in damages like the NCB had to make , might sharpen the focus of RM.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

injuries

Post by peshwaarinaan »

I am in so much pain from PF. My left arch has collapsed so I'm putting all my weight through my left foot as my posture is rubbish which gives me back, neck and shoulder pain. Think my days are numbered. :sad:
BarnsleyLackey
Posts: 349
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
Gender: Male

injuries

Post by BarnsleyLackey »

I doubt anyone above the front lines gives a toss. The goal of management is an agency/temporary workforce, with the less benefits the better. Whether ill health, new job or sacked, every postie that throws in the towel is a celebratory statistic for them. The goal of any long serving postie, aged in their 40s, is to hang on for dear life until at least 55, and hope they aren't too wrecked come retirement time. Cracking and creaking round the Costa Del Sol, once a year, is ultimately how it's going to be for most.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

injuries

Post by eastie »

peshwaarinaan wrote:I am in so much pain from PF. My left arch has collapsed so I'm putting all my weight through my left foot as my posture is rubbish which gives me back, neck and shoulder pain. Think my days are numbered. :sad:
go sick then, why carry on. A lot of posties in my office have had 4-6 weeks off rest
Chelseablue
Posts: 2222
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

injuries

Post by Chelseablue »

Our office the same esp guys been there for a good few years . Hips , back shoulders in a bad way now get home in bits . You do worry bout the future
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

injuries

Post by Dorset Plodder »

peshwaarinaan wrote:I am in so much pain from PF. My left arch has collapsed so I'm putting all my weight through my left foot as my posture is rubbish which gives me back, neck and shoulder pain. Think my days are numbered. :sad:
You have my sympathies PN. I've had PF and it's a bastard. :thumbdown My Doctor said "It'll sort itself out, takes about 12 months". And it did. In the meantime it was plenty of warm up stretches, especially 1st thing in the morning and throughout the day. I was popping Brufen and Paracetamol daily. :Boo hoo!

Spoke to the Doctor reference long term use of Brufen and he just said pop in if you get bad guts. Luckily I never did. As he said "If you need the medication then take it". Never felt so much relief as when it finally sorted itself out. Hope you don't have to suffer too long. :thumbup
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
woody
Posts: 11
Joined: 26 Sep 2007, 15:08

injuries

Post by woody »

Hi
I have had planter fasciitis for over 2 years in both feet along with 3 heel spurs has everyone says the pain is unbearable it doesnt help pushing an HTC for 12 miles a day
I have recently had 6 months off work and I am currently on a back to work plan I have to say my manager Has been very helpful I was surprised the care and help I have had from him . there really is not much you can do i have spent more than £2500 on private treatment with very little help also had 8 injections which did not touch it
but we must try and carry on stay positive .
Edward Hunter
Posts: 680
Joined: 23 May 2007, 22:30

injuries

Post by Edward Hunter »

BarnsleyLackey wrote:I doubt anyone above the front lines gives a toss. The goal of management is an agency/temporary workforce, with the less benefits the better. Whether ill health, new job or sacked, every postie that throws in the towel is a celebratory statistic for them. The goal of any long serving postie, aged in their 40s, is to hang on for dear life until at least 55, and hope they aren't too wrecked come retirement time. Cracking and creaking round the Costa Del Sol, once a year, is ultimately how it's going to be for most.
Good post. I will be glad to hit 55,have the pension in the bag so to speak, but would ideally stay on to 60 maybe a little longer. Its all down to pot luck if i can hang it out that long! But i dont rush and claim when i go over and amazingly feel lucky that at 52 im entering the home straight. Wishing my life away springs to mind, but mainly i feel for the younger fellas, whos bodies will be absolutely wrecked by the crazy amount of walking on delivery nowadays.
frank chambers
Posts: 12
Joined: 23 Jun 2009, 21:56
Gender: Male

injuries

Post by frank chambers »

Like Edward, i too feel lucky at the moment as at 53 i am just managing to do the job and i am relatively injury free, although i can feel the wear and tear it is having so not sure how long ill be able to last. Sixty seems a long way off as the job seems destined to get harder.I am lucky as my van share partner is great , he has kids to collect from school so i do motor round .
My office is a large one and we did have the oldest workforce in our area although now its much depleted, we had a big evr exodus about 3 years ago when van share was brought in but since then have lost an almost similar amount to medical severance , long term injuries and several deaths .When i think about it the casualty rate is staggering ,i wonder how typical our office is
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

injuries

Post by peshwaarinaan »

eastie wrote:
peshwaarinaan wrote:I am in so much pain from PF. My left arch has collapsed so I'm putting all my weight through my left foot as my posture is rubbish which gives me back, neck and shoulder pain. Think my days are numbered. :sad:
go sick then, why carry on. A lot of posties in my office have had 4-6 weeks off rest
I'm on light duties at the mo. It's fine when I'm pottering around but walking for 4-5 hours is crippling me.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

injuries

Post by peshwaarinaan »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
peshwaarinaan wrote:I am in so much pain from PF. My left arch has collapsed so I'm putting all my weight through my left foot as my posture is rubbish which gives me back, neck and shoulder pain. Think my days are numbered. :sad:
You have my sympathies PN. I've had PF and it's a bastard. :thumbdown My Doctor said "It'll sort itself out, takes about 12 months". And it did. In the meantime it was plenty of warm up stretches, especially 1st thing in the morning and throughout the day. I was popping Brufen and Paracetamol daily. :Boo hoo!

Spoke to the Doctor reference long term use of Brufen and he just said pop in if you get bad guts. Luckily I never did. As he said "If you need the medication then take it". Never felt so much relief as when it finally sorted itself out. Hope you don't have to suffer too long. :thumbup
Thanks DP. My GP said it could take up to 3 years to go away!
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

injuries

Post by 97gaz »

I
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.